Author Topic: My Gynecomastia Story  (Read 14297 times)

Offline jameswr

• Posting Member
Well, I can't believe I've not found this forum before seeing as I've searched the internet a LOT over the last 10 years regarding gynecomastia!

Anyway...

I'm 21 and first realised that my chest wasn't right when I was 11. My initial reaction was to keep covered up. I'd broken my leg over the summer and I thought that it might be because I'd not been very active for 3 months that I'd gained some weight on my chest. I waited for it to disappear but it didn't. I was 13 when I went on a family holiday to Corfu. The temperature was insane, the hottest the Greeks had had in years. I had to spend most of my time in the pool, meaning my top was off. I kept it at the side of the pool so I could cover up as soon as I got out. My Mum noticed and a few weeks later, back at home, she showed me a letter in an agony aunt column in the newspaper. It was from a mum who had discovered her sons chest. "Dear Deidre" told the Mum it was a side-effect of puberty and by the time the boy had gone through it (around 16/17) that the breasts would naturally dissapear.

I carried on the same routines for the next few years, really taking in the advice. I just kept my top on, didn't go swimming, made lots of excuses not to have to do PE and anxiously waited for puberty to end. I got to 16 and I'd piled some weight on and the breasts remained. I got to 17 and they were still there. Bearing in mind this had become taboo in the family. My parents and sisters were all aware of the condition but knew I wouldn't speak about it. I began to lose all the weight I'd gained through healthy eating and by the time I was 18 I was a good weight, but the breasts remained. Since the age of 12 I'd never had a serious girlfriend, had given up swimming and sports and had really not spoken to anyone about the condition. This continued.

I was invited to go to Florida with my best friend and his family when I was 20. Going to the USA had always been a dream of mine and this was an ideal opportunity. I couldn't wait, but my chest worried me. How could I go to Florida without taking my top off? I finally gave in to my embarassment and booked an appointment with my GP. He examined my chest, talked to me about how it had effected me and told me that the NHS were able to fund an operation. I was ecstatic. He weighed me and checked my height, and then worked out my BMI. I was 28 BMI, to be eligble for the operation you had to be below 25. He told me he couldn't refer me and that he could refer me to a dietician to help me lose the weight instead. I went to the dietician, once every four weeks for about 6 months. I followed the advice but didn't seem to lose much weight. I lost a bit, but not enough to be below 25 BMI. Understand me when I say if you look at me I don't look overweight, I'm well proportioned (apart from my breasts). I'm of an average build and I'm happy with my size. Following the dietician I started trying to go to the gym, but it was so difficult, not the workouts, just being there. I felt like I was being stared at and found myself holding my tshirt out. I never shifted the weight. I did go to Florida and loved it, however I only went in the pool when just me and my friend were around (I'd told him about the condition and he was very supportive) and when we went to the waterparks I had a day on the deckchair. I used to love swimming when I was younger so I felt I missed a great time at the waterparks.

I'm now 21 and am still suffering with gynecomastia. I'm the exact same weight as when I went to see my GP a year and a half ago. About a month ago I started looking up on Private Cosmetic Surgery. I came across Harley Medical and built up the courage to book an appointment. I saw a Nurse who did an examination and told me I was looking between £3500 - £4500 depending on what the surgeon diagnosed me with. She couldn't tell if it was gynecomastia or just excess fat. I wanted to have the surgery and decided it was time that I finally sat down and had a conversation with my parents. I told them where I'd been and what was said and my Mum was very supportive. My Dad, not so much. He told me that if I didn't seclude myself and exercise then I wouldn't be in this situation. By seclusion he means that I don't go out around town or to the gym and I don't see my friends much, but I like to keep myself private, it's easier to avoid being looked at. Anyway after the earbashing I broke down into tears in front of my parents, I think this is when they both realised just how much this had effected me over the last 10 years. My dad became a bit more supportive, but was unwilling to help me until I went to my GP again. He thinks that the GP will do something due to how upset it makes me. I know exactly what the GP will say, but my dad won't accept that. However, I booked an appointment and am due to see my GP next week. Today I had another consultation with a different cosmetic sugery group, this time Transform. My sister had had a surgery with them a few years ago. I saw a surgeon this time and he finally confirmed that I had gynecomastia and that it wasn't excess fat. It felt like a huge weight had been lifted when he told me, I'd often thought that maybe it was because I was inactive when I broke my leg that it started and it was just a build up of excess fat. Anyway the surgeon told me all about the procedure and then I was given a price, £4400. With help from my parents this is affordable to me, however my dad still wants me to see my GP before I begin the process privately.

It feels really good to write my entire story. There are probably bits and bobs that I've missed out and my sentences might not make sense in places but I'd love some feedback from the users of the forum. I think it's great that there's a place where sufferers can talk and share experiences.

James

Offline wolfman

• keep fighting my friends
hi and welcome to the site

this site is a god send to the guys with gyno. i had it for 18 years before i hade the surgery and its the best thing a made in my life, if u have any cuestions just send a mail or write here on the site

Good Luck Wolfman
i finally feel like im a man

Offline carguy

• Gold Member
  • boobfree 2003!!
good story. I had the same problem with my GP(s). They said it was just fat and I should just work out.
One said she saw nothing wrong with it :-\
After suffering every day for over 10 years, I wasn't going to take that, so I went to a plastic surgeon and he diagnosed me
properly. I had surgery, and even though the past is painful to think about, I just focus on now and the future.
Two things I can change.
I try to be optimistic but I just can't help thinking "what if" or " where would i be if".
Anyway thanks for sharing.

