Author Topic: Prolactin and Gynecomastia  (Read 7980 times)

Offline blackcountryboob

• Posting Member
I was just wondering how mNy of the Physicians on here come across patients with increased Prolactin levels as a reason for their Gynecomastia.

DrBermant

• I was just wondering how mNy of the Physicians on here come across patients with increased Prolactin levels as a reason for their Gynecomastia.

I have seen quite a few patients with increased Prolactin as the cause of their gynecomastia.  Some come already with the diagnosis already stabilized. Others had no idea why their breasts were growing.  They were Reg Flagged by my evaluation, had an endocrinology evaluation, then were stabilized. Most were from prolactinomas (tumors of the pituitary gland). A Prolactinoma tumor makes too much Prolactin a hormone that causes breast growth to make milk for pregnancy.  Prolactinoma in men can be large enough to press on the optic nerves restricting vision.  It is one cause of gynecomastia. Dostinex (Cabergoline) is a medication that can be used to treat prolactinomas.  When effective, glandular growth is sometimes stabilized, and sometimes regresses. 

Others had prolactin elevated as a component of other endocrine issues.

Gynecomastia surgery is better deferred until such problems are stabilized.

My patients awaiting stabilization for such issues as an endocrinology problem as a prolactinoma have expressed how helpful No Surgery Body Shaping Garments have been to temporize a natural chest contour.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
    Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024