Author Topic: Surgery with Dr. Karidis - 1 week post op.  (Read 5599 times)

Offline Jonny5

• Posting Member
Surgery with Dr. Karidis - 1 week post op.
Hello chaps,

First of all I'd like to say a big thank you to all who have shared their surgery experiences, I'm sure like myself there are many hundreds of guys out there who come across this forum in the search for a solution to their problem. Until now I've just lurked but feel an obligation to at least stick some before and afters up when the time comes, hopefully as inspiration rather than a scare story!

Now for some waffle about my 'case' and feelings at this stage....

I'd have to describe my gyno as pretty mild, as confirmed by Karidis himself at the consultation, but it certainly has a profound impact on my life. The clothes I wear, activities I do etc. Several months ago I started looking to see if there were any strategies for coping, in fact I think the idea I had was taping my chest up! I came across some compression vests and a few days later mine arrived. After I got used to the tightness I found a new lease of life but it was far from perfect. If I wore a thin t-shirt it was clearly visible, but worse of all it was just so ridiculously hot. Nonetheless it gave me a taste of what it would be like to have a flatter chest.

During this time I also found this forum. I have to say at first I was pretty shocked by a lot of before and afters and it put me off surgery completely, this was in all the general forums and mostly the work of surgeons across the US I guess. Later on I discovered the UK forum and as it turns out we seem to have two of the best surgeons in the world on our little island. The results with Levick and Karidis speak for themselves, at worst decent and at best almost too good to be true. I live in London so Karidis was the logical choice.

I booked my consultation and suddenly the time had come. Still not entirely sure what I was doing I rocked up at the hospital and plonked myself amidst the middle-aged women to fill out some forms. I think I would have felt pretty self-conscious if the reality of the situation had hit home. Karidis himself was very matter of fact, but he didn't tell me anything I didn't already know....testament to this forum and the great accurate info provided, I knew exactly what he was going to tell me and I think he was pretty pleased that my expectations for recovery etc. had already been managed. We looked at some pics (all of which looked familiar!) and he gave me a quick squeeze and asked me to flex my pecs. The verdict - yes he could help and would remove the gland and do some lipo. 10mins later I'd paid the £1000 depsosit and got the date I wanted (I have two weeks off work from the day of the op). I left with spring in my step for sure.

That was on Wednesday and today is the first day I've doubted my decision. I find myself wondering if it's worth the risk, I mean my chest isn't that bad, right? I look at some cases on here and feel I should be thankful, am I really that vain?....but it does stop me from wearing tight t-shirts...or anything with thin material...or going swimming...or ever taking my shirt off in public...I'm starting to feel a bit anxious and surgery isn't for a month. I've paid the deposit now, not that the money is the be all and end all, in fact I think £4500 is an excellent investment in my future, provided everything goes well....but what if I'm in that 1% that needs a revision? Then it's more money and a year of torment with still no guarantee of being able to wear the clothes or do the things I signed up for this for in the first place. This is how I feel right now, perhaps a glimpse of the future and the post-op rollercoaster.

I went through all the papers they sent me this afternoon and the one thing that sticks in my mind is that someone is supposed to pick me up. I hadn't really considered this at all, my master plan was to have two weeks off and just go into hiding. I didn't want anyone to know. Has anyone gone through this alone, forum aside? Have you been ok to make your own way home alone after the op? If it comes down to it I have someone in mind but I have no intention of telling my family.....is that crazy? Despite my fears I don't want them to try and talk me out of it.

Anyway there you have it, as I said I'll do my best to post pics and provide updates. I hope I've got the balls to go through with it, I think you'd have to be super human not to worry about voluntarily going under the knife.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 08:03:03 AM by Jonny5 »

Offline Donut

• Gold Member
Congratulations! - I'm sure you won't regret it, first step to the rest if your life!

I'm still saving up... Bit of a way to go yet, but really hoping to get sorted in new year

Offline Jonny5

• Posting Member
Cheers Donut, I really hope so!