Offline Ben2cat

• Posting Member
Welcome!! You are brave... You have many years ahead of you and the understnding of thie will give you relief.

Offline jameswr

• Posting Member
Hey guys, thanks for your replies! I haven't really been on in a while but a LOT has happened since!

I'm now 3 days post op! I went to the Transform company (as I said in my original post) and a week or two after the initial consultation my dad agreed to let me have the surgery done and even gave me some of his savings. We took out a loan for the rest and the surgery was scheduled for April 13th.

It wasn't a very long wait at all, it flew by. We drove down on Monday and I was 30 minutes early (had to be in at 12pm). Because we were early we were sent straight to my room and a nurse came in and told me that I'd be going down within the hour! I got changed, met the anaethesist and he told me I'd be having a general anaesthetic. Then my surgeon came in, took a few pictures (I was only wearing these paper underpants - most embarassing moment of my life haha!) and then he drew on me. 20 minutes later I was taken to the operating theatre! I was chatting with the guys in the room and all of a sudden I was asleep!

I woke up a couple of hours later in recovery. It took me a while to fully come around but when I had I was taken to my room. On the way I saw the anaethesist and he told me that he thought I'd be really pleased with the result. I waited in my room for a while, still drifting in and out of sleep. A couple of hours later a nurse came with some biscuits and pain killers. She showed me the result and it looked unreal. I couldn't believe it was my chest. The morning after my sugeon came to see me and told me that I'd be pleased with his work, but it would be a few weeks before I could see a good result. He said as long as my nipples don't invert it will be great.

So now I'm currently going through the post op stuff. I feel like someone is stood on my chest, it itches like crazy, I have to sleep on my back (I always sleep on my chest!). But it's all worth it, because I know that in a few weeks time I'm gonna be able to start living my life. I've definitely got some years to catch up on.

I'll post my pics when I've been able to take some post ops!

James

Offline nick24

• Bronze Member
Good for you man. Im 3 weeks post op, feeling great, the results look great and everything. Just got back to playing tennis again this morning, I suck now but I was comfortable to take my shirt off and play which was great with all the wind I could feel over my body. Life is good.

Offline Dave_8

• Gold Member
Congrats on the surgery guys!
If you have gyne, dont expect not be laughed at.

Just like if you walk into a locker room, you're gonna see some hairy asses and dicks.

Unfortunately for me, both have occured in my life way too many times.

Offline anildawg361

Hey guys i feel better now because i am in a environment with people with the same problem who can help. Well my problem started in 6th grade when one day i saw this lumpy puffy nipples sticking out.  First i thought it was just a weight issue but now i am so skinny and i have abs and muscles. So i went to the doctor and asked and they said i have G. So wen i went to search it online i flipped out. The doc said it will go away but i know he was just trying to get rid of me. every time i go to a pool party. ya people see my ripped body but they see my nipples too and they make fun of me and give me titty scoops. i always have to wear a white tee wen i go some where and i always wear extra clothes. Luckily few of my friends only know but i feel like having surgery so i look completely great but i am so confused and plus i am only 13 now.

Offline Dave_8

• Gold Member
Well anilgawg, we all know what youve been through. Welcome to the boards.

Offline channell2011

I'm a 17 year old male. I'm a swimmer with gynecomastia. I wear a tight spandex shirt so that my breast are flat and I look like i have muscles. I wear a spandex shirt all the time. My arm pits are raw from it cutting them. I look very fit now. I've had gynecomastia since i was around 12, and I went to my plastic surgeon the other day and found out I probably can not get the surgery because I have medical card that pays for my medical things cause I'm from a very very poor family, plus Obama's health plan. I just told my mom about the other day. I felt very embarrassed. Gynecomastia has made my life suck. I really want the surgery so I can have fun and take my shirt off this summer at the beach with my Upward Bound program. There are over 100 kids going. I'm not going to have fun. I really really hope the insurance feels my pain and lets me get the surgery. I want a normal life.

Offline xoxoxoxo

• Gold Member
I'm a 17 year old male. I'm a swimmer with gynecomastia. I wear a tight spandex shirt so that my breast are flat and I look like i have muscles. I wear a spandex shirt all the time. My arm pits are raw from it cutting them. I look very fit now. I've had gynecomastia since i was around 12, and I went to my plastic surgeon the other day and found out I probably can not get the surgery because I have medical card that pays for my medical things cause I'm from a very very poor family, plus Obama's health plan. I just told my mom about the other day. I felt very embarrassed. Gynecomastia has made my life suck. I really want the surgery so I can have fun and take my shirt off this summer at the beach with my Upward Bound program. There are over 100 kids going. I'm not going to have fun. I really really hope the insurance feels my pain and lets me get the surgery. I want a normal life.

can you show us your chest dude?

Offline Eric Robertson

• Bronze Member
  • It's time to spread the word about Gynecomastia
I love success stories.

Makes my day that much better. :)

-Eric
Surgery Date: 6/06/06
Surgeon: Dr. Elliot Jacobs M.D., F.A.C.S., F.I.C.S., P.C.
Procedure: Liposuction and incision under the nipple.
Cost: $6,500
Discovery Health: Plastic Surgery Before and After I was featured in: http://www.gynecomastianewyork.com/teen_dhc_video1.html

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024