Author Topic: hormones ?!  (Read 2949 times)

Offline starlight555

Hi folks,

I'm new to this board (which is a great source of information; you're doing a great job!) and have a question regarding hormones.

I'm 22 yo around 175cm/5'8" and 66kg/145lbs. and had my gyno checked out last year. The blood test results back then showed the following results:

testosterone  5.83 ng/ml (normal range 2.41-8.27)
FSH 1.2 U/l (normal range 1-18)
prolactine 9.6 ug/l (normal range 2-18)

other hormones haven't been tested, also i had a checkup at the urologist who said everything was fine there.

well, i then went abroad for a while and also went on a diet losing 8kg in march and april. since my surgery is scheduled for next saturday, i had to have a blood test again. it was perfectly fine only the hormones were showing weird results:

testosterone 11.5 ng/ml (too high!)
FSH 2.2 U/l (normal)
progesterone 1.3 ng/ml (too high! normal range 0-1)
DHEA-S 605 ug/dl (too high! normal range 100-300)
estradiol 62 pg/ml (too high! normal 7-43)

my gyno hasn't changed, although it is a bit smaller but more visible because of a slight fat loss.

could anybody here help me interpret these results?
i have a final appointment with my surgeon on wednesday.

Offline ovuca

• Posting Member
High testosterone is a good thing. I'm not sure how to convert ng/ml to nmol/L (which is standard where I live), so I can't tell you exactly how high your levels are. High testosterone means a potential for high estrogen, however, as estradiol is converted from testosterone. Estrogen bad (what causes gyno), testosterone good.

It's a little unusual to have both very high levels of estrogen and testosterone, as estrogen inhibits testosterone. To me it seems like you are in puberty, or have taken steroids lol.

Slightly elevated E levels aren't necessarily that bad, if the ratio against testosterone is okay, which it seems to be in your case. High estrogen and low testosterone is a bitch.

So if you aren't experiencing:
a) water retention/puffyness in face etc.
b) continued breast enlargement
c) being very emotional

I wouldn't worry!

Offline starlight555

thx for your quick reply.

well i never took any steroids nor have i worked out much in the past couple of months. i'm 22 so i don't know when hormones normalize after puberty, i have been kind of a late developer though.

i don't experience the symptoms you described. i also googled and found out that 11.5 ng/ml (which is almost twice the amount i had last july!) translates into 26 nmol/L.

Offline ovuca

• Posting Member
Well, in that case your testosterone levels are very healthy.

Offline greenthumb

• Posting Member
I am also new to this forum and have a very similar question that I would appreciate feedback on.

I have had this condition seemingly since teens, I am 24 and overweight, however in the past year I have lost 86lb's...This has allowed me to see that the gyne isn't improving at all.

I have visited the doctor twice. The first time the advice I received was 'keep losing weight, see what happens'...The 2nd time was recently, I had a blood test to see if it was hormonal, apparently the results are normal...So they aren't interested in seeing me again.

The doctors implied that if it isn't reflected in the hormones then it will simply go away with weight loss, but the information I read here argues that...Can anyone who is SURE on this clarify for me?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
greenthumb...

How tall are you and how much do you weigh right now?

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline greenthumb

• Posting Member
230lbs / 5ft 11.

but the gyne is pretty prominent either way

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member

well, i then went abroad for a while and also went on a diet losing 8kg in march and april. since my surgery is scheduled for next saturday, i had to have a blood test again. it was perfectly fine only the hormones were showing weird results:

testosterone 11.5 ng/ml (too high!)
FSH 2.2 U/l (normal)
progesterone 1.3 ng/ml (too high! normal range 0-1)
DHEA-S 605 ug/dl (too high! normal range 100-300)
estradiol 62 pg/ml (too high! normal 7-43)

my gyno hasn't changed, although it is a bit smaller but more visible because of a slight fat loss.

could anybody here help me interpret these results?
i have a final appointment with my surgeon on wednesday.

With levels like that (especially oestradiol), I would hold fire on the surgery and get yourself along to see an Endocrinologist.  It would be foolhardy to have surgery if there is an underlying issue that is affecting your hormones.  You don’t want the gyne growing back again after surgery.

Don’t worry, there could be simple explanations for those results but do get yourself checked out first.
Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024