Author Topic: My experience so far with Dr. Lista (updated with pics)  (Read 11527 times)

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
Hi everyone.  I had my initial consultation with Dr. Lista last Friday, and thought I would keep a running log on how my experience has been with him right from the start.  If anyone here is thinking of contacting him for surgery, you may find this useful in making your decision.

I live about 3 hrs away, and my appointment was set for 12:00 noon.  So I left home at about 8:30am figuring I would have plenty of time to get there.  The Plastic Surgery Clinic is right in downtown Toronto on Scollard St. and it's a little tough to find if you aren't from the area.  I would suggest making sure you have lots of time to find the place.  I had to park out on the road and go inside a building to ask if I had the right place!  It is a grey building right on the corner, and looks like a cosmetic make up store. But just inside and to the right, is a door leading to the surgery clinic.  Anyhow, parking is a whole other thing too (and one way streets...ughh!), but it IS downtown Toronto, so you can expect all that.

So I go to the front desk, and I'm greeted by a very nice receptionist (who was speaking with Dr. Lista as I came in).  She mentioned that he was a tad bit behind, which worked out great for me, because I was a tad bit late!  ::)  I sat in the waiting area for about 1/2 hour or so, and I was called in.  I thought for sure I would be waiting there till after lunch, so I was pleasantly surprised to be called in so quickly.

I was accompanied by my wife and daughter to the appointment, so the three of us went into the small office to wait Dr. Lista's arrival.  Within minutes, he was there and greeted all of us pleasantly.  He sat down, and asked what I was looking for.  I mentioned I was there for a gynecomastia consult.  He explained in detail how the procedure was carried out, and went on to ask other normal questions regarding my health such as heart issues, medications I may be on etc.  After that, he asked me to take off my shirt so he could examine my chest.  I was told I had a typical case, and the only additional thing I needed would be to lipo out the sides of my chest toward the under arm to make the final contouring look more natural.  I was going to ask him about that if he didn't mention it first, so I was glad to see that I didn't even have to.  

After I put my shirt back on, he asked if my wife or I had any questions at all about the procedure.  Nice!  I was worried that he would be rushed for lunch, but he actually didn't seem to care about taking all the time we needed to ask questions.  We had a few, but for the most part, I (like everyone here) have researched, read and watched all available information regarding this condition, and its surgery, so I had a pretty good grasp on everything.

I was told that the surgery would last about an hour, and after that, I would be in recovery for perhaps a couple of hours while the general anesthesia wore off.  I would wake up wearing the compression vest already.  He would give me a prescription for pain meds, and send me on my way.  He told my wife that she would need to stay with me for 24 hrs following the surgery to make sure I had no issues.  But if we needed them for any reason at all, they are on call 24 hrs a day, SO DON'T BE AFRAID TO CALL IF WE ARE WORRIED ABOUT ANYTHING.  That was re assuring.  He would need to see me one week after surgery, then again 3 weeks later.  If all goes well after that, I'm all set.  

I was REALLY pleased to hear him say that I could shower anytime I wanted.  I did not have to wait a full week (with compression vest on) before showering.  I can take the vest off, wash it while I'm in the shower, and put it back on then it's done drying.  SWEET!  I'll probably try to keep the vest on as long as I can between showers anyways just to be safe.  I can sponge bath in between, and we have a walk in shower so my wife can wash my hair for me easily without having to take off the vest.

Any revisions required that can be surgically corrected, will be done at no charge.  He did mention however, that he had a recent patient who had some lumps or something under the arm that were only noticeable when he raised his arms above his head.  For some reason, he could not correct this, but he said the patient was still very pleased overall, and was not worried about it.  He went on to explain that gynecomastia surgery is not perfect, and we should never expect perfect results.  He figures that there is about an 80% improvement compared to what's there now.  80% is pretty good in my opinion.  I told him I don't want a perfectly flat chest.  That would look silly on me.  I want a normal looking chest, which will have a natural contour to it.  It will be nice to finally see if I have any pecs under these things!  LOL.

One thing we did not speak about interestingly enough, was cost.  Not that it wouldn't have eventually come up, but I approached the subject first.  When I initially contacted his office for a consultation, I asked at that point what the cost for gynecomastia surgery is.  I was told $4900 (plus HST).  When I asked him about cost, he said the same, but it would be $1000 more for the additional lipo that had to be done on the sides of the chest.  So anyone who is going for a consultation with Dr. Lista (or any other surgeon for that matter), keep this in mind when you are comparing your surgery quote to anyone else's.  It all depends on what he has to do to make your case look proper.  I have read in other posts that people paid less, but I know now it is because they did not have to get anything else done...just straight up gyne surgery.  Anything more WILL BE EXTRA.  The total cost for my surgery including tax is going to be $6667.00.  Not cheap, but worth every penny to feel normal again.

