Author Topic: fact or BS  (Read 5973 times)

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
In day to day life, others can't tell. I have no idea what percentage of guys have it.

We will never know the actual stats. Like jc said, too many guys hide it to get an accurate count. My Mother's dad had it and my Son-In-Law has it.
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Accurate statistics would have to include those boys and men who had palpable breast tissue growth which  is not necessarily observable.  

What is sometimes called Pseudo-gynecomastia or fatty breasts in the case of obese individuals would have to be taken into account in some way as well.

I liked Dr. Bermants remarks, and to his credit.  I would add that Cosmetic Surgery is a comparatively new specialty and as such each practioner is as much an artist and inovator as well as being a surgeon.  Each originates methods that work well for themselves.  So when Dr. Bermant (or any other surgeon) describes their particular technique as being in some way unique, It is probably true.  Like any other craftsman or artist, they are proud of their methods and will justifiably boast.

As to the asymetry, look carefully at the face of someone you think is very attractive.  If you study their face carefully, you will find that the eyes are slightly different in size or that one is higher than the other.  The same will be true of the ears.  Now draw an imaginary vertical line down the middle of the face,  Rarely is the line very straight.  A truly symetrical face is actually rather uninteresting to look at.  Chances are, your hands and feet differ in size slightly too.  All of this is normal.

Grandpa Dan

Offline hypo

Prevalence of gynecomastia studies.

It should be noted that the people who are listed as having gynecomastia in these studies have had it clinically diagnosed.  Criteria does differ, which basically means the definition of what is termed 'medically concerning gynecomastia' differs depending upon that interpretation. The criteria is given.

*measurements indictae the size of the subareola mass as determined on examination.  

Pubertal gynecomastia Studies

Nydick et al.  Group studied- Boy scouts.  
Criteria used* 0.5cm.  Age of subjects 10-16 number studies 1865. With gynecomastia 722- 38%.

Neyzi et al.  Group studied- Turkish schoolboys.
Criteria used* firm subareolar tissue.  Age of subjects 9-17.  Number studied 993.  With gynecomastia 70- 7%.

Lee.  Group studied- U.S Schoolboys.  
Criteria used* firm subareola disk.  Age of subjects pubertal boys.  Number studied 29.  With gynecomastia 20- 69%.

Fara et al.  Group studied- Italian Schoolboys.
Criteria used* 0.5cm.  11-14.  Number studied 681.  With gynecomastia 228- 33%  

Harlan et al.  Group studied- U.S youths.
Criteria used* 1cm  Age of subjects 12-17.  Number studied 3522.  With gynecomastia 147- 4%.

Moore et al.  Group studied- normal Swiss volunteers.
Criteria used* 0.5cm.  Age of subjects 8.5-17.5.  Number studied 135.  With gynecomastia 30- 22%.

Biro et al.  Group studied- U.S schoolboys
Criteria used* palpable glandular tissue.  Age of subjects 10-15.  Number studied 377.  With gynecomastia 183- 49%.

Adult gynecomastia studies

Williams Group studied Autopsy.
Criteria used* histological.  Age of subjects- all adults
Number studied 447.  With gynecomastia 178- 40%

Nuttall.  Group studied U.S military personnel.  
Criteria used* 2cm.  Age of subjects 17-58.  Number studied 306.  With gynecomastia 108- 36%.

Ley et al.  Group studied- contraceptive-trial volunteers
Criteria used* 2cm.  Age of subjects 19-39.  Number studied 63.  With gynecomastia 22- 35%.

Carlson.  Group studied- veterens.  
Criteria used not stated.  Age of subjects adults.  Number studied 100.  With gynecomastia 32- 32%.

Andersen and Gram.  Group studied- unselected autopsies.  Criteria used histological.  Age of subjects adults.  Number of subjects 100.  With gynecomastia 55- 55%.

Niewoehner and Nuttall.  Group studied- veterens.  
Criteria used 2cm.  Age of subjects 27-92.  Number studied 214.  With gynecomastia 140- 65%

I shall post these in a separate thread so other may view.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024