Author Topic: Gynecomastia confusion  (Read 1445 times)

Offline gerua01

• Posting Member
Hello, I am Gerua
I am 30 yr old 180 cm 92 kg guy(reduced from 120 in last 7 months) with lots of chest fat
I went to one of the best local hospitals, and met an endocrinologist to check for any hormonal imbalances, whether its fat or gland etc.
He inspected and told me that I have fat in my chest, and not gland, told me a couple of exercises. I was quite happy cause you know its fat, I can burn it.
Just to be sure,  I also consulted a plastic surgeon, same hospital, next day. He checked and told me that I have lost almost all fat from my chest and what I see is gland, which can be removed by excision. Told me I have bilateral gynecomastia
Later at the financial counter, I discussed cost which was around Rs 105000($1600)(surgery + medical equipment+2 day stay)
Given the experience & seniority of the plastic surgeon, I decided to go for the excision surgery, where a cut will be made around half of aerola and gland will be extracted.
Now comes the problem
I went to another plastic surgeon(yes I am skeptic), equally good, if not better, a visiting consultant in 3 separate hospitals including the one I visited
told me just after a couple of minutes of inspection that what I have here is fat, not gland and a suction assisted lipectomy will be performed.
Now I am confused as hell.
Both of them are local experts
Who should I listen to , what procedure should I go through.
What effects will I have if I choose the wrong procedure
The cost is 1/3 of the other procedure but thats not what I care about
I just want correct diagnosis and procedure
Is there an assured way to check whether I have fat or gland, you know xray or ultrasound etc
Please help
In the mean time I will go to other surgeons

Offline gerua01

• Posting Member
I earlier  posted this topic in 'Gynecomastia talk',
https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=32281.0
didn't see region, now that I have, I guess this is where it belongs..

Offline gerua01

• Posting Member
 I went to another expert and he says I have both
May I ask, whats a VASER, he says he'll use this technology to remove excess fat

also no drains will be used,
I've read a lot, most surgeries have used drains, so how important are they

Any suggestions

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The seeming confusion is not that hard to explain.  The normal condition is a mound of fat with some glandular tissue threaded through it.   Even in a woman, the breast is mostly fat.
But simply losing more weight might not make much difference at this point.  The breast is a normal place for fatty deposits, even in a male. the breasts could be still enlarged with fat when you are at an ideal weight.  The idea of targeted weight loss is not really realistic.  
What you got was differing opinions regarding the relative amounts of glandular breast tissue compared to fat.   Opinion only, not a precise measure.  The only way to tell for sure what the ratio of fatty tissue to glandular tissue really was, would be to carefully examine the material removed when the surgery is done. 
To add to the confusion, some people still attempt to rate Gynecomastia as true, being glandular tissue; or Pseudo, being all fat.  In truth either case would be exceedingly rare and for our purposed any enlargement of the male breast is called  Gynecomastia. In either case, surgery is the only way to get rid of it. 
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024