Author Topic: 19 year old athlete  (Read 1986 times)

Offline football2122

Hi everyone, I am a 19 year old college football player.  I have recently been diagnosed with gynecomastia on my left breast and it has become quite uncomfortable to the touch (if someone bumps into it).  I have been training since high school and I do take weight gaining supplements such as creatine but no steroids.  I also have acid reflux so i take nexium daily (have taken acifex and prevacid).  With the offseason coming to life, I will be required to train on a daily basis at a high intensity.  I do not want to have this lump when i return to the field in august, but I do not know how it will affect my training.  FYI I return home from school in May for summer.  Does anyone have any information for me on this and opinions when i possibly should receive my surgery (I have already met with the surgeon we just have to plan a date)?

Offline JamesDawson

• Bronze Member
Schedule your surgery for when you come home from School in May, you will have healed by the time training starts and won't have a problem getting back into training.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I have seen cases similar to yours.

The cause may be idiopathic (ie unknown) or it may have been secondary to the supplements you took (you may not know everything that was in the supplement) or as a side effect of the anti-acids that you took.

Best to discuss these things with your surgeon.

Agree with Jim Dawson -- if indeed surgery is in the offing, then get it done as soon as possible so that you can return to training in August.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024