Author Topic: newbie who needs answers to some questions.....  (Read 2726 times)

Offline hooters

• Posting Member
hi i just recently found this website and got the courage to tell my parents that i have gynecomastia. they were very cool about it to my surprise and said they would pay for the surgery if i need it. i am going to my doctor tomarrow and i was just wondering what questions i should ask him???? your help is appreciated. i am 19 years old and have suffered from gynocomastia for about 4 years and finally something is getting done about it.. I also i heard that marijuana causes gynecomastia and i smoke just about every day but im gonna quit before i get the surgery and after.. does anyone know if theis really causes it and if i continue to smoke after i get the surgery will the gynecomastia come back?????

thanks alot!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline hypo

Hi hooters,

You need to get an appointment to see an endocrinologist and have blood pathology so that he can rule out any underlying causes of your gynecomastia.

Then you see what your endocrinologist has to say (given he is an expert in what can cause gynecomastia- plastic surgeons are experts only in its removal)- most of the time it will be strightforward and you  then get a referral to a plastic surgeon of your choice.  

People on the site may be able to help you obtain the details for a quality surgeon- if not that is something your endocrinologist will be able to help with.

If you tell me where you live I can try and get the details of good endocrinologists for you.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Hello Hooters,

Hypo has already given you some great advice, but perhaps I can help with info about the Marijuana connection to Gynecomastia.

Excess estrogen causes breast growth.

The male hormone testosterone is sometimes converted to estrogen in the fat cells.

The active agent in marijuana is not water soluable but is an oil, so it binds to the fat cells and has potential effects on the function of those cells.

I do not know the chemistry involved, but I think you can see a connection just as well as I can.

Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024