Author Topic: Question for people who HAVE HAD surgery  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Jan1010

• Posting Member
 had my Resection Gynecomastia surgery without liposuction (as I am somewhat fit) on January 6 2010 and already I am noticing fantastic results, almost no protrusion whatsoever, and no bruising at all.  I do have on issue: under both of my nipples there are mass like things that are almost identical to my previous gynecomastia (however quite a bit smaller) with two exceptions: a. they hurt like hell, and b. they don't really protrude and my chest still looks almost entirely flat.  My question is, is this what the swelling is and this will eventually just disappear?  I have had swelling before in other places from other injuries but the swelling was never quite this localized or this hard so I am a tad bit concerned so would appreciate anyone who can offer me any insight at all. 

Offline Jan1010

• Posting Member
Also, I was wondering if anyone knows when I can begin taking ibubrofen (to help with swelling) again.  They told me not to take it because of bleeding purposes before surgery and to continue not using after but didn't give me a time frame..thanks

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Everyone knows to avoid any aspirin for 1-2 weeks prior to surgery -- it can cause extra bleeding due to its long lasting effects on blood platelets.

But not everyone knows that the NSAIDS, such as Ibuprofen (Motrin), Alleve and others can also prolong blood clotting ability (which can result in more bleeding during surgery).  That is why surgeons usually provide a list of medications to avoid prior to and subsequent to surgery.

In most cases, it is safe to resume these medications around two weeks after surgery -- but would first check with your individual surgeon to make sure.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024