Author Topic: Surgery questions from Noob  (Read 3103 times)

Offline titsrntcool

• Posting Member
I want to know if anyone has had a consult or surgery with a Dr.Fielding but does not live in TO.  Can you do a phone consult with him if you live elsewhere?  I couldn't imagine flying from calgary just for a 30 minute consult.

As well, a surgeon here in calgary said it will cost $3500.  But I keep seeing prices like $1000 or $1200 for this procedure with this Dr. Fielding.  If I could pay 1200 instead of 3500 then a little flight to TO wouldn't be anything.  Most people seem to have a good experience with this Dr so I am very interested in getting this procedure done with him.

Can anyone help me with this matter?  I am 29 and have finally decided to do this-its amazing the way everyone describes the trauma of dealing with this problem, from having to pinch nipples to get them to shrink and look "normal" to not wearing t-shirts-what I do is wear shirts with logos across the chest at just the right level to hide it.  Dont mean to be rambling on here, its just comforting to know that there are so many of us out there.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 10:04:38 PM by titsrntcool »

Offline chopemoff

• Bronze Member
I live in Alberta and I actually flew out for my consult, one day in and out, but if cost is an issue you should phone the office and see if you can just book straight in for surgery.

I don't think meeting in person is a HUGE deal as far as the doc confirming you HAVE the condition, but moreso for him to tell you what's to be done etc.

He does take measurements in the consult however so it may be necessary. I found it eased my mind about the whole process. I guess it's something a phone call would ascertain.

if you think about it though, you'll pay roughly 600 in airfare (for both consult and op) and probably about 200-300 in hospital fees and cab fare.

So you're still under 2 g's. If you think of it that way you're still kinda saving money and would likely get in quicker than with the calgary doc, and also know that the one you've chosen is going to do a very good job on you.

One of the reasons I chose fielding is because of all the feedback on this board and I could not be happier that I did.

I'm 25 and this is a turning point in my life, so I would urge you not to procrastinate, it's worth it!

good luck!

Offline BCGUY

• Bronze Member
Fielding won't book surgery without seeing you first. I am from B.C and I flew out for both my consultation and my surgery. I am really happy with my results... and they keep getting better everyday. I can now wear tight shirts and not even worry about my chest. I am too 25 and gyne has been on my mind since puberty. I can now live my life like I wanted to.

Offline titsrntcool

• Posting Member
How much exactly did he charge you guys for your surgery?  Did he say why-or do you know why his prices are so low compared to everyone else?

As well, if you get it done by him and live out of town, how long do you have to stay in TO?  Do you see another surgeon for follow up?  Someone closer to where you live?
Thanks

Offline gynecomaster

• Posting Member
It is actually kinda strange how Fielding's prices are considerably lower than most plastic surgeon's. I came from Quebec and it cost me 2330.00 - The bad part is: Quebec (which I have been informed is the only province in Canada)who's insurance won't cover the charges for the anesthesia etc...So basically, since your from Calgary, I think you will only have to pay for excision and lipo charges, which is usually around 1200...But at the consultation, he does take some measurements and then mystically determines the price...so I believe you'll have to fly out there...unfortunately. But now that I've had the surgery with Fielding, and getting the great results, and the lack of pain and trauma...I would probably fly in from australia to get surgery!

Offline brebguy

• Silver Member
  • Montrealer
actually, the thing that is not covered in the province of quebec is both lipo and excision. in the rest of the country, insurance pays for excision because its not considered a cosmetic surgery like lipo.

as for anesthesia, it's something that never came up in the discusion or the prices (it seems to be included in the surgery fees). if you look at your receipt,  you'll see that the procedure includes lipo and excision.

also, the prices are very low because Fielding doesnt have a big staff since he does surgery at the hospital. compared to other doctors that have their own clinic with all the equipment and staff. insurance doesnt pay for private clinic fees.
note that Quebec will pay like all other provinces for regular hospital stay after surgery.

so there... i payed about twice as much as what other canadians pay but it's still all worth it with train tickets and hotel.
surgery did not work...:-(
Dr. Fielding (TO - Ontario : 416.766.8890) on august 9th, 2006 and revision on september 21st, 2007

Offline supaaman

• Silver Member
Book your flight for your consult man!  Fielding is the man and yes his prices are better.  His range is $1200-1800 + GST, depending on how much work he has to do.  He bills the healthcare system for all excision costs.  Would you rather have some guy in Calgary who has done 5 gune surgeries in his life, or Fielding who does 150 a year and charges less.  Trust me, the flights/hotels are a small price to pay!  Good luck!
JCF  Success Story - Surgery Aug 23, 2006

Offline Carn

• Posting Member
I would go with Fielding. He does alot more gyne operations a year than others in Canada.

Since you're from Calgary, the only thing you'll have to pay for is the liposuction ($1200 - $1800 or $1050 is student). The Fielding will bill the excision (gland removal) cost to healthcare.

You might want to book for consult soon because you might now get an early date to see him (most people on this board report 2-3 months). Once you see him for your consult, you'll have to wait another 2-3 months for the operation.

Offline Dadadaboom

• Posting Member
Lawlz to the t-shirts with logos across the chest - I do (or rather, did) the same thing!  

I had my surgery done recently by Dr. Fielding. I'm still wearing the foam/vest combo, but I took a peak inside, and so far, it looks pretty good. I was pretty surprised at how low Dr. Fielding's rates were. But, I guess if you do 4-5 of them every Wednesday, at $2K a pop from client + another $2K from government, plus whatever he gets from government for initial/post consultations, and the guy must be raking in well over a million bucks a year.

Offline Give me Life

• Gold Member
As other said, he won't book you for a surgery till the initial consultation. And his fees depends on the work (your size of boobs). He chraged me $1900 as I had really big size. (You can see my pictures). I am today 2 months post ops. I won't say I have complete flat out chest yet. I still have small size boobs. Or I can say it is the skin part which yet to shrink. But It's getting better as swelling go by each day. He told me in my first meeting that I have to wait atleast 8-10 months for the better result. And I think he was right. If you see my comments ealier, I was not happy. (may be I was jealous with others as they had flat chest right after surgery) but seems like I will be enjoying shirtless summer next year for sure. Let's see.

Yeah. Cost is a big factor for people flying from Calgary as you have to fly 2 times. And when you come for a surgery, you have to stay in hotel for atleast one night. So keep everything in mind. But Dr. Fielding is the best in the business. And beside that very good man. That I must say.
Surgery done on Sept 6th, 2006 with Dr. Fielding - Toronto. Not 100% cured but will get there for sure !!!
----------------------------------------------------

Revision done on December 7th, 2007. Let's hope for best !!!
-------------------------------------------

Dr. Fielding
Suite #401, 2425 Bloor Street West, Toronto

Tel: 416.766.88

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024