Author Topic: Any good excuses for missing work due to surgery?  (Read 26236 times)

Offline tubbs

• Posting Member
I am scheduled for surgery in a couple of weeks.  I will need to take Thursday and Friday off.  I have already missed a few days over the last month due to strep throat.

I know my plastic surgeon can write me a note, but my company/boss is very anal and will do an internet search on the surgeon and know he does plastic surgery.

I have a doctor friend who specializes in oncology who will write me a note...he says a mole removal will do the trick.  But I don't know what the best would be. 

Thoughts?  Previous exeriences?

Thanks!

Offline Mind.tfk

• Posting Member
So I'm guessing that your trying to hide it from your boss? In that case say what your friend said about the mole thing. And they better not ask to see it either. Tell them it was on your ass.

Offline JJ79

• Posting Member
Hello,

I have my surgery scheduled for the 18th of March and am planning to tell my boss that I will have a cyst removed (very general) without going into details and will have to obviously take that day plus other 3 off to recover. The clinic I am going to told  me that they do not provide such certificates to give to my employer but my general physician agreed to write me a certificate stating my inability to go to work. Good luck! cheers

Offline tubbs

• Posting Member
The cyst sounds like a beauty.  I just don't know enough about moles...a cyst sounds much more serious.

Ya know, I felt bad at first about using a medical situation as an excuse what with 'karma' or not respecting people that have life/death sitatutions...but jeebus!  After living with my jugs for over 20 years, I am entitled!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
tubbs, dude, you do not need to tell your boss/employer that you went to a PS....  Just call in sick my man. I highly doubt that he/she will reprimand you for a few more sick days ....   ;)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline snycs10

• Bronze Member
If you want to mae it sound serious you can tell them you're having a benign tumor removed.

Offline rashdudes

• Bronze Member
What sort of work do you do? Is it a desk Job? Can u work remotely?

U can say that you had a small accident (where you fell on your chest first)  ;D

Offline tubbs

• Posting Member
I work at a desk in sales.  I've missed three days already in a new(ish) job and my paycheck got docked this week for going over my sick days..I had strep throat.  My company is VERY uptight.  That's why this is such a big deal.  They look into everything with a fine tooth comb.  It's a great place to work, lol!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
The best thing to do is to go to your boss and tell him/her that you need some critical surgery done. I'm sure they will understand. If they do ask 'what' the surgery is for, just say it's personal and leave it at that. Your employer really doesn't have the right to ask/know what your surgery is for....  Ever heard of Doctor/Patient confidentiality?

GB

Offline milesed1

• Silver Member
They don't have the right to know any details, but do have the right to demand a Dr. excuse. If you go the mole route, they can't ask to see it- it may be considered harassment.

Offline desi

• Gold Member
Formerly, 'Fattgayee', as in 'Torn Apart' or more so 'I am Screwed' :)

Offline donnieosmond

• Bronze Member
Walk up and tell your boss to go darn himself and then quit and then you'll have all the time you need. Sounds like a damn loser. Why work for someone like that, there are plenty of jobs out there.

Offline tubbs

• Posting Member
Awesome advice...I think I'll quit tomorrow.  Who cares about the mortgage payment, except for the bank?!

Offline miles24

I just had my surgery on friday and i told my office I tore a muscle in my chest at the gym.  I did not want them to know exactly why i had surgery but this way they were able to know i had surgery, and this would explain any chest garments that you have to wear, as well as any physical activity you will not be able to do right after the surgery. 

Offline tubbs

• Posting Member
Talked to my boss/micro-manager after work yesterday...I told him I hae to take Thursday and Friday off next week.  The excuse I used is that I have to have a 'lipoma' removed...which is basically a non-cancerous tumour.

My doctor friend recommended it saying that he would write me a note explaining that I needed the additional day off becuase the stitches cannot be bothered and he has ordered me to take it easy and not work.

The boss/micro-manager was cool about it...for now.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024