Author Topic: Help: Where to go from here  (Read 3951 times)

Offline fiXXXer

• Bronze Member
So,
I asked (all through email) my insurance company, Coventry, if they cover gynecomastia surgery.  They responding, saying that they need a CPT code from my doctor.  I had no idea what a CPT code is, but I have a good friend at Johns Hopkins.  She told me the code could be 19140, which is mastectomy for gynecomastia.  I then relayed this information to Coventry, to which they replied that 19140 is not a valid code.  I told my friend at Johns Hopkins, and she looked into it.  It turns out that Coventry did not have any information or policies on gynecomastia.  When she was done, they now recognized that gynecomastia exists, and 19140 is now a valid code (as it should be).  However, they also immediately considered the surgery to be cosmetic, and as such, will not pay for it.

From the email detailing Coventry's new (first) policy on gynecomastia:
Okay, here's the story.
Coventry now recognizes the CPT Code 19140, however, unless you are diagnosed with breast cancer or a physician concludes that it is medically necessary, it is not covered under your insurance or any else's for that matter for cosmetic reasons.

So here are my questions:
  • How can I make an appeal?  Since I have not "officially" asked Coventry if they will cover surgery, I suppose that I have not been "officially" turned down, and thus, can not make an appeal, right?
  • How do I "officially" see if Coventry will cover the surgery?  Do I need to first get the surgery done, or do I ask them for pre-approval?
  • How do I go about scheduling doctor and psychiatrist appointments so that I can get them to write up their appeal letters?
  • In summary, what next?

--Kyle Johnson
Facing what consumes you is the only way to be free!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Dude...

Start saving your coin and before you know it, you'll have enough money for surgery...  ;)

'Psychiatrist' appointments.... dude, we all know that Gyne messes with our heads, but insurance companies don't give a crap about our mental health.

Best of luck if you choose to 'Go to War' with your Ins. Co...

John.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 01:54:25 PM by Grandpa Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline flex1appeal

In general, the majority of all insurance companies say the same thing. Officially or unofficially what difference does how you get turned down make? Bottom line is, they will turn you down. Gynecomastia surgery is hard to prove it is due to medical reasons. It puts you in no health risks. The only reason I have heard people getting insurance to cover this procedure is for persistent and terrible pain caused by it. And it's hard to prove pain to an insurance company. Pain is all relative. Sure, you can try but the odds are against you. Best bet is start saving now and expect to pay out of pocket.

flex

Offline codemiester2006

• Posting Member
 I know this post is really really old... but I am asking about gyne surgery with coventry insurance as well... I told them the code maybe they have changed their policy since then :/ If they didnt have it on the books... idk maybe they will accept psychological reasons since it has pretty much wrecked my life :/ I can only hope for the best.

Offline xelnaga13

@ Original poster. You are going about getting insurance coverage the wrong way. What you need to do is put them in the position where legally they HAVE to cover your operation. Every insurance company is different but here's the process:

1. Get a letter from your primary stating that you are in good health and not on any medication that would cause gyno
2. Get blood work with and endo that says your hormones are normal
3. Get mammogram showing actual breast tissue
4. Get surgeon to write a letter stating that you are in constant pain and the procedure is medically necessary

The surgeon will bundle all of this and send it away. I would avoid getting a letter from a psychiatrist. Insurance companies dont care if your body makes you unhappy- so putting a letter from a shrink will send up a red flag that your condition is not medically necessary.

I completed all these steps and had my entire surgery including lipo covered by insurance. The list looks like it would take a long time to complete, but it doesnt have to. If you tell the docs that you are preparing for surgery they will get you in faster.

Offline xelnaga13

My surgeon has done hundreds of gyno surgeries and stated that I was one of 3 guys that got insurance to cover the operation. The other 2 guys had severe gyno.

Offline codemiester2006

• Posting Member
just an update... coventry insurance said they would not cover gynecomastia surgery... which I refered to as "bi-lateral breast biopsy" or something to that effect... It was a no go for me... but I am thinking about gettin the doc in on this... I do have back pain when sitting for a long time I assume I could say it was causing great stress in my back... my back is hurting right now from sitting at this computer :/ >:(

Offline xelnaga13

Sorry to hear that. You should request a copy of the letter your surgeon sent requesting the surgery. It can be very telling. My first surgery was denied;  after reading the lame request letter my surgeon sent I wasnt surprised at all.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024