Author Topic: Surgery @ Sagar Hospitals; Bangalore--> 1 day post op  (Read 9995 times)

Offline jigupse

• Posting Member
So here's my surgery experience.

Exactly 3 years ago, I had consulted an Endo at Bangalore Hospitals (South End) and the doctor there replied that I can get rid of my gyne by doing some chest exercises..Well 3 years later the gyne was still there if only a lot more visible since now the muscles made my moobs look bigger.

So tired and sick of my gyne, I went and consulted an Endo at the relatively famous Sagar Hospitals, Jayanagar on Oct 2nd. There he made me lie down on my back and after seeing the gyne he said 'it's not that much'!..However when he made me stand up, he did agree that I have one indeed and  told that can be easily removed. Then he checked my testicles' size(I was so not comfortable with a man touching it...but hey if its for removing gyne then I would do anything!) and asked how frequently I shaved ( to which I replied daily..not a problem there...I have been shaving since 16). Satisfied that both these are normal he then referred to me to a Plastic surgeon named Dr D R Sekhar at the same hospital. The Endo's name is Dr Mohan K Rao and he said that I just have Bilateral Gynecomastia but everything else seems normal, so he suggested that I would 'respond' well to surgery. Also he gave me a list of blood and urine test which was to be done under fasting. I got them done at Sagar Clinics (Bsk 3rd stage) and cost me about 1.5k. The results were normal inlcuding the Estradiol count. I did some profile checl on Dr Sekhar and he seemed an alright person with decent qualification and experience. So I fixed up an appointment with the PS Sekhar. You can visit his website at the following address...

www.drsekhar.com

Dr Sekhar seemd OK and he told me that I would require a Liposuction+ glandular excision. Also he told me that the surgery would cost around 30K if done at Sagar hosiptals...if I were to choose some other clinics where the same Doc is also a PS, it would have cost me around 4-5K less. However I decided to have the surgery at Sagar itself. So I fixed up an appointment for 31st October, and the doc told me to come at 7 am in the morning and also informed that most probably can leave by 4 in the evening.

( Dr Sekhar was the first and only PS that I consulted..hope I havent made any mistake there)

When the D-day arrived I was surprisingly calm. I say surprising because I noramlly tend to be a bit hysterical but somehow ( I dont know how) I was calm. I reached the hospital at around 7 15 AM and there a nurse did some initial tests and also gave me a test dose of anasthesia to see whether I have any allergic reaction( thankfully I did not have any). Then I was admitted to a day-care centre. The day care centre is open from 8 Am to 6 PM and has beds and everything but you cant stay overnight there. Since the doc told me that I can go home the same day itself, I was admitted there. After I was done with the sahving of chest hair and putting on the hospital gown, I was taken to the OT. Before taking to OT, the Endo, Dr Mohan K Rao also came to check in on me and gave the green light to go ahead with the surgery. Apparently it is mandatory for na Endo to give permission for the surgery here at Sagar Hosptials.

While in OT I was chatting with the assiting doctor while Dr Sekhar was clicking photographs and was drawing some markings in and around my aerola, apparently formulating a plan. After this I was given anasthesia I suppose and snoozed off within no time. The next thing I know was the doc waking me up and stating that the surgery went well..I never responded because everything was still hazy and things seemd so supeficial. After this I was again shifted to day care where I slept for some time. Then Sekhar came to see me again in the day-care centre and again stated that surgey went well...He also suggested to slowly start taking some fluids, and if I didnt feel any vomitting sensation I can have some solid foods. I was relived because I was very hungry with what having gone without water since the previous night. So I ordered a ' mausambi juice' which I almost gulped down within seconds.  Satified that I didnt have any vomitting feeling, I ordered for some idlis. However as soon as I had had my first spoon-fill, the nausesness came with full force..so I stooped having the solid food and made with some liquid intake till the end of my hospital stay.

I was all ready to go at 5 PM so I soot up and went to have a pee. However whoever is reading this, please do remeber that dont ever try to walk alone after you have had a surgery barely hours ago. Balancing myself was very tough because my head was spinning at the rate of knots..Somehow I made it back to the bed and after being in sitting position for half an hour or so I seemed OK so I got ready to leave. Meanwhile my father , who was with me all along right from the first consultation, went to settle the bills. The final tally came at around Rs. 31100. After settling the bill, we took a Rickshaw and arirved home after which I watchde the live telecast of Yuraj Singh and MS Dhoni making a mincemeat of the Aussie bolwers!!.

