Author Topic: Different between gynecomastia and pseudo gynecomastia?  (Read 19136 times)

Offline essentiallyz

Can somebody please explain clearly what is the different between gynecomastia and pseudogynecomastia?
Is true that if have pseudogynecomastia... it is easy to get rid of with good diet and exercise?  Also, how would you know which one you have?

I will post my pictures soon.

DrBermant

Can somebody please explain clearly what is the different between gynecomastia and pseudogynecomastia?
Is true that if have pseudogynecomastia... it is easy to get rid of with good diet and exercise?  Also, how would you know which one you have?

I will post my pictures soon.

Gynecomastia male breasts can be fat, gland, or most commonly a combination of both.  Sometimes skin and sagging tissues can be a factor.  Pseudo Gynecomastia Pseudogynecomastia) is supposed to be fat only gynecomastia.  The problem with that "classification" is that in almost every case of gynecomastia I have seen there is some component of gland.  This gland can be very small, but it is present almost all the time.  So do you have Pseudo gynecomastia when there is a 1%, 10%, 50%, or 90% deformity from fat?  Reality just does not work that way.

The Anatomy of Gynecomastia will consist of fat, gland, and skin. This is the same as Female Breast Anatomy. A natural female breast will have gland, fat and skin. When a female breast has more fat, it is not called a "Pseudo Breast."  The female breast is no more a breast with more gland than one of more fat.

These are reasons I do not like the term "pseudogynecomastia."

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Unfortunately, the term "pseudo-gynecomastia" has come into the medical literature.  However, those who deal with this problem (ie gynecomastia surgeons) know that there is virtually no male breast that is constituted entirely of fat tissue -- there is always some amount of breast tissue present.  The use of the term has lead men to believe that you can "exercise it away because it is only fat."  Nope, sorry, that's wrong.

In my practice, I do not use the term -- it is irrelevant.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
Gynecomastia that is composed entirely of fat is considered pseudogynecomastia.  You may have pseudogynecomastia if you are overweight, in which case diet and exercise may help.  Although a majority of men actually have classic gynecomastia, which is  comprised of both excess fat and glandular tissue.  Please click here for an explanation of the different types of gynecomastia.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 12:13:12 PM by Dr. Cruise »
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There is a double whammy from being considerably overweight.  First, there is obvious deposition of fat on the chest -- this is one of the first places that will enlarge when you are overweight.  The other whammy is that fat tissue itself works biochemically to produce additional estrogen, which in turn stimulates your breast tissue to grow.  Thus, it is rare, in my experience, to have an overweight person who just has fat alone -- most often there is some additional breast tissue as well.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Quote from: Dr. Cruise link=topic=20579.msg140440#msg140440 date=1273266308
Gynecomastia that is composed entirely of fat is considered pseudogynecomastia.

One of the docs here (can't recall who) said that all males have some degree of glandular tissue...  Is this not true?

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Grandpa Bambu

The anatomy of Gynecomastia will consist of fat, gland, and skin. This is the same as female breast anatomy. A natural female breast will have gland, fat and skin. When a female breast has more fat, it is not called a "Pseudo Breast"The female breast is no more a breast with more gland than one of more fat.

These are reasons I do not like the term "pseudogynecomastia."

EXACTLY!!!  ;)

GB...

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Unfortunately, the term "pseudo-gynecomastia" has come into the medical literature.  However, those who deal with this problem (ie gynecomastia surgeons) know that there is virtually no male breast that is constituted entirely of fat tissue -- there is always some amount of breast tissue present.  The use of the term has lead men to believe that you can "exercise it away because it is only fat."  Nope, sorry, that's wrong.

Dr Jacobs

I agree with Doc J... Chest adipose tissue that has resulted form hormonal imbalance is, for the most part, permanent... It cannot be exercised away... and the term, 'Pseudo'gynecomastia, as Doc J mentioned... is IRRELEVANT!!!

GB...

DrBermant

Quote from: Dr. Cruise link=topic=20579.msg140440#msg140440 date=1273266308
Gynecomastia that is composed entirely of fat is considered pseudogynecomastia.

One of the docs here (can't recall who) said that all males have some degree of glandular tissue...  Is this not true?

GB...

I have been educating that point for many years. Here is on such post from 2006 here:

Breast gland connects to the nipple, the central structure of the areola.  The anatomy is set up so that milk can be delivered to the nipple from gland, through ducts, to the skin.  This is true for all mammals, both sexes included.  In women hormones make breasts big enough to feed babies.  Some gland exists in all men.  Just because it is there does not mean it must be removed.

When an imbalance of hormones exist in men, the glands can enlarge.

The anatomy of the gland to ducts to nipple can be used to demonstrate gland sometimes. When pushing the mass behind the nipples back, the tethering or connections to the skin, will sometimes pull the nipple skin back also.

This is different from the thin muscle under the areola skin that can flatten tissue when stimulated. Unfortunately it is impractical to keep stimulating these muscles.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline Eric Robertson

• Bronze Member
  • It's time to spread the word about Gynecomastia
I think they should have in bold font everywhere on this site. "GYNECOMASTIA CANNOT BE CURED THROUGH DIET AND EXERCISE!!!!!!"