He said that one of the ladies in the office would be in to give me an information package, with a written quote outlining the cost etc.  She came in a couple of minutes later, and went over all of the details with us.  We never discussed financing, or other payment options.  In our case, none of this was necessary anyways, but I would assume she would have been the one to go over all of these options.  I had pretty much made up my mind already, so needless to say, I put a $1000 deposit down, and have booked my surgery for mid January.  He usually can get people in for surgery in about a 4 week period, but I didn't want to be laid up during the Christmas and New Year's hustle bustle.  They are very accommodating there to book around your schedule I found (within reason of course).  If I recall correctly, they do surgeries on Monday's and Thursday's.  Upon booking the surgery, she went behind the front counter and gave me a small bottle of special soap.  I was told to use this soap the night before surgery (wash entire body, including hair), and again the morning of surgery.  Do not put on any deodorant, or hair product at all (if you use any).

Overall, I'd have to say my experience so far with Dr. Lista and his staff have been A 1.  They were all super to deal with, very polite and accomodating.  The front desk receptionist even printed out a Google Maps page for us to get better directions home from there.  (Note:  there ARE no better directions home from there!!  :'( )  But her help was certainly appreciated.

So, that's it for now.  I stand here waiting for my time to be on the other side, and will share my experience with you all the way.  I have never been part of a forum before, and have no idea on how to post pictures.  I'll work on that though so I can provide some before and after pictures for everyone.  

I'm on my way, wish me luck!

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 03:06:18 PM by shaknbake »
Shakenbake baby, SHAKE N BAKE!!  Ya, that just happened.

Offline thisischris

• Posting Member

Offline shaker

• Silver Member
Gluck dude .. 80% improvement is for sure. Will be posting my 11 months post op pics today.. lista was my surgeon.

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
Cool, thanks Shaker!  I look forward to seeing them.  I'm pretty excited to get this all done so I can see the results.  It's such a weird feeling right now, excited and nervous at the same time....Oh well, I know it will all be worth it in the end. I'll keep an eye out for those pics though.

Offline mark22

Good luck!  We wish you and your family the best as you continue on your journey.

hammer

Good luck my friend! You know what you have to do after surgery!

God Bless and once again, good luck!

Bob aka Hammer

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
Thanks Hammer!  It's getting close to the big day....gotta admit.  Getting a little nervous!  I've never had surgery before, so it's a little scary LOL.  But it sure is nice to have the support.  I'll keep everyone up to date as things happen.  I am going to try to upload some before pics within the next couple of days.  Keep an eye out  ;D

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
Ok, so I said earlier that I was going to post some before pics.  I've never done this before, so hopefully it works!  I shrank the file size down, but hopefully not too much  :D  If I did, I'll give er' another try.  I've got 2 more pictures, but it only allowed me to attach 4, so here goes!

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
That seemed to work out o.k.  I noticed that you can't make the pictures bigger though....hmmm.....Anyhow, I shrunk them down to 10% of their original size, perhaps that is why?  Anyone that can give me some advice on that would be appreciated.  In the meantime, here are the other 2 pics.
To give some perspective on the pictures, here are a couple of stats about me.  Just turned 38, and I'm 6'5" tall, at about 257lbs.  Approximately 50" chest with a 40" waist (38 in jeans! LOL!!  ;D)  And yes, as you can probably tell, Men's Fitness Magazine had been constantly calling me for the past couple of years to do a full feature article on how I am able to remain is such amazing physical condition.  While I appreciate the gesture, it just seems at this point that I would be showing off.......(In case you couldn't tell, that was LOADED with sarcasm!) 
On a more serious note however, I have been in contact with Dr. Lista's office several times over the past 7 weeks since my consultation to ask questions here and there, as well as pass on any pre operative information they required.  My patient co-ordinator Leslie has been wonderful to deal with.  She always is polite and pleasant, and willing to answer all my questions no matter how silly they may have been.  Many thanks as well to Sherrie who looked after my questions while Leslie was away on holidays.  Both of these ladies are amazing, and have been more than helpful.  If things keep going this well, I'm sure I can rest easy knowing I will be well taken care of.  Thursday at 2pm is the op time, and I'm getting the typical pre surgery anxiousness.  But I know everything is going to be just fine.  I'm bringing my wife and daughter with me, so I'll have lots of support.  Thanks everyone, I'll keep you posted as things progress!

