Author Topic: Help with this whey protein  (Read 6163 times)

Offline Copespo

• Gold Member
I have about 4lb of muscle milk on my kitchen desk but I lost lots of weight and I just returned back home from vacation, I havent worked out for 2 months. I did push ups and stuff but no weight. I dont want to continue using muscle milk since I think that was the cause of me gaining an extra 5lb. Its too sweet, too many calories and too much fat. So I read around and found that Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein is the best and looking at the nutrition box its contains much less calories/fat/sugar. I was just wondering if any of the other things on the list below could contribute to hormone imbalance or gyne expansion, etc u get the point.

Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptides), Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Natural and Artificial Flavor, Lecithin, Aminogen, lactase, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium

Here is the Link for the protein on the GNC site.
http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3017367&cp=&sr=1&kw=100+whey+protein&origkw=100%25+Whey+Protein&pg=4&parentPage=search

If you have a suggestion as far as protein please let me know...thank you!
Lose 10 (kg) by August... Achieved
Lose 5 (kg) by Mid-September.....Achieved
Gain 20 (lb) in Muscle by December.......Achieved, Gained 24lb in Muscle
Gynecomastia Consultation October 17, 08......Complete

Surgery Completed January 8th, 2009 with Dr. Elliot Jacobs in NYC!

Offline Clandestine

• Bronze Member
It looks to me like Muscle Milk is half way between a protein suplement and a weight gainer. It has a decent amount of protein, but much more fat and carbs than whey alone. Fine if you plan on gaining weight, or factor the extra Kcal from fat and carbs into your diet.

The protein powder you link to looks ok. Beware of the marketing hype (ie bull sh1t) at the bottom of the page saying how it's better than any other on the market and has "magic" ingredients. For example ALL whey, be it bulk bought or otherwise contains Microfractions. The amino acid profile will vary a little depending on the dairy it's from and the spacific batch too.

As a general guide:

Whey protein concentrate: 75%-80% protein, creamy taste when unflavored, tastes ok in milk, tolerable in water.
Whey protein Isolate: 90%-95% protein, tastes nasty unflavored, may make you barf in water, tolerable in milk.

If you want pure protein and nothing else, find a good website that suplies quality whey, and go for the unflavored concentrate. Take it in water when you wake and after training and in milk at other times. Try and eat real food if possible, whey is for a super quick absorption after a weights/cardio session and when you've been asleep and had nothing to eat for 8+ hours.

Offline Copespo

• Gold Member
It looks to me like Muscle Milk is half way between a protein suplement and a weight gainer. It has a decent amount of protein, but much more fat and carbs than whey alone. Fine if you plan on gaining weight, or factor the extra Kcal from fat and carbs into your diet.

The protein powder you link to looks ok. Beware of the marketing hype (ie bull sh1t) at the bottom of the page saying how it's better than any other on the market and has "magic" ingredients. For example ALL whey, be it bulk bought or otherwise contains Microfractions. The amino acid profile will vary a little depending on the dairy it's from and the spacific batch too.

As a general guide:

Whey protein concentrate: 75%-80% protein, creamy taste when unflavored, tastes ok in milk, tolerable in water.
Whey protein Isolate: 90%-95% protein, tastes nasty unflavored, may make you barf in water, tolerable in milk.

If you want pure protein and nothing else, find a good website that suplies quality whey, and go for the unflavored concentrate. Take it in water when you wake and after training and in milk at other times. Try and eat real food if possible, whey is for a super quick absorption after a weights/cardio session and when you've been asleep and had nothing to eat for 8+ hours.

Thank for the reply....I defiantly will look into ordering isolate whey but since I need to get back to working out ASAP, I need to make a quick decision for a new protein. It seems like you know more then me about them so I was wondering if you think the one I picked is a good choice for now? Or do you think there is a better option on the web site. I was gonna work out today but since I don't have whey I wont, today I am gonna do cardio and some push ups and then tomorrow once I buy the whey its back to lifting weights.

Offline Clandestine

• Bronze Member
The protein you listed seems good. Translating the price from $ to £ makes it a good deal price wise in England for a branded, flavored whey powder.

Bulk supplies over here cheap as chips, just paid £35 for 5 KG of unflavored 80% concentrate. Due to the favorable exchange rate, US whey looks mighty cheep, but I guess its proportionate to average income. Heck, if $4 for a gallon of petrol (gas) sounds alot, we're paying the equivalent  of $10 per US gallon  :'(

I wouldn't wory too much about not lifting bud, just have a good meal straight after. I ran out of whey ~a week ago (just re-ordered) and I've carried on loosing fat and gaining muscle at the same time  ;D I love starting weight training after a long long break, it makes any thing possible, even the "loose fat AND gain muscle" effect.

Offline Copespo

• Gold Member
The protein you listed seems good. Translating the price from $ to £ makes it a good deal price wise in England for a branded, flavored whey powder.

Bulk supplies over here cheap as chips, just paid £35 for 5 KG of unflavored 80% concentrate. Due to the favorable exchange rate, US whey looks mighty cheep, but I guess its proportionate to average income. Heck, if $4 for a gallon of petrol (gas) sounds alot, we're paying the equivalent  of $10 per US gallon  :'(

I wouldn't wory too much about not lifting bud, just have a good meal straight after. I ran out of whey ~a week ago (just re-ordered) and I've carried on loosing fat and gaining muscle at the same time  ;D I love starting weight training after a long long break, it makes any thing possible, even the "loose fat AND gain muscle" effect.

thanks for the help mate, I still think protein supplements are overpriced here in the US. Sometimes its more because of the package design, sounds like bs but if you compare some supplements they are almost the same but one will be more because of its brand or packaging.

I just came back from some jogging and boxing training, for some reason I only lasted 40 mins in total, this could be from the fact that I just came back from Europe. Been over there for 2 months and got used to the time....I would of been sleeping if I was there now so I guess I have to adjust to the new time again. I did some boxing traning for 20 minutes and I was about to fall asleep. Last night I barely did 50 crunches, while just 4 days ago while I was still in europe I did over 300, Targeting lower and upper abs.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024