Author Topic: Post-op. How normal?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline helio

• Posting Member
Hi everyone this is my first post  :o

I'm really glad to see a forum like this. It's pretty comforting. I really want to get surgery but am afraid of the results. I see everywhere "Have realistic expectations".

What does that mean exactly?

Can anyone who has had surgery let me know? I am just wondering if it would look normal afterwards.

also,

I know the healing process is suppose to be around 4 weeks but after that is everything normal? Could I lift weights and not have any problems if my chest muscle mass increases?

Would I be able to jump around really crazy like without anything wierd happening?

I'm in a local metalcore band and we play some pretty crazy stuff and I have to be able to move around a lot lol. I am the only guy in the band that can't take his shirt off when it gets too hot.. I just feel like a total jackass..

I'm just afraid of doing something crazy with my shirt off afterwards and my boob opening back up  :o lol.

Sorry for the long post! I appreciate any feedback! Thanks guys---

P.S.

This may be in the wrong section and if so I am very sorry. First timer  :-/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 09:20:21 PM by helio »

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
What is normal?  There is no such thing.  It is very, very down to personal perception.  What you can do is learn as much about the surgical procedures available, the surgeons that perform male chest reduction/sculptor, speak with as many guys as possible that have had the surgery and look at as many before and after pictures you can find, both on here and at initial consultation with surgeons you are considering.

Here's a joke, "What's the difference between God and a Doctor? God does not think he is a Doctor!"  Seriously, no right minded surgeon can guarantee making your chest look exactly how you want it.  It's like getting a new hair style, you know how you'd like your hair to look, your hair stylist thinks they know how you want your hair to look.  But no two hairstylists are the same.  Different hairstylists have different perceptions, methods and skills.  Is this making sense?

All a good surgeon can do is move you from where you are to as close as possible to where you want to be.  It's impossible to say what is and what is not a good result.  However, I would say that you should be aiming for at least a 50% improvement in your condition.  I had surgery two months go and I estimate my condition being about 70% better.  I will be going back to my surgeon in a few weeks time to discuss the result and decide if further work is indicated.  I am happier than I was before the surgery - he's done a great job.  If it can be improved upon, then I will seek to have further work.  If revision is not indicated, then I will live with that - it's not the end of the world.

As for healing, on the whole, the initial bruising should have gone by week four.  It is often at this time guys can  start to work out again, taking it very easy.  You probably won't be back to where you were for at least another two-three weeks after that, so expect to wait up to a couple of months.

Even after two months, whilst most of the physical change will be apparent, things will continue to settle and change for anything up to 12 months.  Each and every patient is different.  There are two people you need to listen to about how physical you can be post op - firstly your surgeon - what he or she says goes!  After that, your own body.  If any kind of physical activity causes you any pain or discomfort, STOP and give you body additional rest for a few more days.

Hope that helps.

Offline Hypo-is-here

Helio listen to Phantom all the above is good info.

All I will add is, recovery times vary significantly and depend upon the individual, extent of surgery and surgeon.

So there can be no guarentee of recovery time only typical recovery times.

As for your concerns regarding your band;

I think this is something where you have to ask yourself about priorities!

What is more important having this operation and allowing for the correct recuperation period or playing in your band for x number of weeks?

If your band are remotely good and care/respect what you bring to it at all they will still be there when you get back.

Offline helio

• Posting Member
Thanks a lot for the info guys. I really appreciate it.

I see what you mean about the hairstylist point of view. I guess there really is no way at all I can expect exactly what I want because that just isn't realistic.. hence "realistic expectations".

Awesome analogy, thanks again, both of you.

Offline STILLgotIT

• Gold Member
  • Finally gyne-free
Helio, a lot will depend upon what your condition consists of.

Do you have a large, flubbery fat chest? Or, does everything look "normal" except for puffy nipples?

I had a decent amount of fatty tissue and moderately puffy nips. After my 1st surgery it looked a lot better, but my nips were still puffy. I wasn't happy with that.

After a 2nd surgery it now looks totally perfect. And, I have a pretty critical eye. A lot will depend upon your circumstances and who does the procedure.  Make sure you choose the right doc and don't let $$ be the determining factor on who you choose.

I know what you mean about not taking the shirt off. Even when I was in fantastic shape I still wouldn't take my shirt off. Now, I can't wait for summer to enjoy my "1st uninhibited shirtless summer" since I was probably 10 years old.

I debated on whether to get the 2nd surgery (it was free) or if I should just "learn to live with it and not be so vain."

I decided that, regardless of how noble I wanted to be, my gyne would have ALWAYS bothered me until the day I died. Therefore, I decided to just deal with it now. I almost backed out the day before surgery. I didn't want to go through the healing process and all of that again. But, I reasoned within myself that the next month or two is going to come and go and I can either be free of gyne at the end of it or I can still be dealing with it. I decided to be rid of it and I'm so glad I did.

I'm now 3 weeks post op and I'm fully back to all activities. Granted, this last op was only excision, no lipo as I am not fat.

Go for it, bro. IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE IN SO MANY WAYS!!!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024