Author Topic: Finally ready  (Read 5322 times)

Offline gonnadoit

• Posting Member
  • I'm gonna do it!
Hello all,
I've been dealing with Gynecomastia for nearly 40 years and I'm finally ready to do something about it.
Is there anything I should know before I consult with a Doctor?
Are there alternatives to Lipo?
I've lined up some Doctors in NYC. Can anyone recommend a Doctor in the NYC area?
This is a big step for me, any help is appreciated.
Thanks

DrBermant

Hello all,
I've been dealing with Gynecomastia for nearly 40 years and I'm finally ready to do something about it.
Is there anything I should know before I consult with a Doctor?
Are there alternatives to Lipo?
I've lined up some Doctors in NYC. Can anyone recommend a Doctor in the NYC area?
This is a big step for me, any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Liposuction is fine for fat.  However, all forms of liposuction preferentially remove fat over gland.  When fingers of fat are between fingers of gland, liposuction alone tends to suck out the fat condensing  the gland behind making a mess.  I prefer my Dynamic Technique where liposuction is but one of many tools of my artist's pallette for surgical sculpture.  Try to go through the entire section about male chest sculpture on my site to learn what my techniques of surgery have to offer.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...

gonnadoit....

Welcome to the forum Broh....  ;)

Wow, 40 years huh?  I had it for 31 years.....

Glad to hear that you're gonna make the journey to the 'Other Side'....

John.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 02:57:43 PM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline gonnadoit

• Posting Member
  • I'm gonna do it!
Wow, your pics look like you've had great results.
I have about the same degree of gyne as you.
Were you able to return to work after a few days?
About how long did it take for the swelling to go down?
I had an SS too. 1985 Monte Carlo SS

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Wow, your pics look like you've had great results.

Yeah, I am very pleased with the results.   :D

Were you able to return to work after a few days?

I took two weeks off of work to recouperate. As I have, at times, a fairly physical job, I didn't want to take the chance of tearing the stiches or do anything that would hinder the healing process. If you have an office job, or one that doesn't require much physical activity, then you could go back to work within a few days of surgery.

About how long did it take for the swelling to go down?

It took 12 days for the swelling to go down. However, everyone heals at different rates. I have read that some guys take months for their swelling to go down.

I had an SS too.

I had a 2001 Camaro SS Convertible. Nice little toy! Would you like to see some pics of it?

John.

Offline gonnadoit

• Posting Member
  • I'm gonna do it!
2001 Camaro SS Convertible
Nice! Sure I'd like to see some pics.
Another question, did you and your Doctor discuss possible reoccurence?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Another question, did you and your Doctor discuss possible reoccurence?

No, that was never discussed. However, Dr. Bermant said that it can happen....    :o :o :o

John.

Offline Preds

• Silver Member
I think a lot of surgeons will give a free revision.  Not all but a lot.  However, anestesia and hospital charges usually still apply.  Only surgeons fee is waved.  Just something to think about.  Not taking anything away from the doc.  
Post surgery
Got my shirt off right now!!!!! lol

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
The group of Hospitals I am using (BMI - UK) have what they call a 'fee guarantee'.  Meaning that if the end result does not reach an expected outcome, then revision treatment will be offered at no extra cost to the patient.  This means the surgeon's and all hospital costs are waived.  BMI are expensive though compared to just about anywhere, so this is probably why they can afford to offer such an arrangement.  It is expensive (£3,700 GBP) but very reassuring.

Offline markashleigh1979

• I've had my final operation :)
Phantom : That is expensive........but worth it for the peace of mind and the luxury room service...lol .

Good luck with the op

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
Markashleigh

I am under no illusion that my fee is horrifically high.  I almost decided to go to Europe as you did.  But I guess I am fortunate that I am at a stage in my life where costs are not quite as prohibitive as they once were.  I admire you for going out to a country where you don't speak a word of the lingo.  That in itself was a real off-putting factor to me - but that's just cuz I am soft!

I also figured that because I am a moderate to severe case, there is an increased chance of future problems such as redundant tissue (saggy baps no less) and want to be able to whizz up and down the M6 (yeah right!) at the drop of a hat for further work should it be needed.

Offline markashleigh1979

Phantom: If i had the money instead of being a poor student , i would definately go the same route as you . One of the worst things for me was the anticipation that came with surgery abroad . But i got to that stage in my life were i was desperate , so i was willing to risk it all for sake of being boob-free . Luckily it turned out well and the surgeon and staff were all professional and freindly . I was ok with language too, as they spoke german. ... but that didn't stem the fears before i set off.

I think you price is maybe just a little more that average........i just think it's high as like i said.....i am a poor student who eats baked beans :)

Good luck mate

Offline markashleigh1979

Hi Randyt ,
If you look in the users pictures or the u.k. forum ...you will see post off me showing my 3 wk and 1 day post op pics :).....i will post pre op pics sooon as i get them from the clinic...

cheers :)

Thought i would make it easier and copy thme here for you  ;D....i am a little concerned with my my pec

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/7091/picture0014kh.jpg  

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6793/picture0023ek.jpg  

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2725/picture0039bm.jpg  

http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/6476/picture0045cj.jpg  

http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/8164/picture0050ee.jpg  

« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 03:10:48 AM by markashleigh1979 »

Offline Hypo-is-here

I took two weeks off of work to recouperate. As I have, at times, a fairly physical job, I didn't want to take the chance of tearing the stiches or do anything that would hinder the healing process. If you have an office job, or one that doesn't require much physical activity, then you could go back to work within a few days of surgery.[/b]

I find that really interesting Bambu, about recovery period I mean.

My surgery was three hours, I had four drains in for about a week- didn't get out of hospital for 5 days and would be unable to do an office job now even three weeks later.

I couldn't even get out of the hospital bed for a leak on my own for three days.

I guess it just goes to show how different gynecomastia surgery can vary.

Offline nukem2k5

• Breasts belong on women!
My surgery was three hours, I had four drains in for about a week- didn't get out of hospital for 5 days and would be unable to do an office job now even three weeks later.

I couldn't even get out of the hospital bed for a leak on my own for three days.

I guess it just goes to show how different gynecomastia surgery can vary.

I agree.  I don't think I would have been able to do jack shit just a few days after surgery.  I left my house on the 6th or 7th day post-op and just getting in and out of a car was a big ordeal.  

I suppose it varies from person and procedure, but for me it took a good 2 weeks to walk around with mild discomfort.  I didn't have anything I really needed to do, so I just relaxed in bed and let my body heal.

On a side note, my PS mentioned no sex for 2 weeks, but I only lasted about a week ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 01:50:10 PM by nukem2k5 »
Reborn on May 24, 2005
Surgery Cost: $4,040
Dr. David Metzner - New Orleans, LA
My Photos
Two Years Post-Op Photos

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024