Author Topic: Difference between Puffy Nipple/Full Gyn surgery  (Read 4589 times)

Offline helpmecanada

Hey guys,

First-time poster, long-time sufferer. Surgery had been on my mind for at least 7 years, but I just couldn't wrap my head around it for a variety of reasons(financially, emotionally, you name it).

This is a quick re-cap of my situation;I'm sure many are familiar with a story similar to this...I've read through many stories here that are shockingly close to my own experiences. I was a chubby, slightly overweight youth. I developed gyn/manboobs by the sixth grade, and my peers were merciless, are children are wont to do. By the time I hit college I filled out, grew, and got in shape. I'm 5'10, 150lbs, and am athletic and physically fit and healthy. I still have unwanted protrusions on my chest, I am now 28.

From everything I've gathered, I do not in fact have full-blown gynocomastia, but rather the condition commonly referred to as "puffy nipples". I've been careful to shield this condition from everyone I know, and have generally done a good job of it, but I really long for the ability to just feel "loose", and "free" with my body. The puffy nipples have definitely done a number on my confidence, and posture.

Now, here's my question. I thought that the surgery would be prohibitively expensive for something of this nature(at worst, too indulgent). I'm in Toronto, and am interested in Dr. Fielding. I've noted that surgery is typically in the $4000 range.

I've only recently come across some posts here that have noted that surgery to remove the abscesses causing puffy nipples is actually around the $800-$900 range, and is eligible for partial coverage due to the fact that it's not considered plastic surgery.

Any information and clarification would be greatly appreciated. It's just so much work to gather up the courage to make the phone call/appointment, and I'd really love to have as much information at my disposal as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Zenxer

• Bronze Member
  • Mm.. Donuts
Hey! I've researched into gynecomastia A LOT online and am going to give you some info.

I myself am a long-term sufferer and have only recently took serious steps to get the surgery done. I'm a pretty lean guy, low bodyfat and I have puffy nipples and a very slight asymmetry. I've always hated it, and even when I was in my best shape my chest always looked bad. No matter how much I worked out, how much muscle I gained, my chest never looked normal.

I had my appointment with Dr Fielding in Toronto July 28th and my surgery is to be done October 20th. I'm really excited. I'm from London, Ontario so I have to take the greyhound bus to Toronto, it's worth it though, Dr Fielding is one of the most renown gynecomastia surgeons in Canada.

For my surgery, it is going to cost me a total of $1805(with tax). $1695 that has to be paid 21 days before surgery to Dr Fielding and $110 that has to be paid to the hospital on the day of the surgery.

Keep in mind I told Dr. Fielding during the consultation that I wanted to do the surgery with local anesthesia, not general.

If I chose to do General Anesthesia, it would have cost me a total of $2836. So about a thousand dollars more to be put asleep. Local anesthesia, as I am doing, I won't be asleep, so I'll be talking to the doctor/nurse while they are performing the surgery. I'm totally fine with that, but some people aren't. Personally I'd rather save the $1000.

The surgery consists of two different parts:
- The excision of the glandular breast tissue &
- liposuction to remove some fat, flatten the chest out, and to shape the chest
The excision of the breast tissue is covered by OHIP in Ontario, so thankfully that part we don't have to worry about paying for. The problem though is that we still have to pay for the liposuction part. That's where the cost is at. The liposuction.

Depending on how bad your gynecomastia is, the price could range anywhere from(and this is from reading tons of Dr Fieldings patients quotes online) $0 to $5000. You said you have puffy nipples, so it most likely will be around the price I got quoted. Expect around $1800 total for local anesthesia gyne surgery and $2836 for general anesthesia gyne surgery.

By the way, call Dr Fielding and get an appointment made asap. I had to wait like a month and a half to have the consultation.

Any questions just reply :) I'll reply as soon as I can.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 07:01:29 PM by Zenxer »
My surgery was done on Oct 20th, 2014 by Dr. J. Craig Fielding in Toronto, Ontario.

Offline helpmecanada

Hey! I've researched into gynecomastia A LOT online and am going to give you some info.

I myself am a long-term sufferer and have only recently took serious steps to get the surgery done. I'm a pretty lean guy, low bodyfat and I have puffy nipples and a very slight asymmetry. I've always hated it, and even when I was in my best shape my chest always looked bad. No matter how much I worked out, how much muscle I gained, my chest never looked normal.

I had my appointment with Dr Fielding in Toronto July 28th and my surgery is to be done October 20th. I'm really excited. I'm from London, Ontario so I have to take the greyhound bus to Toronto, it's worth it though, Dr Fielding is one of the most renown gynecomastia surgeons in Canada.

For my surgery, it is going to cost me a total of $1805(with tax). $1695 that has to be paid 21 days before surgery to Dr Fielding and $110 that has to be paid to the hospital on the day of the surgery.

Keep in mind I told Dr. Fielding during the consultation that I wanted to do the surgery with local anesthesia, not general.

If I chose to do General Anesthesia, it would have cost me a total of $2836. So about a thousand dollars more to be put asleep. Local anesthesia, as I am doing, I won't be asleep, so I'll be talking to the doctor/nurse while they are performing the surgery. I'm totally fine with that, but some people aren't. Personally I'd rather save the $1000.

The surgery consists of two different parts:
- The excision of the glandular breast tissue &
- liposuction to remove some fat, flatten the chest out, and to shape the chest
The excision of the breast tissue is covered by OHIP in Ontario, so thankfully that part we don't have to worry about paying for. The problem though is that we still have to pay for the liposuction part. That's where the cost is at. The liposuction.

Depending on how bad your gynecomastia is, the price could range anywhere from(and this is from reading tons of Dr Fieldings patients quotes online) $0 to $5000. You said you have puffy nipples, so it most likely will be around the price I got quoted. Expect around $1800 total for local anesthesia gyne surgery and $2836 for general anesthesia gyne surgery.

By the way, call Dr Fielding and get an appointment made asap. I had to wait like a month and a half to have the consultation.

Any questions just reply :) I'll reply as soon as I can.

Wow, thank you for the response, that truly is an enormous help, and I think it may be the push I need to get this monkey off my back. $1800 is definitely do-able, and I'm with you on the Local-option, I've faced that decision when getting my wisdom teeth removed, and there's just too many red flags associated with General for me to do it, so saving $1000 is a huge bonus. Really, thank you again, that's incredible. It's been so awful dealing with puffy nipples, and working out only makes them stick out more...I just need them out of my life.

One last question, did Fielding tell you what the expected downtime is? I imagine if it's Local you'll be able to leave the hospital same-day, and just experience about a month of soreness(or less) as with typical gyn removal.

Best of luck on the operation, and congratulations!

Offline Zenxer

• Bronze Member
  • Mm.. Donuts
No problem :)

For me, having a physical job, he told me to take two weeks off work. If you have a desk job, i'm sure you could go back to it within 3-4 days. Yes local you can leave the hospital the same day, and the soreness is the worst the first few days, after a week it gets a lot better.

Any other questions just ask me, I'll be checking back on this thread as often as I can. :)

Offline VitoEr

• Posting Member
Hi everyone.  Just wondering if anyone has compared prices of the Yaris in Canada and the US.  Seems to big a difference in price on some models, but Im wondering if Im missing something.  Thinking about buying one in the spring.  Thanks.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024