So thats the expereince for me. I still dont tknow the results..so cant really comment whether the surgery was sucessfull, not sucessfull or somthing in between. I still have a recantgular vest tied around my chest and have an appointment again tomorrow with Sekhar to get the bandages removed. SO I get to see my chest post-op for the first time tomorrow...so keeping my fingers crossed and praying ferverently to God to make the surgery a sucess.

Wish me luck... ;-)

PS: Just want one clarification. I did not have any drains tied to my chest...and I had (apparently) a Lipo+ glandular excision...is it mandatory to have drains when you undergo excision??? Or does it depend on the individual bleeding and the severity of gyne?? This thot is bugging me a bit and the fact that most of the ops that I have read here hava had an overnight stay at hospital is something which is slightly nagging me.. Is it a concern that I did not stay overnight and no drains were attached to me?

Offline wantnewlife

• Silver Member
hey jigupse ,
congrats man!!! Wish you all the best for your recovery. hope you could share your pre-op/post-op pics ..
thanks..

Offline jigupse

• Posting Member
SO I met the doc today and he removed the bandages and the compression vest. He also told that the compression vest is no longer needed..I was kinda surprised by this but then the doc said all of his patients have followd the sam epreocedure...Guess each doc have their own procedures and in a way it's good that I dont have to waer any compression vest..Apart from it, the doctor also did some minor dressing and told me that I can remove the same within 3 days and also the stitches will be taken out in a week from today. Meanwhile I am on a medication for 3 days...

Anyways here are my post-op pics..(I do not have any pre op ones)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44224890@N05/4069277438/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44224890@N05/4068521879/in/photostream/

It's kinda wierd seeing them because I am very hairy and the hospital did a complete clean shave of my chest...Anyways, if my ches remains this way ( or better if it improves) then I will be a very satisfied man!

Offline wantnewlife

• Silver Member
hey, it's looking flat.. great result.. Congrats.:) about compression vest,it's kind of weird your doctor suggested you to not to wear that..  i think there's no harm in wearing that..

Offline jigupse

• Posting Member
Thanks wantnewlife!

In the other thread you were asking about Dr. Priyadarshan. Well, I saw his name plate at the Sagar Hospital, Jaynagar when I went to get my bandages removed. Apparently he consults only in the evenings in that hospital.

Funny thing because when I went for my first consultation for Endo and PS, I went in the morning. And in the mornings, Dr Sekhar is the only available experienced PS. SO I fixed a surgery date with him. I was not particular about PS because I trusted the 'Sagar' brand name and knew that all the doctors visiting that hospital would be resonably qualified and well experienced if not very great or somthing. So I went with the hospital brand rather than the PS brand. Quite unconventional, I must admit!

So if I had gone for the consultaion in the evening, then who knows, Dr Priyadarshan could well have been my PS! And I regret I cannot provide more information about him other than that of seeing his name plate in the hospital...

Offline wantnewlife

• Silver Member
jigupse,
it looks like you have gone to the right surgeon.. probably you should feel happy for not seeing Priyadarshan..

Offline jigupse

• Posting Member
5-day post op pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44224890@N05/4076581831/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44224890@N05/4076581833/

And this is moi wearing a skin-tight round neck t-shirt :D :D :D
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44224890@N05/4076581835/

I removed the dressing around my aerola troday and then took a shower..It felt so damn good. I will get my stitches removed on monday. The doc also said that he will giving an ointment which will heal the scar faster. I also have an appointment with the Endo about 3 weeks from now, just to see whether the hormones are not upto any of their mischiefs...

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 01:33:54 AM by jigupse »

ppathak1234

heyy Congrats Jigupse... you look in great shape, though I dont know how you looked before.

I have this condition for as far as I remember. M 27 now. Mine is not a very severe case, but easily visible if I wear t-shirts. i have got so many t-shirts with me(all gifted ones), but i never wear them (except while going to gym). I always wanted to learn swimming but couldnt because of this. There are so many things I cant do... as probably all the readers here would have experienced.

And today is the first time, when I'm writing or telling this to anybody (do they call it "coming out").

I called Manipal Hospital today morning and have fixed an appointment with Dr. Mohan Badgandi for this saturday (07 Nov). I just hope of getting this done as soon as I can... cant take any more stress because of this.
I'm actually planning to make up some story for my parents; can't tell them about the embarrassment I feel and have been going through.

Offline jigupse

• Posting Member
heyy Congrats Jigupse... you look in great shape, though I dont know how you looked before.

I have this condition for as far as I remember. M 27 now. Mine is not a very severe case, but easily visible if I wear t-shirts. i have got so many t-shirts with me(all gifted ones), but i never wear them (except while going to gym). I always wanted to learn swimming but couldnt because of this. There are so many things I cant do... as probably all the readers here would have experienced.

