Author Topic: Questions on CoQ-10 and L-Carnitine  (Read 4907 times)

Offline Needhelp

• Posting Member
Does anyone have any information on the over the counter drugs CoQ-10 and L-Carnitine.

I've read some information on the internet but would love to hear from people who actually have some experience with one or the other.

I have gynecomastia on one side that I'm about 90% certain is an adverse side affect from taking Advicor a cholesteral lowing medication.

Thanks for your help

Offline skyhawk

• Gold Member
Based on my personal research and advice from a
a PS. Cholesterol lowering drugs can cause Gyne.

And I belive I discovered the reason why. The human body uses cholesterol to manufacture steroid hormones. Yes Testosterone. So taking lipid lowering drugs like lipitor, etc, can induce hormonal imbalances.

Co Q 10 and L- Carnatine is used to try to correct statin induced myopathy. Some people who have suffered muscle pain and weakness from cholesterol lowering drugs report some improvement with coQ10, but not complete recovery. I have never heard of CoQ10 helping Gynecomastia.

Why are you taking a cholesterol lowering Drug? Do you have a genuine lipid problem? And if so, has your doctor tried to get to the underlying cause of the problem? Or did he just throw a pill at your blood lipids because the drug rep bought his lunch?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I could be wrong, but heres mine:

Maintain healthy levels of cholesterol to maintain hormonal balance, cellular integrity and nerve protection, and don't let the Drug companies tell you otherwise with their TV ads.

Cholesterol lowering drugs are high risk with no proven benefit. I have suffered from them, I have friends who have suffered from them, and I watched a man dying from them.

Consider this: We have been lowering cholesterol now for 35 years, yet heart disease marches on undetered.  Hmmm.....interesting thought, isn't it?

But as far as your gynecomastia in one breast, odds are you will need surgery. Where do you live? Maybe some guys can recommend a good surgeon in your area. After all thats what this site is about, helping each other out.

Sorry if I sounded harsh about the cholesterol drug. I'm not sold on them.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I really  like that response. Though mine is more simplistc.

Cholesterol can be managed in most cases with good diet and that has no adverse effects.

Cholesterol medications put an added burden on the liver, and diminished liver function can cause Gynecomastia.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Needhelp

• Posting Member
 Thanks Skyhawk and Paa_Paw for your excellent responses. You both have given me some very valid information and I agree with both of your replies.

First to answer Skyhawk’s question my Internist began giving me pills about 1 ½ years ago to lower my Tryglicerides. The more drugs I took the higher they got. Last May my count rose to 390, which is when he put me on Advicor 1000/20mg at night and Niaspan 500mg in the morning. Two months later I developed the gynecomastia on the left side and have had it ever since. Needless to say I stopped all the perscribed medication. My Tryglicerides have come down to 320 and I’m being very careful with my diet.

Two weeks ago I decided to go to an Endocrinologist. She tested my blood for several things and asked lots of questions.  If the blood test came back with any negative results from my liver, cancer, diabetes, etc. she would call me otherwise she said I should come back in 5 weeks.

The Endocrinologist told me the pain and swelling in my left breast may go away with medication but it would take at least 6 months. She did not tell me what the medication would be because she wanted to do the blood work first.

To make a long story short I agree with both of you guys. People should not take prescribed drugs to regulate lipids (Cholesterol and Triglicerides). I should have known better with all the warnings on TV of all the side affects.

I asked about the CoQ-10 and L-Carnidine because I heard it may help. I want to learn as much as I can about this.

Thanks

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
...has your doctor tried to get to the underlying cause of the problem? Or did he just throw a pill at your blood lipids because the drug rep bought his lunch?

VERY good question.   My job brings me face to face with a lot of people who tell me about their medicines.  A LOT of them, especially older people, are on expensive cholesterol-lowering drugs.  There are a lot of honest and caring doctors out there, but some of these people are on those drugs for no apparent reason.  I believe doctors get more than lunch from the  drug reps.  
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline skyhawk

• Gold Member
Hey Needhelp,

I used to have high tricgycerides, mine jumped up to 1,040! I had a great lifestyle. Ate right and exercised.
My problem turned out to be thyroid function. With a TSH test of 6.0 my triglycerides shot up to 1,040. No kidding.

You might want to ask for a copy of any thyroid labs your endo ran. If your TSH is above 3.0 it might be the reason for the elevated lipids. Also check Free T4 and Free T3 labwork.

I went undiagnosed for 10 years because a doctor failed to call me and tell me my thyroid labs were out of range. Don't let it happen to you. Get a copy of the lab report. You deserve to know your lab results.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
If there was anything available over the counter which was effective at reducing or getting rid of Gynecomastia; This site would not be around very long.

That is just my way of saying that there is nothing available without a prescription that is safe and effective at reducing Gynecomastia.

There are prescription medications which have been reported as effective in a small number of selected cases; but I have not seen any supportive documentation.

User stories do not constitute supportive documentation. This kind of anecdotal evidence is often used to support the claims made by various snake oil merchants---do not fall for it.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024