Author Topic: OHIP coverage for procedure?  (Read 2873 times)

Offline lifeplay55

• Posting Member
So as with many stories i have had Gyne now since age 13 and will be turning 20 and have really remained private about it for years. Well today i finally went to my family doctor and was checked out for it. They discussed blood testing to see if hormonal treatments would help first. When i mentioned that i was prepared for surgical methods they didnt seem sure if OHIP was still covering the procedure and i have yet to find a straight yes or no on the topic. Many posts online from 2-4 years so say yes but more recently it seems hit and miss. I live in London, ON and have heard of a Dr.Roberston or something similar who did perform some gyne surgeries at St.Josephs under OHIP coverage and mentioned this to my doctors with mixed reactions. Has anyone recieved a surgery covered by OHIP recently? Any ideas as to the ministries stand on the matter? On the ministry website, the Gyne surgery OHIP code is registers as 611 which i do not understand, does the procedure recieve coverage or is it an older code? Any help would be very much appreciated

Offline gynoboy88

• Posting Member
It is not covered by OHIP.

Dr. Fielding (who works out of St Joseph's) can have OHIP cover some of the cost because he works out of the hospital. The surgery with Fielding is thus cheaper than with other surgeons... But you won't get it done for free covered by OHIP, unfortunately! 

Offline lifeplay55

• Posting Member
Hmm disappointing but understandable, from what research i have done the tissue that is to be excised is covered but any additional lypo is extra? have you any idea the cost of that?

Offline gynoboy88

• Posting Member
Hmm disappointing but understandable, from what research i have done the tissue that is to be excised is covered but any additional lypo is extra? have you any idea the cost of that?

It seems like (from reading the posts on here) that most people pay around $3k with Fielding, give or take.  It all depends on your particular case.

Offline lifeplay55

• Posting Member
Yea i figured that, but im still curious if i can receive the excision but not the lypo in order to maintain low costs, student life is not allocating me a lot of spending money

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024