And today is the first time, when I'm writing or telling this to anybody (do they call it "coming out").

I called Manipal Hospital today morning and have fixed an appointment with Dr. Mohan Badgandi for this saturday (07 Nov). I just hope of getting this done as soon as I can... cant take any more stress because of this.
I'm actually planning to make up some story for my parents; can't tell them about the embarrassment I feel and have been going through.

All the best for your appointment.

And yeah same was the case with me regarding the t-shirts. Whenever I used to see some new t-shirts, i used to buy them off. Only after coming home I would realise that I look like an idiot with the chest protruding like that. So only dark colored  and loose t-shirts were the norm for me. I was at my wits end while explaining to people why I wear only dark colored cloths.

And I am not sure about  you NOT telling this to your parents. Unless of course you have someone else accompanying you to the surgery. Though it is not mandatory to have someone with you during the surgery, it helps a great deal (both empotonally and physically) if somebody is there with you. But that's just my opinion.

Anyways do tell us how the appointment went. If I can be of any help, then please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks!

ppathak1234

I told my dad about the appointment... not exactly about how I feel and what I have been going thru, but made up some story that a doc asked me to see an endocrinologist as my chest didnt look good to him... :P

Offline jigupse

• Posting Member
I told my dad about the appointment... not exactly about how I feel and what I have been going thru, but made up some story that a doc asked me to see an endocrinologist as my chest didnt look good to him... :P

Cool...Hope everything works out fine! :)

As for me, I am now 15 days post-op. And now is the time for the dreaded swelling and bruising.  :(I am completely freaked out! I know it's still early days, I should wait..but you cant help but get paranoid about this. Hopefully this is just a passe and will eventually heal by itself.

Other than that everything is fine. I can do all of the usual activities without any discomfort, I even rode a Bike today!...And also the skin seems just about allright..If only the swelling goes away...then I will be over the moon for sure!

Offline wantnewlife

• Silver Member
hope u r wearing compression vest.. i think it might be helpful in reducing the swelling.. keep us updated..

Offline chappu

• Posting Member

m 27 and i have this conditon for more than 10 years. I also suffer with hyper-tension.
I saw Dr. Mohan Badgandi at Manipal bangalore a week back, and after the tests, I was diagnosed with Hyper-thyroidism... a condition where thyroids are hyper-active. He said, this could be because of it, and if I get the surgery done now, it might come back. So he suggested me to take medicines for about 2-3 months, and then get the tests done again. He also told me that the some other symptoms also could be because of it, like hyper-tension, excessive sweating, and hair-loss (all of which I have been having).
Once the hyper-thyroidism is taken care of, he will suggest whether to go for surgery or not, depending on if the gyne reduces in size.

Offline jigupse

• Posting Member
hope u r wearing compression vest.. i think it might be helpful in reducing the swelling.. keep us updated..

No as I said before, my doc didnt ask me to wear the vest. So am not wearing any!! ( I only wore a surgical compression vest for the first 3 days..and after that nothing)

I think the swelling is just gone down a bit now. It is not completely flat, but am satisfied. Will try to post some fice tomorrwo. I have an appointment with the doc tomorrow to see how things are progressing. And i wore a tight t-shirt at work today and it felt good! ;)

Quote from:  chappu
m 27 and i have this conditon for more than 10 years. I also suffer with hyper-tension.
I saw Dr. Mohan Badgandi at Manipal bangalore a week back, and after the tests, I was diagnosed with Hyper-thyroidism... a condition where thyroids are hyper-active. He said, this could be because of it, and if I get the surgery done now, it might come back. So he suggested me to take medicines for about 2-3 months, and then get the tests done again. He also told me that the some other symptoms also could be because of it, like hyper-tension, excessive sweating, and hair-loss (all of which I have been having).
Once the hyper-thyroidism is taken care of, he will suggest whether to go for surgery or not, depending on if the gyne reduces in size.

Hopefully your G goess off once the hyper-thyrodism is taken care off. If not then the surgery option is always there..

Offline jigupse

• Posting Member
Damn man! Does massaging hurt you or what...? I mean surgery was a cakewalk, but this massage thing is by far the most un-pleasent experience for me!!

Anyways, I am now 3-1/2 week post-op, and I have to say I am satisfied. Satisfied but not overtly happy..as there is som slight bumps here n there..but nothing that would make me tear my hair off! I have realised the key thing is to not to expect sheer perfection from surgery. It will give a platform from where you could improve more by doing exercises and stuff. So as long as it remains unnoticable for others, then I guess it's ok.

So heres my 3 week post op pics. I have uploaded 5 of them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44224890@N05/?saved=1

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024