Keep on saving!

I woke up today thinking I'm doing the right thing after all, I've lost quite a lot of weight this year but my chest is the same. I'm going to focus on my exercise regime which has been ramping up the last 4/5 months now, determined to be in the best shape I've ever been by the time I hit the operating theatre. This is a great opportunity to change my life and I'm determined to do everything I can to help get the result I want :)

Offline thetodd

Its all down to the individual really, few questions.

- how old are you
- do you live alone
- are you in a relationship
- do you have anyone you can confide in

Really its best to have someone with you, your going to be aching and you wont be able to lift your arms. You wont be able to drive, and will have to rely on public transport if you get knocked you will feel a great deal of discomfort. Ideally if you are still in contact with your parents id recommend getting them to collect you and to recuperate at theirs for a few days. The problem is with a SO looking after you, is that if you ever break up they are likely to tell other people.

People have done it alone, and very young lads at that when i went for the surgery 4 years ago i was in contact with a 19 year old who was catching the train back to Scotland. If you are going to do it alone, you need to plan out your route if you can afford it get 1st class train seats if you live in London book cabs etc.

Post op recovery can be tough, for some people including me. The problem with hiding away for two weeks is that its not great for your mental well being. Its good to come on here and let off some steam on here but you may want to have someone close by that you can just vent to. A few weeks down the line you will probably have reservations and feel pretty shit about stuff, but most people do its just a process.

Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline Jonny5

• Posting Member
Thanks for the reply thetodd.

I'm 33, I do live alone and I'm not in a relationship. I'm still close to my parents but I just don't think they'd understand. Since my 1st post I decided to confide in someone. I'm taking her out to lunch on Tuesday, pretty sure she'll accept it and I know I can trust her. I'm hoping she'll pick me up from the hospital too, failing that a cab is no big deal as I only live 8 or 9 miles away (though in London if I'm leaving at 5pm I might not make it back for hours :)). I think you're right about the mental stuff, if I'm struggling and have nobody to turn to I might have a proper meltdown!

I'm going to consider the option of telling my parents, or at least my mum. That's going to be my mission for the next couple of days, weigh it up and see how I feel. Pretty foolish of me to not consider this stuff properly before. Surgery is one month on Tuesday.

Offline thetodd

I wouldn't worry, you really dont have to do anything but take yourself on the day. Get a shirt with buttons, so its easy to put on post op as you cannot lift your arms get it a few sizes bigger so its easy to get on.

To be honest, being so close to the hospital you dont really need anyone with you as long as you ask for help getting into the cab. If you want to tell your friend, thats sound but you could tell her a white lie as StJohns is just a hospital you could easily make an excuse say your having a hernia op or whatever i doubt she'l question you.

Mums are understanding and will definitely help you out, but she will probably worry about you so just prepare your self for that. Id recommend telling her as she may be able to take care of you post op ;).

Dont mull it over to much, there are things you can do to make recovery easier go shopping a day or so before and stock up on pineapple juice and fruit it helps with the swelling and will make you feel better post. Recovery physically isnt a huge problem, apart from the limited movement its not really particularly painful its more uncomfortable with the vest which is a pain in the arse!

Offline Jonny5

• Posting Member
Thanks for the advice thetodd.

I've managed to get 15 days off work from the day after the op so that's my initial recovery time sorted I hope. I confided in a friend and she's going to pick me up from the hospital so that's worked out ok too. She was completely unimpressed with my dirty secret (she's considering getting some 'work' done herself) in fact when we met up on the basis that I had some news, she said "I thought you were going to tell me you'd murdered someone!" Kind of puts it in perspective...and maybe says something about how I come across?!

I've started stockpiling pineapple chunks too...is there a limit to how much fresh/tinned/juiced pineapple I should be consuming? Any other foods that could benefit other than just healthy eating?

Blood tests are done and ok so all that's left is paying out my hard earned cash....and the small matter of the surgery itself and up to a year recovery!

