Author Topic: Interesting occurence  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Blarneystoner

• Gyne sucks
Is it just me or have more people been finally getting surgery latley?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 02:29:22 PM by Blarneystoner »
Please, Jesus, make my gyne go away!

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
If my information is correct, Lipsuction was first introduced in Italy about 1975.  It did not make it to the U.S. until about 1985 except as an experimental procedure.  There was another period of time elapsed while they figured out how to utilize this new procedure, and for what purposes.  Individual surgeons developed their own methods and combinations of liposuction with excision.  

I think it is safe to say that Male Breast reduction, as it is now done, has only been around for about 10-15 years.

Gynecomastia is quite common, and usually harmless physically.  Which is why Medical Insurance Companies almost routinely refuse to pay for it.  To the Insurors, the procedure is purely cosmetic in most cases.

The problem is not what is on the young man's chest, but what is going on between his ears.  Embarassment, shame and withdrawal from socialization are common in young men with obvious breast enlargement.  Clearly, surgery should be available to those with such effects but it is often difficult to convince the Insurance Companies.

Conversely, the self image of some young men is such that they find serious fault with any hint of breast or nipple prominence.  Some of these men are obsessive about their breasts and have an unrealistic idea of what the surgery will do for them. Surgery in some of these cases may well be of little or no value.

I am old enough that the surgery was not available to me and I had to learn to cope with gynecomastia. Now the surgery is common.  That is one hell of an increase; Though that took place over a long period of time.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Graham,

I suspect that it goes both ways.  I'm sure that there are people who first decided about surgery after visiting here. And, Equally sure that there are some who, after visiting here and learning that they are not alone nor as unusual as the initially thought, decided that they could cope with it.  

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024