Author Topic: A cost-benefit analysis  (Read 2039 times)

Offline realist85

• Posting Member
I have had gyn since the age of 11. I had surgery at the age of 16, but it came back because the surgeon did not remove enough tissue and I was not done with puberty.

Regardless, I realized how much this held me back when thinking back the tons of opportunities I had in my life. Thinking economically, the cost of this condition is huge in terms of loss of life experience. And it will be huge in the future, which is why I decided to have a consultation with Dr. Jacobs and am planning surgery for April.

What I don't understand is why people are very concerned about the cost. When I think about how much I have lost out on life as a result of this condition, the 7K necessary to get a quality surgeon is incredibly insignificant. Why cannot one just take a loan and get the surgery, or live for a few months living very frugally and working constantly? While I am constantly inspired by stories on this site of people taking charge of their lives, as an economics student, I am saddened by the plight of those who are doing nothing, either for cost reasons or shyness.

Why are there still so many out there?

Offline man-chest-r

• Bronze Member
realist, I guess because people, me being one don't deal with this in a straightfoward cost-benefit way.

There was a mix of stuff going on in my mind. Not least, it was hard to admit, despite everything, that I wasn't normal, I was embarrased to talk about it, etc etc so I didn't bite the bullet till now, my late 40s.

Now, I still think there are costs I am paying still psychologically, and I would really encourage younger guys to get it sorted soonest.

I have to say, this board is a wonderful thing in coming to terms with gyne, wish it had been around, and I had known of it years ago, and I think the people who set it up and run it are very special human beings. Praise be to them.

Offline realist85

• Posting Member
That's fair. I guess it is hard to distance one's self from such an emotionally strong issue and make decisions based purely on logic. I personally just got fed up.

Offline GrandMstrBud

• Bronze Member
For me the only thing stopping me is the money. I have a big student loan to pay off and I would like to get a better car and a house before I would want to spend the money on this. If it was only around 2,000 or so then I would do it right away but for 5,000 plus I don't see it happening anytime soon even though I am getting older and it sucks going to pools with my kid and not swimming or making excuses not to when I would really love to but it's been that way my whole life.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024