Author Topic: athlete needs to get buff chest?  (Read 3606 times)

Offline gman24

• Posting Member
Hey guys I was just wondering, can gynecomastia prevent you from growing chest muscle. I have a mild case. I have been lifting for years and since I have been getting stronger my chest is never getting bigger and nipples are getting pointier and puffier.

For an athlete who needs to get big is my only option surgery?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
You are not the first person to observe that even a small amount of breast tissue seems larger when perched atop a well defined muscle.

There is not a relationship between the two otherwise. Perhaps your muscle development has simply peaked.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
IF you understand the anatomy of gyne, you will understand why you cannot achieve a trim and contoured chest by exercising alone.

Gyne is comprised of fat and breast tissue (in varying ratios) which sits on top of the chest wall (pectoralis) muscle.  If the muscle is exercised and enlarges, it merely pushes the gyne tissue further out.  The only way to achieve a contoured chest is to surgically remove the gyne tissue so that the skin fits closely to the contour of the muscle (kind of like tissue paper).  It is only then that the muscle contour will be visible.

Having gyne does not prevent your muscle from enlarging during exercise.  Persons who take anabolic steroids (not recommended) can make their muscles grow significantly larger-- but at a steep price in their health.  Perhaps the best way to look muscular and defined is to exercise and build the muscle and significantly decrease your body fat percentage -- to achieve the definition you seek.  And, of course, gyne surgery if needed.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Hey guys I was just wondering, can gynecomastia prevent you from growing chest muscle. I have a mild case. I have been lifting for years and since I have been getting stronger my chest is never getting bigger and nipples are getting pointier and puffier.

For an athlete who needs to get big is my only option surgery?

No, I work with many bodybuilders with gynecomastia. Here is a post with such resources:

https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=8774.msg62642#msg62642

A common complaint is as they build the muscles, what sits on top of the muscles gets pushed out further. Another factor, as body fat decreases, remaining gland is further unmasked. You can see that in the extreme athletes demonstrated on those resources. Here is post to better understand the anatomy of gynecomastia with resources:

https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=22115.msg148990#msg148990

No surgery is not the only option. When the gland is swollen form hormonal stimulation, stopping the stimulation can result in gland shrinkage that may be enough. When there is no such swelling and the gland is in the fibrotic or burned out phase, then the options become just ignoring the contour or having surgery to shape it.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.
Board Certified
American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member: American Society of Plastic Surgeons and American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
Specializing in Gynecomastia and Surgical Sculpture of the Male Chest
(804) 748-7737

Offline gman24

• Posting Member
Ok I need to get this resolved. I need surgery to get rid of this because I am going crazy because I have ocd. But my parents wont help me and say I need to love myself. So could I get the operation done withouts them knowing. How much does it cost for a mild case?

Offline gman24

• Posting Member
Oh forgot to mention. Im 19

DrBermant

Ok I need to get this resolved. I need surgery to get rid of this because I am going crazy because I have ocd. But my parents wont help me and say I need to love myself. So could I get the operation done withouts them knowing. How much does it cost for a mild case?

Yes, quite a few of my patients have their surgery and keep the issue private from their family. Someone needs to be with any patient who is discharged after sedation or general anesthesia, it is a safety regulation for any real credentialed operating room. When our patients do not have a family member or friend, then we are happy to help arrange a nurse for the necessary time interval. Remember hiding that you have had surgery depends on what happens after surgery. It is harder to hide discomfort, swelling and bruising after surgery. The more refined the sculpting process, the less the injury, the easier it is to look and feel comfortable after surgery. Many doctors do not post the path that their patients need to travel to get from the before to after surgery results. The evolution seen on my website is typical for my patients. For years my documentation was used by me to help evolve my techniques to permit patients to move on with their lives in the easiest possible fashion. I then put that up for all to see and help improve the education process and differentiate between what any one doctor offers.

Cost for surgery varies around the world. Lower costs and less travel do not always pay when revision surgery (almost always more expensive) is needed. I have seen many unhappy patients done elsewhere who have explained that that they regretted not being more careful in their original surgeon selection. In our office, the cost of surgery depends on the problem to be treated. Jane is my office manager and would be glad to discuss typical costs and fees.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
While there may be patients who can arrange for surgery without making their parents aware, at your age it would be wiser and better for you to have them on your side.  There are many stories on this forum in which young men communicated with their parents, either by letter or by sitting down and speaking frankly with them, and have then been able to make them understand the extent of the physical and emotional problems brought on by gynecomastia.

Why not try doing this?  Most parents want only the best for their children -- they really are in your corner.  Unfortunately, many parents do not understand the depth of the problems of gynecomastia and so they may be cavalier when it is initially brought up for discussion.  It is up to you to make them understand.

If it is a question of money and affordability, then your parents are in the best position to help you -- with outright payment for your surgery or with better credit than you have in order to qualify for some type of patient financing.

While it is true that anyone over 18 can legally sign a consent for surgery, it is the rare 19 year old who can arrange for, travel for and pay for surgery by himself -- all without knowledge of his parents.

Again, speak to your folks -- they are not your enemy.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024