Author Topic: My story of Gynecomastia  (Read 9356 times)

DrBermant

Just an update:

Continuing to take the Bromocriptine. I received a call from the endo and she said all my levels looked good and that I was to remain on the prescribed medication at the same dose. I was talking to my dad about how I have to wait to get surgery and he offered to basically float me the cash to get the surgery when I get back from Washington. I'm doing an internship in DC for a couple months where I plan to continue working out and taking my medication. If it's been stable and I'm treating my prolactin levels (which by the way, the endo still said were in the normal range), could roughly 3 months of Bromocriptine be enough to where I could proceed with surgery and continue treatment? I'm just getting really ready for these ole boobs to come off. Like very desperate.

For my other patients who started treatment for their prolactinomas, time for breast stabilization varied. My guess is that it depends on the particular dynamics of medication interaction with the tumor and then the body's response to the change in hormone status. Like with all glandular stimulating hormone problems, waiting for the swelling to stop changing is the first step. Giving a precise time scale is not realistic. It can take a few months or perhaps longer. Jumping into surgery before swelling has stabilized, in my opinion is just wrong. This is especially true if the deformity is small and the changes that can be gained by waiting could result in no longer needing the surgery.

I just saw another teenage adolescent who came to me after having surgery offered elsewhere. His breasts had enlarged with puberty and over the past few months have been resolving. Like others before him, I suggested not jumping in for the surgery. It can be frustrating being patient and waiting to see just what will happen. No surgeon's skills match a natural contour with no scars that natural resolution can give. I have seen many patients over the years who followed my advice and then came back showing off their chest proudly on how much they improved or completely resolved without the knife. This patient tried on one of our body shaping garments, his face lit up, and he refused to take the shirt off, buying it and leaving the office with a temporizing solution so he could deal with the emotional component while his body stabilized.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024