Author Topic: tattoo to cover incision scar  (Read 4280 times)

Offline pd12380

Several years ago I had gynecomastia surgery that left some incision scars. I would like to cover the incisions with a tattoo, either matching the scar with the areola color or a generic tattoo to cover the incisions.

Regarding a 'medical tattoo' to match the areola color, where would I find one of these artists? or would a regular tattoo artist be able to match the color? Also based on the photo, would this be the better option? I would prefer just matching the areola color if possible.. rather than a large tattoo on my chest

Please see attached photo.

Thank you

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It's a small photo but the scar looks like quite an acceptable one.

Yes, if you wish to camouflage it further, you can seek a tattoo artist or a medical tattoo person.  The tattoo artist may have a vast experience and might be able to tattoo just the right pigment color into the scar -- but understand it will make the diameter of the areola slightly larger.  And sometimes there is not quite the perfect color match -- no matter how you try.

A medical tattoo artist (frequently a nurse) might be able to be located through a local hospital.  They frequently will tattoo an areola on a woman who has had a mastectomy -- so they are skilled as well.

Honestly, this is a fairly good scar -- and one that would not be noticed by many people.  However, I understand that for you it may be objectionable.

I think a camouflage tattoo would be far more preferable than a generic tattoo, which would actually call more attention to your chest.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I agree completely with Dr. Jacobs regarding the quality of your scar. It's really quite good, and depending on how long ago your surgery was, it may continue to improve.  I say this because what bothers me about the scar is some mild hyperpigmentation of the areola on the inside of the scar, and it's possible that over time, that may fade, making the scar even less apparent.

Tattooing the scar might help, but in general, scar does not pick up the tattoo pigment as well as the normal skin, and as a result, it can be quite challenging to get a perfect match.  I do areolar tattooing in my practice as part of breast reconstruction, and personally, I think a skilled tattoo artist may get a better result, though some of the nurses who do medical tattooing are quite talented as well. Take your time to find someone who can get you your best result.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com