Author Topic: Swelling, Scar Tissue, or Fat?  (Read 7562 times)

Offline mranon

• Posting Member
About a week or so ago I had posted a topic about a "nipple crease" I had (the thread can be found at http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=18594.0)

Good news....the crease is pretty much gone. However there is still a ridge of fat on the same side that I am unhappy with.

It has been about 6 weeks since my surgery. The left side of my chest looks awesome, but I wanted to ask a few questions about this ridge of fat on the right side.

I understand that I need to wait 6 months to a year for the final result, but I just wanted to ask these few questions to get a better understanding of swelling and scar tissue.

After reading many posts, a lot of people say not to worry because the problem area is usually just swelling or scar tissue. I still don't really understand how to determine this. Is scar tissue always hard? Or does scar tissue turn soft after a certain amount of time? Because the area I am unhappy with is very soft, like fat. This makes me worry that it is not scar tissue, but excess fat that should have been removed. I have no remaining hard areas except for a tiny hard spot of scar tissue under the areola which is normal.

As for swelling, what exactly does this entail? When swelling is referred to, does it usually mean right under the areola? Because my problem area is actually more toward the side of my chest.

I guess I may be stressing out a bit. But when compared to the near-perfect left side of my chest, I am unsatisfied with the right side.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 09:43:55 PM by mranon »

Offline mranon

• Posting Member
Thanks for the input man. It sounds like we definitely have a similar situation going. It's great to hear that your doc said it is swelling!

I, too, am happy with my results, but I would be 100% satisfied if this were just swelling and it went away.

Keep me posted on how everything progresses.

Also if anyone else has any more info on this, please post!

Thanks.

Offline legalman

• Posting Member
i've been having similar thoughts, but what helped me was to remember that the doctor basically had your breast open and he probably knows exactly what he took out and what he left in. if he says its swelling i would be inclined to trust him.

Offline mranon

• Posting Member
Yeah that's a good way to look at it bro. Definitely helped to ease my mind a bit.

Offline mranon

• Posting Member
Just a little update. It's now been over 7 weeks since my surgery, and the situation that I had initially posted in this thread has not made any improvement. I am saving u for a revision just in case it is not resolved in about 4 months or so. Please just let this be swelling!!!

Offline unsure101

• Bronze Member
gents,

ive 5 months post op and at about the 3 month mark my chest go HEAPS better... the right side was really funny looks, puffy etc... now it only a little little puffy.

When I run it swells a little which causes the puffyness from what ive observed.. must still have swelling and when i run the fluid rushes to the area... so 5 months on I am still healing.

Note: my brother had the same operation and 3 week after the operation his chest looked great and still looks great ... and I am still healing.  Goes to show we are all different and it does take a long time to heal.

I hope in the next few months the last bit of swelling will go down (only right nipple). oh, btw, under the right nipple there is about 20% the amount of hardness there was at the 1,2 and 3 month mark.

Offline mranon

• Posting Member
gents,

ive 5 months post op and at about the 3 month mark my chest go HEAPS better... the right side was really funny looks, puffy etc... now it only a little little puffy.

When I run it swells a little which causes the puffyness from what ive observed.. must still have swelling and when i run the fluid rushes to the area... so 5 months on I am still healing.

Note: my brother had the same operation and 3 week after the operation his chest looked great and still looks great ... and I am still healing.  Goes to show we are all different and it does take a long time to heal.

I hope in the next few months the last bit of swelling will go down (only right nipple). oh, btw, under the right nipple there is about 20% the amount of hardness there was at the 1,2 and 3 month mark.

That is great to hear! Makes me feel a lot better. I am still less than 2 months out of the operation so hopefully I still have progress to make.

That is very interesting about your brother healing quickly. I guess even two people with more similar genes can heal totally different.

Good luck with your healing and thanks for sharing!

Offline WackWack

• Posting Member
I am having the same exact concern, I am like 3 weeks post op. I have the crease, with the upper chest swelling.

Offline unsure101

• Bronze Member
Is your swelling really soft, like fat, or is it harder?

I think what we are trying to figure out is if this soft stuff we have is fat or swelling.  Can swelling be really soft etc.

My swelling is soft, like fluid or some sort.

Offline maybemaybe

• Posting Member
wish I had read this before I posted a new topic. I have similar issue with left and rght being different. glad to see your's improved. I am 2 weeks post op. It is so distressing when one side looks almost perfect.

Offline Ganesh

• Bronze Member
from my personal experience..

we can get some idea about the surgeons work 1 week post op itself.. u can clearly diff. at that time b/w swelling and fat or gland

Offline freefromG

• Bronze Member
At 3.5 weeks myself, right side is spot on exactly what i realistically had hoped to achieve, the left side at first looked good as well although it now appears as if there is puffiness from swelling (hopefully not gland) under and to the lateral side of my nipple (it is still better than before. My main concern is that i think normal chest fat has been pulled out from an area about 2 inches long by 1 wide from the nipple to the centre of my chest leaving a noticeable depression esp if chest flexes at all... rather pissed about it because it is in the most protruding point of the pectoral so i now have a slightly flatter pec that has a divot in it when flexed (so hoping that the muscle is ok because i have some nerve issues that go down my rib and also up into my arm sometimes).

Anyone else experienced this? It is most likely that the surgeon does one side (figures out any mistakes he made) and then does the other, properly. this bloke had done many b4 that looked good and he has the experience and credentials of a great PS although he warned that depression can occur (among other things)

Is 3.5 weeks too early to be concerned about stuff that will even itself out? good to hear unsure101 that yours has healed up after a while and it would not suprise me if it is fluid as in my check up i had a needle put into to extract a little (didnt get much) but that was the good side. I asked if fluid will go away by itself and he said "eventually but u dont really want it there".

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024