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
Well, tomorrow is the big day.  I have prepared everything I need, and I'm ready to go.  I received a call from Leslie yesterday explaining what I need to bring, and the things I need to do the morning of to prepare.  Time to break out that special soap they gave me when I booked the surgery!  I also booked the hotel last night.  As I mentioned earlier, they don't want my in a car for such a long trip home right after surgery.  So, Dr. Lista has insisted on seeing me the following day to make sure everything is alright before I head on the long trip home.  I think that's pretty awesome.  Not sure if I will still have to come back to see him a week later or not, but I will if he needs me to.  I'll update the thread from my phone tomorrow after I get settled back into the hotel after surgery.

hammer

Good luck, and remember that post-op instructions are very important! I did follow mine to the letter after all mine. both of my knee replacements I did my own in home PT and was able to darn near kick my own butt at my one month check up. My doc said he had never seen someone have as much motion within a month as I had.

My back surgery in 09 took 9 hours on a Friday and I was sent home on Monday! The doc that sign the discharge papers said he had never seen a recovery like that before!

My point is, be positive, do want you need to do, follow instructions and most of all be a good patient for your care givers.

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
Absolutely Hammer.  I've got a great wife and daughter at home that are wonderful when it comes to helping me out.  And I've got a business to run, so I can't afford to screw up the healing process by not following the instructions.  I'll be back at it in no time at all I'm sure.  As soon as I am able to, I'll post how things are going.  Thanks again!

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
Well, I'm on the other side now!  Just got back to the hotel room after surgery, and I'm relaxing in bed as we speak.  I was a little more sore than expected afer surgery, not severe mind you, but more than expected.  Now that it has been acouple of hours, its much better now.  No nausea or anything.  I was super uncomfortable in the recovery room though, just couldn't seems to get situated right.  It was really bothering my back more than anything.  I'm writing this on my phone, so its too tedious to get into full details yet.  I'll wait till I get home to do a full write up from the computer.  Anyhow, just wanted to give a quick update.  Talk to ya'll tomorrow!

hammer

Congrat's Shaknbake! Use the meds if you got them, and time does heal all wounds! Take it easy and be kind to the ones taking care of you!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 05:01:23 PM by hammer »

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
Ok guys, sorry for the delay, I've only just now had some time alone to be able to write this. 

Surgery Day!