Also a quick q for anyone that went with Karidis, do I need to buy any sort of compression gear before surgery, or anything else for that matter? From what I gather I'll be getting everything I need as part of the deal.

Cheers

Offline thetodd

They give you two vests, you will wake up with one on and they give you one to take away. They are handwash only, so just keep on top of handwashing one and wearing one because they will stink a bit. They will also give you some plasters and pain killers, everything they need they will give you. But you will need a front fastening shirt post

Glad she took it well, 15 days off is fine so you can relax once you've paid up :)

Offline jamie10

• Bronze Member
Hey, hope your surgery goes well in the near future. I think tinned pineapple may work well for the bromelain in it, but not sure how successful this really is - you may have to eat a lot to get good effects. Best to take arnica tablets, that's what's recommended by Levick...

By the way, what kind of blood tests did you have done? I have not had any with Levick and I am booked in for surgery. Not sure what the tests do for us exactly? Was there a potential issue that could prevent you from getting surgery?

Offline Jonny5

• Posting Member
They're giving me a couple of weeks worth of arnica as well, can't hurt to eat as much pineapple as I can stomach in the early recovery stage though.

No pre-existing issues that meant I had to have the bloods, I just assumed everyone has to do it. Looking at the form I was given I had 3 - Full blood count, COAG Screen and Urea & Electrolytes. What those are for exactly I have no idea, I just did as I was told!

I see you're booked in now too, I wish you well. The date of your surgery is the day I have to go back to work actually, hopefully I'll be on the mend by then.

Cheers

Offline jamie10

• Bronze Member
Well, I am not sure if I will get blood sent away or anything like that, it wasn't clear. Well, I will just go with what happens on the day. Don't mind giving blood really...

Best of luck and hope you heal quick :)

Offline Jonny5

• Posting Member
So it would appear I haven't died, that's the first hurdle dealt with!

Can't believe how quickly everything happened today. Arrived at half 8 and here I am post op. Feeling fine just a little groggy any hungry.

Took some before shots this morning after removing chest hair. Will update later in the week. Got the England game to look forward to later which will help take my mind off things. Thanks again for everyone's help and  advice to get me this far. Let the rollercoaster begin!

Offline Myers

• Bronze Member
Congratulations mate, I hope everything goes well with your recovery. I had mine done 2 weeks ago and i look forward to seeing your progress!

Offline g3579

• Bronze Member
Nice one! I'm 10 weeks post op with Dr. Karidis and all I can say is bear with it, let the healing do what it needs to, and don't stress!!! All WILL be fine :)

Keep us posted...

Offline Jonny5

• Posting Member
Re: Surgery with Dr. Karidis - done, Couple of pics added
Thought I'd post a couple of pics now I'm a few days out. I think this angle best shows the bit that bothered me most, my right hand side was considerably bigger than the left and hung down significantly more. To me it was particularly noticeable through certain clothes.

Before:

3 days after:

So far I'm happy with the results and my recovery but am trying to keep my head as I know it's only the 4th day. The bruising is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be and I've had no pain or trouble sleeping. The compression garment is tight (obviously!) but I'm used to it now. There's a bit of swelling and general soreness but it's no big deal. My right nipple looks messed up but I was prepared for that having seen similar things on here plus most of the work was on that side. I've been able to move my arms enough to try on a couple of tight t-shirts and shirts and the difference is amazing, the clothes now hang from the top of my chest rather than off my pointy nipples!

The hardest thing is the inactivity for me. Leading up to the op I was running 6 days a week and doing some toning upper body stuff on the 7th day. I'd built up to that over around 5 months but after 6-8 weeks of working out every day, I physically never felt better. Yesterday I walked/shuffled a few miles and today had a brisk 4 miles walk. I know I have to take it easy but have honestly only felt better for it. I'm hoping by 10-14 days I'll be back to a slow jog with the vest on. Weights will undoubtedly have to wait the full month at least but I'm not fussed about that.

That's all I have to report really, so far so good!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024