Author Topic: Can I play contact sports after surgery?  (Read 2967 times)

Offline cymro

• Posting Member
Hi, I'm seriously considering surgery and I was just wondering how strong will the nipple area be when I have recovered from surgery. Will I be able to take blows to the chest or will the nipple area always be weaker than before the surgery? Also what are the chances of me having full sensation of my chest area after the surgery? I am 20 years old if anyones wondering. Thanks

-Also for a totally different question regarding surgery results, why is the areola pinker with guys with gynecomastia and does it change colour after surgery?
Thanks

Offline herbie verschmels

• Posting Member
i was told wait 6 weeks. I am now 8 weeks out today and i have been playing for the past 2 weeks. It hurts to get hit in the chest when playing basketball, but hey at least i have less gyne to worry about :)

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
While I usually recommend 3-4 weeks after surgery before resuming exercise, I would strongly recommend at least 8 weeks or more before beginning contact sports.  A direct blow to the chest prematurely healing can un-do lots of your own healing.

Once you are fully healed, the chest will be as sturdy as if no surgery had been performed. 

As for nipple color, after gyne surgery, the skin will shrink and nipples will diminish in their diameter.  The pigment in the areola will therefore be more concentrated and hence darker in color.  Check out any pre/post photos -- the areolas will always be a shade darker after surgery.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024