I arrived at the Plastic Surgery Clinic in Mississauga at 10am as requested.  I thought that was a bit early since my surgery was scheduled for 2pm, but didn't think much more of it.  Turns out, they had a cancellation, and my surgery had been moved up.  I had no idea until I actually got there!  That was cool though, since I only ended up waiting in the seating area for about a half hour before being taken upstairs to prep for surgery.  I was taken to a small room where I was told to change out of my street clothes, and into the clean pyjama pants, socks and slippers I was told to bring.  Shortly after that, I was visited by a nurse who asked me the typical pre op questions such as time of my last meal and drink, allergies etc.  She took a chest measurement, then asked an odd question.  "Tell me in your own words what surgery we are performing on you today".  Odd, but I answered anyways "time to get rid of the man boobs!"  After that, the anesthetist came in to see me and ask a few more quick questions.  She took my weight etc. so she could properly administer the correct amount of anesthesia.  She also mentioned that since I was a big guy, they would be putting a tube down my throat to help me breathe!  I wasn't expecting that!  I am a big guy, but I didn't think I was that big!  Just after she left the room, Dr. Lista came in dressed fully in his surgical scrubs.  I took off the hospital gown, and he very quickly drew marker all over the sections where he would liposuction and remove gland.  He must have been busy, or stressed that morning.  He was all business (maybe he was in the "zone").  Anyhow, the only real conversation we had was him being fairly firm that I could expect an 80% improvement, he does his best to make things even, but I can expect some assymetry, and possibly some lumpiness underneath as I heal which may or may not be visible through the skin.  Already knowing about kenalog shots for problematic scar tissue, I asked about the lumpiness and if there was anything that could be done if that happens.  He very quickly said NO.  You'll have to live with it.  So as far as I can tell at this point I got the impression that if I have any problems or concerns about the surgery, he doesn't want to hear it because there is nothing he can do to help.  I could be wrong?  I hope so...but that was a far cry from the experience I had with him during the initial consultation when he was very polite and pleasant.  I TOTALLY understand that no surgeon no matter how good they are can guarantee perfect results (I don't expect perfect results).  Everyone heals differently, and there is no way to know what someones body will do during that process.  Again, it was surgery day, and there were about 3 rooms going simultaneously, so I'm sure he was a little stressed perhaps.  To be honest, I really don't care about his personality, it's the surgery results I'm after. 
So after he leaves, the anesthetist comes back in to take me to the surgical room.  I lay down on the bed as her and one or two other nurses prepare for the surgery.  As she threads the IV into my hand, the other nurse is strapping down my legs and arms so I don't move during the procedure.  As I lay there staring at the ceiling, I broke the "all business" aire in the room by saying I felt like I was in some Texas execution chamber waiting for my lethal injection!  Everyone laughed which broke the tensity in the room for me.  I made light of it by ending with "Please don't kill me!"   :D  From there, she said o.k, it's time for some medicine.  I took a deep breath, stared at the ceiling and started to count to 10 in my head.  I think I got up to about 3 or 4.  Next thing I remember, I was waking up in the recovery room.  My back was killing me, I just couldn't get comfortable in those gurneys they use.  I'm a pretty big guy though, so it's not like they had any other options for me.  I toughed it out though  ;D  I was super thirsty and hungry.  I was given some water and arrowroot cookies to eat while I waited for the anesthesia to wear off.  The vest isn't too bad, although it was on me crooked!  I can only imagine how much effort it must have taken for them to get that thing on me while I was out.  The ladies assisting Dr. Lista are all quite petite, but they must be tough as nails!  After about an hour of the recovery room, I was taken downstairs to another room where my wife and daughter came in to see me.  We were given some medications and post op instructions for the first 24hrs.  The pain at this point was more than I was expecting, but not over the top.  I think what I really needed at that time was a comfortable place to lay down and rest.  As soon as we got back to the hotel room, I laid down with a couple pillows propped up behind me, and under my arms, and I felt 100% better.  I took one of the pain pills just in case, and had a little nap.  From there on, I felt pretty good!  I was eager to see the results, as most of us are after surgery.  But I had to wait until the next day to see anything.  So, after having a bite to eat, I watched TV for a couple hours, and took 1 more pain pill just before bed time to try to get a good night sleep (which worked until about 5am, then I was wide awake).

The day after..

1st day post op went pretty good.  I had to go back to the clinic for 11am to see a nurse and get the o.k before they let me drive all the way back home again (be driven that is).  This was the first time I got to see the results.  Wow, gotta say, it is very surreal.  It really was like looking down at someone else's chest rather than my own.  I only got a top down view, so nothing too visual at that time unfortunately.  I asked the nurse how much they removed from each side.  She checked on the computer, and said 900cc.  That seems really high to me.....I know my boobs were fairly big, but 900cc per side?  Maybe that was in total?  Oh well, doesn't really matter.  At that point, I could tell that swelling had begun to set in on my left side.  Mostly under my armpit at the side of my chest.  At least I'm hoping it is swelling!  It's pretty sore right now, so I would assume it is.  The left side was larger (and a bit saggier) than the right, so I was hoping he would be able to work well with that to try to even out the difference.  It's going to be 6 to 8 months before I know for sure.  The nurse gave us the o.k to head home, so with my next follow up appointment in hand, we were off!

Day 2

So today being day 2, I had my first shower since the operation.  Boy did that feel nice!!  I got to have a really good look at the results now.  My wife took some pics for me which are attached here.  You can see on the front pic, that the left side is pretty swollen already on the side of the chest at the underarm.  I washed the compression vest, and enjoyed the 1/2 hour vest free that it took to do so!  I'm pretty well completely pain free right now.  No meds needed at all for pain.  It feels like a typical bruise.  Tender when touched or pressed.  So don't touch or press it right?!  I have to go back to see another nurse on Tuesday for a 2nd follow up.  I'm sure I will be rainbow coloured with bruising by then.  It's already starting to come on strong now!  I didn't scrub too hard during my shower, so in the pics you can still see some of the marker that was used to prep for surgery.  My after pics aren't super fantastic or anything, but I wasn't super fantastic before either.  I'm going to try really hard to be realistic on what I can expect with this.  Let's be honest, there's only so much a surgeon can do with what he had to work with!  I'm sure by June or so, everything will even out just fine!

Overall, the experience with Dr. Lista's office had been pretty good.  I've only seen Dr. Lista twice, but the ladies he has working in the office, and in the surgery rooms are all top notch.  They couldn't be more polite, and helpful.  I'll keep updating this with more pics as the healing progresses.  Thanks for the support guys, I really appreciate it!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024