Author Topic: Any chance it will go away?  (Read 2570 times)

Offline #10

I'm 17 (and 1/2, for what it's worth) 5'7", 150lbs, and I've had gyne for 5-6 years.  It hasn't grown or shrunk at all since about 5 years ago when it stopped growing.  I'm a pretty fit guy, average build, not extremely muscular but not overweight.

I've research gyne and thought that there was no chance it could go away on it's own, but I had my annual check up a few days ago and talked to the doctor about it and he said it's nothing to worry about, it will go away when I finish puberty.  I think he's wrong, because he doesn't really know the whole story, but I just want to be sure.  Is there any chance at all it will go away on it's own?

Also, I was planning on talking to my parents about the problem and asking for surgery.  Next year I'll be a senior in HS and after that I'm going to college.  I want to get surgery next summer before I go to college.  I'll be 18 1/2, is that too young for surgery?  I want to be able to go to college and enjoy it w/o worrying about my chest.

Offline Raboze

• Bronze Member
18 is a good age to get your surgery depending on your case -- which I doubt will go away on it's own if it's still here at this age.
Do you have any pictures to share?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Sorry to disagree with your doctor -- if you have had gyne for over 5-6 years and it has been stable, then it will not magically disappear when you turn 18.  Surgery would be the best answer for you.

Speak to your folks and get them on your side.  Then research a plastic surgeon in your area who has significant interest and expertise in gyne surgery.

Best of luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline prabil

• Posting Member
As mentioned in other posts, I am not a doctor. But my gyno started about the same time as you.  By seventeen the severity of the gyno was gone, but I still had some fat and gland. Mild case I would call it. If you are close to your parents and they would be willing to pay for the surgery, I would highly recommend it.  Do it early in the summer as the major pain is gone in a few days, but it will linger for  a few months.  College is a great time and you don't want to hide your gyno in the dorms are with a female. Having the surgery will also boost your self esteem and you will be proud of yourself when giving presentations in your classes. If I had to do it all over again, I would do it before college.  If your parents think your crazy show them a lot of websites. You will probably see men who have it less than you and they had surgery.  My guess is you have it mild as well, but doing the surgery will boost your confidence so much that it will be a win win for you. Hope this helps.

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
The important aspect is how does your chest impact you. If it affects the way you feel about yourself you may as well have it taken care of now and enjoy your college years. As Dr. Jacobs pointed out, be sure to seek out a plastic surgeon who has expertise in gyne.
Good luck!

Dr. Cruise
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024