Author Topic: If it's not one thing it's another...  (Read 2021 times)

Offline neato

• Posting Member
I'm just annoyed...

So the doc says they can squeeze me in last minute on Monday morning so I don't have to wait until after New Years.  Unfortunatly that means I'm in a mad rush for the last three days to get all my bloodwork done (CBC/PT/PTT etc) so the doc can see it.

I get it all, takes Kaiser a day to get the results which came in this morning.  I go meet with my personal MD down there since I've explained to him what I was doing and he goes over the results and says they all look fine and are within "normal" range, except for the PT time (how long it takes for blood to clot), which is off by 1 second on the high side or @ 1.2 INR.  He says, that withstanding, and all the other bloodwork (and my healthy history) taken into account the surgeon should have no problem with the results.

So I make a mad dash back to my house so I can fax the results in before everyone leaves for the weekend, since I'm supposed to be there at 7am Monday morning, and the surgeon has to review the results.  I get a call 45 seconds later telling me that the results of the PT were unacceptable because they were outside of the "normal" range (which is subjective) by .2 INR (or one second).

For a half a second I started to say that my other Dr. talked to me about it and he said that with my medical history (or lack of) taken into account, and the rest of the bloodwork coming back well within normal, that this probably wouldn't be an issue.  I quickly dropped that rationale as it's akin to "gee dad, but mom said I could" and accepted it for what it was.

So I was told my only option is to show up at 7am, have my surgery bumped to 11am, take another PT at their lab first thing in the morning and cross my fingers that this was just a fluke.

I called my Kaiser GP back he gave me the whole rundown of what it could be.  He said since I don't have hepatitis, cirhosis or appear to have any other symptoms of liver/kidney disease that it's either I didn't have enough Vitamin K in my system at that point in time (since it was over the norm by such a low amount) or that I have some other congenital defect.  I'm really pulling for the Vitamin K thing because it would be a real shame to have boobs and some kind liver or kidney disease.  ::)

Then he just told me to take like 5mg of K every six hours or so every day until Monday morning and in theory that should normalize things.  Called back the surgeon's office and the attending nurse agreed that was acceptable.

So, God damn... if it's not one thing, it's another.

:)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 12:01:54 AM by neato »

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
Dude, settle down, you made me nervous reading that.

I feel like I experienced a sharp spike in my blood pressure.

I'm sure everything's going to be ok, you've waited this long, just wait a little longer.

Offline neato

• Posting Member
Yeah, I know... I'm *that* worried about it... it's just the annoyance factor of it all.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024