Author Topic: % of satistified surgery paitents/verse unsatistfied-numbers of guys who choose  (Read 4925 times)

13genof

Gynecomastia Questions????

What is the percentage of men that choose to surgery that are satisfied with their surgery results?

what is the actual percentage of men with Gynecomastia?

What is the actual percentage of men with Gynecomastia that have surgery verses just living with?

What is the percentage of men that have surgery and are NOT satisfied?

What percentage of men with Gynecomastia, that also suffer from body Dismorfia disorder?

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 12:15:29 PM by 13genof »

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Good questions... however, there is no way of knowing the exact percentages...

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

13genof

I guess I should have stated estimated percentages, I figured that since some medical doctor are on here and someone like Merle, that they might be able to give fairly close counts as per reports from the AMA and other boards that do studies and keep records.   I got curious, because it seems as there are a lot of unsatisfied patients that are on here, more than successful results, and a lot of revisions.  It just doesn't seem worth it, but each to their own.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The following are estimates only. The sources are varied, I found these numbers after a lot of searching over several years. Because the condition is usually considered normal in the absence of any pathology,  the condition is often not reported so the numbers are probably somewhat on the low side.

In infancy: No numbers given, but very common. Usually shrinks and is unnoticed by the age of six months.

From infancy to puberty: Rare, In this period of life any breast enlargement should be considered suspect and investigated.

In early puberty: Approximately 2/3 of all males have some degree of gynecomastia in early puberty. Half of these regress after two to three years.

In late life: Among men who have passed the sixth decade of life, it is estimated that the frequency of gynecomastia is approximately 70%. I have found nothing to indicate how many of these are idiopathic compared to how many are as a result of medications.

Overall: The estimate is that at least some breast gland is palpable in 30% to 40% of all adult (or post puberty) males.

These numbers would seem to indicate that any man who goes through his entire life without ever experiencing some degree of breast enlargement is less normal than those of us who have breast enlargement. We are more normal than the totally flat chested males!

So far as I know, these figures do not include breast enlargement due to obesity where there is no glandular tissue evident.
Grandpa Dan

13genof

Thanks for the info Paa-Paw!

Any all response is welcomed!

Offline latediagnosis

• Silver Member
to be fair a lot of the people who get surgery are overweight, meaning its hard to be satisfied regardless of the result..

It's hard for them to look objectively at their chest as they're used to having an abnormal chest for as long as they can remember..

Offline merle

• Gold Member
  • Author, Psychotherapist, Consultant
    • Merle James Yost, LMFT
  I guess I should have stated estimated percentages, I figured that since some medical doctor are on here and someone like Merle, that they might be able to give fairly close counts as per reports from the AMA and other boards that do studies and keep records.   I got curious, because it seems as there are a lot of unsatisfied patients that are on here, more than successful results, and a lot of revisions.  It just doesn't seem worth it, but each to their own.

the boards have a very disportioncate number of men that are unhappy with surgery results, because most men, post surgery simply go on with their lives and don't hang around the boards. So the result is representative. I would guess that the vast majority are ok to very happy with the results. Unless the surgeon did a bad or incomplete job, a lot of the unhappiness is due to BDD or other psychological issues.

Merle
Demystifying Gynecomastia: Men with Breasts
The first book on Gynecomastia

My newest book: Facing the Truth of Your Life is very relevant to members of this forum. It could save you a lot of unnecessary pain and time.

Book books are available on Amazon. FTTOYL is also available through your local bookstore or on Audible or iTunes.

13genof

Thanks Merle for your response!

I am thankful that you started this forum and are keeping it as an open forum, with all opinions welcome!

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
latediagnosis,

I cannot agree.

While obesity is often a factor in Gynecomastia, It is by no means the most common factor.

Many surgeons would reject a seriously overweight person or put the off until they had lost a significant amount of weight. Very simply, they would need to be able to see to what extent the breasts would naturally shrink as a result of the weight loss.

There are a number of men who have legitimate complaints about their surgical results, but most of the dissatisfaction comes from other factors such as what Merle has mentioned.

If a person wants to have the best results possible, there are several things that they can do to guarantee their own satisfaction.

First: Prepare yourself for surgery. If this means getting your weight down to within normal range, do it.

Second: Use care in the selection of your surgeon. Verify their Board Certification and experience.

Third: Follow all Pre and Post operative instructions to the letter. While a lot of the questions posted here are good grist for the conversation mill, many or them should have been directed to the surgeon.

Fourth: Your expectations must be realistic. Surgery will not change who or what you are and it will not suddenly give you the body of Adonis.

Fifth: Be patient. While there are some cases where the man is instantly overjoyed with his results, Many do not achieve their final result for several months. Allow time for the swelling etc. to subside. I think this is actually more of an issue where the amount of tissue removed was small because the swelling might be highly localized.

You have the power to influence the surgical outcome. Use it.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024