Author Topic: Surgery time. Is later in the day bad?  (Read 1849 times)

Offline chansam

• Bronze Member
Hi everyone.  I have surgery scheduled in 2 weeks and I just found out my surgery is scheduled for 3PM in the afternoon.  I have heard that surgeries done first thing in the morning are better because you are the first patient the surgeon works on since its morning his mind is fresh and his work is better.  Does anyone have any opinions on this?  I know these are highly skilled surgeons we are talking about, but can the time of the surgery affect the quality of work?

Also, since you cannot eat a certain time before the surgery what is the cutoff for me to eat something that day?  If surgery is in the morning, the eating part is much easier because you just wake up and go to surgery and eat later.

Offline unleash

• Posting Member
  • I wish.....damn Gyne
 ;D
Hello dude!!
I read your earlier post,I personally think that you should go for surgery first thing in the morning.
Since the nervousness is worrying you ..you wont agree for the operation if its in the afnoon..thats after almost 9 hrs(6AM to 3 PM) of thinking in the hospital bed.
If its in the morning,its gonna take place before you even think about it much.
I recommend u rescheduling it to the mornin hours abt 8AM wud be fine..
Now about the surgery part..
Every man n woman is scared of anything they do for the first time.
Its in our blood..what we are unaware of scares us..eg:the dark..death..snakes..spiders.
But once you get the hang of it...it gets into place just like all the other things we do all day.
So dont worry about it...once you get it done..u'd find that it wasnt so bad.
I was bit by a scorpion once..but now I think it wasnt so bad.I can take another one (Not willingly tho)..hehe.So now i end up brave enough to hold a scorpion.
Thats life!!!
Hope this helped out ..Bye.
 ;) ;) ;)
And if you feel tensed sometimes..just look at your boobs and tell them that they aint gonna be jumpin any more..tell them Who's laughing now....hahaha ;)
We Are What WE Do.
    Our Deeds Make The Man Within Us.

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member
I dont think it really matters.
I mean, on 1 hand, you could say the Dr. Isn't "fresh" at 3 pm, on the other hand, would you want him working on you 1st thing in the morning, while he is groggy and wiping the sleep out of his eyes?
Both sound just as silly if you ask me.
He is a professional, what time of day your surgery is, will make no difference to him.
And, for the record, you won't have to lay in a hospital bed for 9 hours.
You'll probably go in 1-1/2 hrs before the surgery time, regardless of when it is.

the fasting, generally from midnight on the night before a surgery is to prevent any complications from anethesia (my understanding), so its very important to have an EMPTY stomach.  Now you could go in to the hospital and PLAN on a 3 pm surgery, but whose to say it won't be bumped to say 12 pm...its happened before right?  so I say its better to be safe (empty) then sorry (dead).  im sure some will say if your surgery is at 3, you can eat until 3 am, but whats the difference?  you'll still be hungry come surgery, but youll also be nervous and anxious....just stop eating by midnight, thats what id do.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024