Author Topic: klinefelters Syndrome?  (Read 2529 times)

Offline babble

• Posting Member
I just saw an endo.  He sent me for bloodwork and I noticed on the form that a checkbox was checked next to klienfelters syndrome.  Why would they be testing me for this?  I'm 5'11", 180 lbs, lots of body hair, average muslce mass.   Here are test results, followed by the reference range.   Does it seem like I have Klinefelters?

DHEA sulfate  6.8, 2-16 umol/L

Testosterone  15.6, 8.5-55.5nmol/L

Free T4  13.3, 7.5-21.1 pmol/L

TSH  1.50, 0.34 - 5.6 mU/L

FSH  3.0, 1.27 - 19.26 IU/L

LH  3.7, 1.2 - 8.6 IU/L

Estrodiol 168, (reference range reads exactly "73-pmol/L")

Prolactin 5.70, 2.6 - 13.1 ug/l  (this reading was flagged) went on to read: Delta 7.3 on 21/01/04-1512

B12 246, 107-675 pmol/L

Serum Ferritin 144.5, 24-336 ug/L

Thanks

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
That's one for Hypo....

John.
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Hypo-is-here

Babble,

The test for Klinefelters could be either a part of a wide ranging screening process and not be indicated by anything in particular other than your gynecomastia or it could be indicated by your clinical presentation.

Contrary to the opinion of many gps it is possible to have Klinefelter Syndrome even with testosterone levels within the normal range, that said one would usually expect to see elevated gonadotropins (LH, FSH) in Klinefelter Syndrome something you do not have.  Your estradiol level is some what elevated and this would suppress your gonadotropins, but I would doubt it would do so to such a degree as I see in your pathology.

If you wanted me to speculate from the limited information that I have, I would say that your estradiol level is the problem, but that Klinefelters is possibly not the issue.

If you want my more diplomatic and careful response it is;

Nothing you have told me indicates Klinefelters so this test may just be part of a wide screening process as I mentioned, but the information I have does not completely exclude the condition and I am not privy to your full clinical presentation and it is not for me to say one way or the other.  

To have an unequivocal answer I would have needed to see your bone structure, know the size of testis via orchidometer and of course see the result of the chromosomal test.

Your endocrinologist is privy to all this information, you need to have a chat with them and raise your concerns- far better than a half baked answer…hopefully he/she is approachable.

P.S

I am going to be here very rarely for some time due to personal circumstances.

Offline babble

• Posting Member
Thanks Hypo!!
I understand my endo will be privy to more info, but unfortunately, I can't go back until mid october!!!  I'd like to know if I'm capable of having kids.   And I'd like to have a reasonable understanding of what is likely causing this gyne.  

This may be more info than people want to know, but my marbles are a little less than 2 inches from pole to pole, however, my hips are a little larger than most dudes.

Is it possible to have average size testes/penis, lots of body hair (full beard, hairy torso), average muscle mass, in good shape, but still have Klinefelters syndrome?

I know it's impossible to know for sure, I just want to make a reasonable assumption.

Offline Hypo-is-here

I don't want to go further into this as I am not looking at the complete clinical picture/presentation (something that you couldn't really detail for me) and I do not want to give you any misleading information.

If concerned/worried as you seem to be a phone call to your endocrinologist and a forthright chat is what is required.  

I think that is the bottom line.

Best to you.

I am going to be here very rarely for some time due to personal circumstances.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 01:50:05 PM by Hypo-is-here »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024