Author Topic: Has this happened to anyone?  (Read 4498 times)

Offline lugg47

• Posting Member
Went for surgery 1 week ago and was going for excision only as my chest was built up to the point where there was virtually no fat, just gland. At my consultation, my PS said that he would make the incision under the areola and perform glandular excision which is exactly what I felt needed to be done and was glad to find a surgeon who was willing to perform the surgery this way. When the time for surgery arrived and my PS came in to mark me he explained that he would be suctioning out the gland and making the incision if he could not remove the gland by suction, instead of the procedure he discussed with me at the consultation. I don't understand why he did this when we never discussed liposuction and even his website reads that he performs the surgery by excision at the areola with no mention of the technique he was about to use. With the IV already in my arm, I guess I put my trust into him, even though the technique he was going to use changed and was not necessarily how I wanted it to be done. I am assuming that he used the PAL technique. In the end, he said that he did not need to make and incision and that suction was enough. At 8 days post-op, I'm starting to think that suction was not enough and not the right way to do this. I went into surgery assuming I was having glandular excision through a periareolar incision. Now, I know that I am only 8 days post-op, but I'm really not thinking this was enough, as many others have said that suction usually doesn't work if gland is the problem. His before and after pictures looked beautiful. Then again, I'm assuming that he did the excision, not the PAL. So, has anyone had such a sudden change of plans regarding surgery or ever heard of a surgeon doing this?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Who is your PS?

Do you have any pics posted?

If you are not happy with the results, you should go back to your PS and ask for a revision at no extra cost to you...

I would be livid!

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

irish lad

man.. he should of went through that with you at consultation..is your chest flat at all?? do you notice t-shirts fitting better? granda is right you have to go back... iv my surgery next friday and im getting excission only through the armpit for gland only

Offline Vonsteelo

• Posting Member
Yeah that sounds a bit uneasy. I would of been curious to why he changed his mind. I just had lipo done 2 days ago and I'm not completely satisfied but then again I could just be swollen. if the results were exactly the same as wearing the compression garment I would be happy, Ive only taken it off once so far and I'm a bit disappointed. For the money i paid, I should be stoked but I guess I need to keep playing this waiting game right?

Offline lugg47

• Posting Member
Right now, I'll keep his name anonymous as I'm really early in my recovery and I don't know his motive yet. Maybe he did it so I wouldn't have the more noticeable scars under the areola. I hate to be quick to bad mouth someone. I kind of feel cheated because he changed his tune right before surgery and I think it would have gone better with the excision only. I was careful to pick a surgeon who is highly regarded with a very respectable reputation in the area. Not some random shmuck. Maybe it will turn out in the end. Hopefully.

To steal a quote from the PAL pioneer, Dr. Frank Lista's website, "You'll be swollen and bruised for awhile--in fact, you may wonder if there's been any improvement at all." I see a lot of people wondering and waiting on here. Hopefully he is right as we all know we must wait for at least 3 months to get any idea of the final results.

Right now, no my chest is not flat. It does look almost the same as before, minus some of the gland. But the change is subtle. The profile looks no different. T-shirts look great with the compression vest. Without it...not much different than before. When I flex my chest I can still see the puffiness under the nipple like before, just not as big. Like Vonsteelo said if the results were like wearing the compression vest I would be happy. Guess we both need to keep waiting...

I could try and post pics, but would need to get my hands on a digital camera.

Thanks for the replies.

Offline Vonsteelo

• Posting Member
Thats about all we can do is wait. keeping a positive mindstate is hard to do when so much is at stake, but when I really think about it any improvement will be beneficial in the end. Im happy I did it, I just want the best results so this is the hard part.

Offline MSJ108

I heard of docs wanting to do lipo first then "once they get in there" decide if incision and removal is needed.

Offline lugg47

• Posting Member
Why do lipo when there is no fat and only gland? Wouldn't excision only seem logical? just curious...

Offline zink

• Bronze Member
hey - I had the same thing!

my surgeon suggested trying to remove the fat and as much of the gland as possible via lipo first, the idea being that if the gland tissue came out with the lipo then it was worth trying because then you wouldn't have so much scarring.

They did the lipo and removed whatever fat there was but the gland pretty much remains.

I'm now going back in about 10 days to have the gland removed by incision around the nipple.

It is frustrating when you know what you want and in hindsight the lipo wasn't very effective but it was probably worth trying because it would have been better if it had worked.

At the end of the day I am a bit annoyed they didn't just do the incision straight away but you have to trust that your surgeon will do the best thing for you and I'm just happy I'm getting it done at all!

Also, it does take a while for internal swelling to go down and your gyno is probably smaller now, even minimal fat makes a difference. Even though my gyno isn't gone I still feel much better with just the fat gone (and I'm a thin guy)

hope this helps mate, just hang in there!

Offline MSJ108

hey - I had the same thing!

my surgeon suggested trying to remove the fat and as much of the gland as possible via lipo first, the idea being that if the gland tissue came out with the lipo then it was worth trying because then you wouldn't have so much scarring.

They did the lipo and removed whatever fat there was but the gland pretty much remains.

I'm now going back in about 10 days to have the gland removed by incision around the nipple.

It is frustrating when you know what you want and in hindsight the lipo wasn't very effective but it was probably worth trying because it would have been better if it had worked.

At the end of the day I am a bit annoyed they didn't just do the incision straight away but you have to trust that your surgeon will do the best thing for you and I'm just happy I'm getting it done at all!

Also, it does take a while for internal swelling to go down and your gyno is probably smaller now, even minimal fat makes a difference. Even though my gyno isn't gone I still feel much better with just the fat gone (and I'm a thin guy)

hope this helps mate, just hang in there!

How much extra to get the incision now??

Offline zink

• Bronze Member
nothing, I'm on NHS

Offline MSJ108

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024