Author Topic: Critically Thinking  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Formula10

• Posting Member
Hey guys, been looking through the forums for a long time now and finally decided to post. Im 21 and a student in California. After saving up from working part time here and there I am trying to look into the process of surgery and all the necessary things needed.

I know that the surgery cost is based on the individuals condition so I wont ask for a direct amount, but im guessing in the 5k range is reasonable, considering im in southern california.

Althrough I personally do not have 5k saved up, this is where the question comes into play. Is it worth using my student loans to pay for the surgery? Would you guys think financing the surgery is an option for a student since i dont really have any solid income? My loans could potentially pay for the surgery in incriments and I would still be able to survive since i have majority of my expenses paid for by my parents.

Normally I would not throw down that much cash on something, specifically when i dont have the funds for it up front, but this seems to be a different case. The pros of having the surgery would let me enjoy the rest of college more, and the cost would just be tied with my student loans.

So i guess i would just appreciate your opinions on the matter. let me know what you think or if you have any advice or experience with the situation. Is it worth it???

thanks!!!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Dude...

If using your student loan money is the only means of paying for surgery then go for it my man!!!

I lived with G for 31 years. It reared it's ugly head at approx 9 or 10 years of age. Had it removed at 41 and am 46 now. I missed out on many of life's 'simple pleasures' as a result of 'The Curse'...  If I was in your position as you are now at 21 years of age and having access to a loan to pay for surgery that would remove the G... I'd jump at the chance... You can repay the loan, but you CANNOT recover lost time and opportunities...

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Formula10

• Posting Member
Hey GB! thanks for the advice!

I am definitely leaning toward that option, im hoping that by the end of summer, along with the work money i have saved and the student loan I can then start looking around for a surgeon. I figured that since i have just barely enough to do the surgery, i should do it now because at one point or another in my life i will need it, so the earlier the better. But the other part of me is still wondering if putting up the student loan money is a good idea or not. You definitely helped my pro surgery mentality.

35 views and only one reply? I would really appreciate some more opinions because i am still not 100% sure.

thanks!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

35 views and only one reply? I would really appreciate some more opinions because i am still not 100% sure.

Dude...

Chill a tad... You only posted this yesterday... Give it a few days...  ;)

You have to keep in mind that many people are 'lurkers'...

GB...

Offline gynedowner

• Posting Member
You are right to have second thoughts about spending a lot of money on a single surgery. Spending your school money may not be a good idea if it means you won't be able to afford finishing out college. However, it sound like your parents can cover some expenses. If you lived a little beneath your means (cheap apartment, less entertainment, cheap car, etc) you could recover your cost. Holding down a 25hr a week job in college is difficult, but not impossible. Also, many places of employment offer loan repayment programs after you get out of school. The military offers such programs for their health professions personnel, but they might do so for other professions they need. What it all boils down to is...how badly is this affecting your life? If you could have the surgery now knowing you'd have to do something you hate or have a few low income years getting out of college, would you still do it? For many of us here, we'd do almost anything to be free of our gynecomastia. Plus, you're young and the longer you put off getting this corrected the longer you have to live with it. You have to be willing to give something up to get this fixed.

I'm in your situation too. Getting this surgery in 6 days, is going to empty my account/funds for school. But i've been ashamed of this since onset of puberty. I feel its worth it, because I got it bad and it affects many areas of my life. I think its worth it for me. Hope this helps.

Offline Formula10

• Posting Member
Thanks for the reply gynedowner, ya the more i think about it, it really seems worht it. Now its just a question of where to start on the whole process. Good luck on your surgery i am sure its going to go great! Its worth just being able to wear a t shirt without worrying how it looks.

Does anyone know if having the surgery in SoCal is a good option? I have seen the surgery pricing differ based on location. I just dont want to be paying a 1-2k premium just to get it done in a local area.

I am about 99% sure that using up student loans is the best decision because it would be a great investment in myself. There is still that little part of me that doesnt know about taking a risk like that.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I am about 99% sure that using up student loans is the best decision because it would be a great investment in myself. There is still that little part of me that doesnt know about taking a risk like that.

When you are out for a leisurely walk one day wearing a single white t-shirt and all the G related stress/anxieties are gone, ask yourself 'was it worth it...'

GB...

Offline Bobby - LAgyne

• Gold Member
F10,
I would have an open discussion with my parents asking them if they will take care of college expenses if you use the student loan on surgery. If yes, go for the surgery. It will be well worth it. It will be paid back in no time once out of school and have a regular professional job. Treat yourself!

As far as the SoCal doctors, as you can say from my handle, we are in the same boat. My first choice is a Dr. in SF. Like you mentioned, having an office in BH won't do me good.

Keep us updated. Good luck!

Offline Formula10

• Posting Member
Hey everyone,
Didnt want to start a new thread since i feel it could be continued in this. I was just searching around on the site and noticed a very LARGE price difference when it comes to having the surgery, obviously it is based on severity of the condition and location, but the prices seem to be far different when comparing southern California to somewhere in the midwest.

Since I am a student and still want to do this for as little money as possible, would it be better to consider going out of state for the surgery? Living in southern california means that the surgery can be a minimum of around 4k to 9k from what i have read. I am thinking about scheduling a consultation with a surgeon at the end of summer, so those estimates are only from what I have read.

Do any of you have any insight as to how much you were quoted? Or any other pricing info?

I would also like to thank everyone that posted in this thread that helped to convince me about using the student loan money for the surgery. It is truly an investment that I would like to make sooner than later, and all of you helped me to make that choice!!!

DrBermant

Hey everyone,
Didnt want to start a new thread since i feel it could be continued in this. I was just searching around on the site and noticed a very LARGE price difference when it comes to having the surgery, obviously it is based on severity of the condition and location, but the prices seem to be far different when comparing southern California to somewhere in the midwest.

Since I am a student and still want to do this for as little money as possible, would it be better to consider going out of state for the surgery? Living in southern california means that the surgery can be a minimum of around 4k to 9k from what i have read. I am thinking about scheduling a consultation with a surgeon at the end of summer, so those estimates are only from what I have read.

Do any of you have any insight as to how much you were quoted? Or any other pricing info?

I would also like to thank everyone that posted in this thread that helped to convince me about using the student loan money for the surgery. It is truly an investment that I would like to make sooner than later, and all of you helped me to make that choice!!!

Cost for Gynecomastia Surgery varies from doctor to doctor and around the world. Discount prices can turn in much more expensive disasters since revision surgery can cost much more. That is why surgeon selection is such a critical issue. I see many California Gynecomastia Patients who prefer my techniques. To minimize travel, many start out with our Preliminary Remote Discussion to minimize travel.  Jane is my office manager and can help explain the process and typical costs.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.

I have posted a section how to pick a gynecomastia surgeon here:

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=16474.0

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024