Author Topic: Fat graft for crater deformity  (Read 3072 times)

Offline CIder Mills

• Posting Member
I had a fat graft placed into my "breast" to correct a crater deformity.  It's super hard and that one side looks like a little overinflated.  I hope it shrinks down, and wont be so painfully hard.  I'm still recovering, so maybe things arent that bad.  Fingers crossed

Offline cpa5oh

• Posting Member
This is kind of related to the question I asked in the thread I started: would you be happier with the crater deformity that you had versus what you have right now (assuming it doesn't improve)?

Was your crater deformity noticeable at all in a t-shirt?  

I'm sure your current issue will resolve...I'm just kinda hoping that the surgery is one-and-done and am leaning toward wanting that whole gland removed even at the risk of crater deformity.  

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Give it time to soften up and settle down -- usually a minimum of 3-4 months.  Then re-evaluate.  Don't be impatient.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline CIder Mills

• Posting Member
The crater deformity looked worse than my chest did before my first surgery.  I was embarrased that I didn't have perfect, tight nipples.  I had puffy nipples, and I would rather them stay puffy than have had the crater deformity I had.  It was pretty severe - my nipple had essentially folded in on itself.  If I had to choose between my crater deformity and my current healing fat graft - I would choose the fat graft.  Its healing nicely and softening up little by little.
I hope your surgery is a one and done.  

Offline cpa5oh

• Posting Member
Good that it's looking better as it's healing up.

Almost starting to get the impression that the expectation of "one and done" is probably overly optimistic...

Offline CIder Mills

• Posting Member
Definitely be VERY careful when choosing your surgeon.  If I could go back in time, I would have found a surgeon who has experience with this particular type of surgery on men.  I did ask my original surgeon if he had any experience with geno surgery on males before, and he didn't, but he SEEMED confident enough, and I trusted him and was horrified by the result.  I would have found someone who had experience with the male chest, or I would have simply waited to have the surgery until I found the right person.  Please find someone with experience, that is key and maybe even inform THEM that crater deformities are possible.  Had I done that, maybe my doc would have been conservative when taking out so much gland tissue.  I went back to my surgeon and he acted like the crater in my chest was no big thing (why would he admit to doing a bad job anyway).  He harvested and injected a small amount of fat into my chest which did nothing.  I found a new surgeon who had experience with fat grafting on women, but my choices are limited where I live and I couldn't live with the crater another year so I went for it - as its healing, I'm already happier than I was with a divot in my nipple.  I never expected to feel MORE shame when I started this "journey".  It seemed like a cosmic joke.  I spent my teens and 20s/30s ashamed of my chest, I go get it "fixed" and end up looking worse.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
So sorry to hear about your sad journey.  Hopefully, the fat grafting will be of help.

This only goes to illustrate that gyne surgery can be tricky and you should definitely do your homework, take your time and find an experienced plastic surgeon who can demonstrate sufficient interest and expertise in gyne surgery.  Look for many examples of before and after photos in his office or on his website.  And if there is no one near you who fits the bill, then consider traveling for such expertise.  Save up and get it done right the first time.

Dr Jacobs

Offline ajiet

• Posting Member
Definitely be VERY careful when choosing your 
surgeon.  If I could go back in time, I would have found a surgeon who has experience with this particular type of surgery on men.  I did ask my original surgeon if he had any experience with geno surgery on males before, and he didn't, but he SEEMED confident enough, and I trusted him and was horrified by the result.  I would have found someone who had experience with the male chest, or I would have simply waited to have the surgery until I found the right person.  Please find someone with experience, that is key and maybe even inform THEM that crater deformities are possible.  Had I done that, maybe my doc would have been conservative when taking out so much gland tissue.  I went back to my surgeon and he acted like the crater in my chest was no big thing (why would he admit to doing a bad job anyway).  He harvested and injected a small amount of fat into my chest which did nothing.  I found a new surgeon who had experience with fat grafting on women, but my choices are limited where I live and I couldn't live with the crater another year so I went for it - as its healing, I'm already happier than I was with a divot in my nipple.  I never expected to feel MORE shame when I started this "journey".  It seemed like a cosmic joke.  I spent my teens and 20s/30s ashamed of my chest, I go get it "fixed" and end up looking worse.

Would be very kind of you to update how your fat grafting went. How are the final results? Are you satisfied finally?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024