Author Topic: Not xactly sure about massaging scar tissue -help!  (Read 3158 times)

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!
I am 3 weeks post op today, and am told to begin massaging the scars by my ps.

Does this refer to the actual incision scars around the aerola OR  - the "scar and hard tissue" of the whole chest in general?

Am I massaging the nipple area or the entire breast area, all over?

And how hard is this to be done?

Im really worried about disrupting any healing tissues...and making things potentially worse
... and the saga continues

Offline rcbrown23

Massage pretty much the whole area. Start at the nip and, in a circular motion, work your way around the whole peck. Do it quite hard, but not so hard that it hurts anything. Maybe start with a light touch, and in the next 2-3 weeks, work your way up to pretty firm massaging. You'll know if it's too hard, just listen to your body.

Feeling any better about the results, yet??

« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 09:03:00 AM by rcbrown23 »

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!
Thanks mate..

And when do you think is the right time approx. to start doing massage? I'm at 22 days post-op now, but I have read things on Dr Bermants site and other places about "putting stress on healing tissues", and also waiting 6 weeks before "deep"massage etc.

Is this generally the rule of thumb or is it different for everyone?

Umm.. still wearing the vest full-time  , and Not too sure how I feel about my chest yet.. I guess It is a definite improvement, but I kinda envisaged that it would be flatter still, and less like a chest that looks like its experienced a lot of benchpress , when it hasnt

cheers

Offline rcbrown23

Thanks mate..

And when do you think is the right time approx. to start doing massage? I'm at 22 days post-op now, but I have read things on Dr Bermants site and other places about "putting stress on healing tissues", and also waiting 6 weeks before "deep"massage etc.

Is this generally the rule of thumb or is it different for everyone?

cheers

I would say that a lot depends on the operation you had/how much trauma your chest went through. You should be able to tell when your ready. If you feel that your chest has healed up and everything is along the recovery process, then start massaging. If you still feel that the tissue is still finding it's new home, then wait another couple of weeks.

It's probably OK to start light massage at 22 days, but again, listen to your body. It won't hurt anything if you wait another week or two to start, either.

"Deep Massage"---Yeah, work your way up to that. Week 6-8 sounds about right.

-Brown

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!
cheers Brown

I reckon I'll probably wait another 2 weeks. If it can wait with no consequences than I may as well wait rather than disturb or upset new forming tissues.

However my nipple incisions still have that scabby "dried-blood" look about them, which makes me think its prob still early days here anyway`

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024