Author Topic: Surgeons in Calgary or Edmonton  (Read 6604 times)

Offline ninja

Hello, Anyone in the Calgary or Edmonton area able to tell me whether any surgeons in Calgary bill Alberta Health care for the cost of the surgery? I called Dr. Haugrud's office today as I understood he billed to AHC but was told by the person that answered the phone that he no longer takes patients looking for Gynecomastia treatment. :"( I called Dr. Perron and booked a consult but he doesnt bill to AHC.

Any other surgeons that anyone can recommend?

Offline siphon

• Silver Member
Ive only known of Dr Haugrud charging AHC, I didnt know that he no longer does gyno surgery!

I had surgery with him over two years ago and I definitely need a revision.  He did excision mostly, but did not provide or tell me about compression garments. I trusted him to do a good job but the end result is not something I'm happy with. I've been back several times for cortizone injections, which have helped with the scar tissue but there still is quite a bit of fat in the area. (im 5'9 and 165 lbs, so im not overweight)

I've booked a consult with dr perron, as he seems to do a good job with minimal revision, but I'll have to wait until December. Not sure when hes booking surgeries for tho.

Offline Storm

• Posting Member
I was looking to get the proceedure done by Dr. Toy because of other positive reviews of him on these boards. Unfortunately, after waiting two months to get a consultation appointment with him, I was informed he no longer does it under AHC and that the cost of the surgery could be as much as ten thousand dollars. I can't afford that and I doubt many other people can either. My guess is he decided it wasn't something he wanted to do anymore and decided to jack up his cost to keep people from coming to see him for it. Very dissapointing.

Personally I'm on the lookout for a surgeon who has gotten good results and who does the surgery under AHC (not holding my breath but I've got 3 kids so spending money on an "unnecessary" surgery isn't a real option, although imo psychologically it is necessary as I'm sure most people on these boards would agree), or charges under $4000.00 for it. I've heard that most Edmonton doctors are very expensive. I'll "shop around" for a bit and post here what I find, especially prices and if they're able to provide a link to before/after pictures that they've done on patients.

If anyone else has access to that kind of information it would be quite helpful, I think people search for and look at places like this but don't want to contribute because they don't want to be associated with it (which is understandable when people spend most of their lives trying to hide that they have it). The thing is, if people were willing to post about what surgeons they'd found and how it went, it would be a lot easier for all of us, that's why this website exists.

Offline Storm

• Posting Member
Okay, so, it turns out that what i was told about Dr. Toy was a load of crap that was passed on by my GP's receptionist. Today I called Dr Toy's office to check and see if the information I'd been given was accurrate and his receptionist told me that she has never seen a surgery for gynecomastia cost as much as $10,000. She said the cost would be based on how much tissue needed to be removed, whether liposuction needed to be done and if so how much. I re-booked a consultation myself with her and I'm going to see him in mid-december. They did want a referral still, so I re-contacted my gp's office to ask them to fax it.

Long story short, not sure how much Dr Toy will cost but his receptionist says that $10,000 is way high, so he's probably more in the range of other surgeons. I will post here how much he's charging these days (honestly I don't blame him for not going through AHC anymore btw given the tiny amount AHC gives to surgeons for correcting what should be fully classified as a deformity) after I've had my appointment. 

Sorry for the misinformation in my original post, that was all from the office of my GP (she was probably trying to do me a favor by letting me know it could cost a fair bit).

Offline Edmontonian

Any updates? I am currently looking for treatment as I believe I have gynecomastia.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024