Common misbelief many individuals have. It's quite sad to here someone say to you: "Well, if you would have lost some weight BEFORE surgery, maybe it wouldn't be so bad." It doesn't work like that....because not only is an individual already affected by the gynecomastia, now someone has to criticize their weight?

Sad society we live in people....sad society indeed.

-Oleska-
Surgery Date: 6/06/06
Surgeon: Dr. Elliot Jacobs M.D., F.A.C.S., F.I.C.S., P.C.
Procedure: Liposuction and incision under the nipple.
Cost: $6,500
Discovery Health: Plastic Surgery Before and After I was featured in: http://www.gynecomastianewyork.com/teen_dhc_video1.html

DrBermant

I think they should have in bold font everywhere on this site. "GYNECOMASTIA CANNOT BE CURED THROUGH DIET AND EXERCISE!!!!!!"

Common misbelief many individuals have. It's quite sad to here someone say to you: "Well, if you would have lost some weight BEFORE surgery, maybe it wouldn't be so bad." It doesn't work like that....because not only is an individual already affected by the gynecomastia, now someone has to criticize their weight?

Sad society we live in people....sad society indeed.

-Oleska-

Actually you are right and wrong. Weight Loss can help with the fat component of Gynecomastia. Residual gland and loose skin may be factors, but that is still a major difference.

The main issue here is that Plastic Surgery is not an alternative to losing weight. Contouring someone with excessive global body fat will result in a compromise result: breasts that are smaller, but still present on a body that still looks overweight deformed with global fat. In fact a morbidly obese or heavier patient is at major risk living with the excess fat. That is why the term for those with a BMI of 40 - 49.9 is called morbid. These patients are also at much higher risk for elective surgery. Losing weight for those at such risk can extend their lives and make surgery safer.  

I work with many patients who lose weight. The common theme is that they tell me they feel much better with the weight gone than before. The problem with weight loss, is that you cannot pick where the fat comes from and the belly and chest are the last for the fat to come from. In addition After Weight Loss loose skin can be a significant deforming factor.

• Here is one Male Mastopexy Chest Lift Patient who lost 60 pounds. Yes, there was skin, residual fat, and gland, but he was so much happier after losing the weight. The plastic surgery could then act as a tool of refinement.
  • Here is another Male Chest Lift with residual issues after he lost 40 - 50 pounds.
  • Here is yet another Male Chest Lift on a patient after a 75 pound weight loss. Again, the coarse tool was the weight loss, the surgery was then for refinement.

Each of these, and many many others I have seen had one common thread, they all had major reductions in their breast size, global body fat, and felt better about their bodies after losing the weight.

I have even seen patients who had a trivial gland component. After their weight loss, they had no loose skin, no significant gland, and they came back just to show me how good their chest looked - without surgery!  Unfortunately, gland is often a significant component and skin does not always adapt to the body's smaller size.

So weight loss can and does make a significant difference!

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Eric Robertson

• Bronze Member
  • It's time to spread the word about Gynecomastia
I see where you're are coming from. However, I was focusing more on the psychological aspects of the situation.

-Eric

Offline SimoS

• Posting Member
Unfortunately, the term "pseudo-gynecomastia" has come into the medical literature.  However, those who deal with this problem (ie gynecomastia surgeons) know that there is virtually no male breast that is constituted entirely of fat tissue -- there is always some amount of breast tissue present.  The use of the term has lead men to believe that you can "exercise it away because it is only fat."  Nope, sorry, that's wrong.

Dr Jacobs

Nice, but ofcourse u gonna say so when you remove chest fat for living! I've witnessed how a 45% Bf friend with severe chest fat shrunk to 9%bf and got muscular and defined chest! In my opinion you professionals here stating the same to everyone but with other words so to speak: "go to the nearest freaking doctor and let him remove your chest fat" This is nonsense doc ( no offense) Ive seen myself that if u put hard effort and train hard, things can be improved! 99% of people here are out of shape dudes with 45% Bf and think like as if they have gyno when by god they haven't lifted a weight in their lives! Those people are easily manipulated by doctors that there is no other way! Just plain nonsense! All people really do is finding excuses not to workout, and u guys make a living out of that! Go to bodybuilding.com and see the success stories of people who once looked like they had real gynecomastia and glands like u say, but after a year or two of dedication the chest fat was gone for good! In my opinion BF percentage is wnat matters when determining if one has excess chest fat of gyno!

Offline morpheus11

• Silver Member
Listen Simo, you've been harking about your point for days now.  We get it.  Everyone on this site who has gyno is lazy and should work out and all surgeons who perform liposuction and gland removal should redirect their customers to personal trainers and nutritionists. 

The fact of the matter is some of us don't want to look like some tanned up meat head--we just want to look normal. Ya know, have a normal bf percentage and normal BMI...but without having freaking breasts.

But if you insist on proving your point, why don't you come back with some before and after pics of your own--not your legendary friend's pics.

By the way, so not cool to come on this site and attack the very doctors who do this on their own free time. 

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
It has been several years since we had such a strong rant in favor of reducing Gynecomastia with exercise alone. Back then it ultimately turned out that the guy was leading up to a sales pitch for some kind of worthless exercise gizmo.

He and his posts were ultimately deleted. I suspect SimoS is headed in the same direction.
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024