Author Topic: Alcoholism and Gyne  (Read 4315 times)

Offline cricardo

• Posting Member
I'm a pretty heavy drinker, I drink everyday. Was wondering how this would contribute to my gyne. I don't think it does since I have had it since I was very young. I also had torsion of the testicle when I was younger, and I read somewhere that this contributes to the gyne. However, I have gyne ever since I can remember, well before the torsion or obviously the alcohol. Can I be pretty confidant that this is not contributing to the gyne, and I should go ahead with the surgery?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline jimbob1988

• Bronze Member
Surgery is the only way .... they will tell you to lay of the drink though, a while before the operation.

I'm pretty sure that Smoking Weed (I belive anyway) when your going through puberty can contribute towards developing Gyn, I wouldent of thought Drink would have anything to do with it ... although Alchol does increase the production of Estrogen (the female hormone).

Offline george1977

• Posting Member
If you're an alcoholic, Gynecomastia is the LEAST of your problems. I seriously doubt any U.S surgeon would operate on you due to complications with bleeding. Check yourself into rehab, sober up, then think of surgery with a clear head.

Offline womanboob

• Bronze Member
  • Getting in shape, then surgery.
I "accidently" ended up in alcohol detox/rehab because I was at the wrong place at the wrong time, and I can tell you its the most annoying place to be in. There are a bunch of crack heads, crack whores and druggies that the police send there instead of sending to jail because the jails are crowded and even though most of these people do get sober it just makes them annoying/pain in the ass. Everyone tries to be "helpful" and you get all these alcoholics trying to mentor you and do what they can to "impress" the staff so they can get out and drink again...unless you find a civilized (rare) detox clinic I'd avoid going there convincing yourself is what you have to do anyway.
Lose 18 lbs FAT by October (12 so far)

Offline cricardo

• Posting Member
Well, I wouldn't say it is a problem. I don't drink constantly throughout the day, just usually take a few drinks at night, and I can go without drinking for an extending period of time. Just wondering if it had anything to do with the gyne.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I goes like this:

We have, and need, Both Estrogen and Testosterone. It is the balance between the two which is important.

Normally, Estrogen is disposed of by the Liver. So that the level of Estrogen does not become excessive.

Liver disease, is one of the recognized causes of Gynecomastia. Anything that might cause any impairment of Liver function could, indirectly, cause Gynecomastia. Alcohol is highly toxic to the liver and also to the testes.

I do not believe that occasional social drinking or having a glass of wine with dinner etc. would be a problem. Drinking would be a problem when you drink to the point of intoxication. Even an occasional binge could be problematic since it would simultaneously cause the Testosterone to fall while allowing the Estrogen level to rise. After a weekend binge, it may take several days for the hormone levels to normalize.

Obviously this does not have the same effect on everyone, we are individuals. Some people drink heavily and do not have any breast growth while other people are more sensitive to these changes. If you are a person who has a tendency to have breast growth, it would be best to play it safe and leave the booze alone or curtail its use well short of intoxication.
Grandpa Dan

Offline tttdone

• Bronze Member
I goes like this:

We have, and need, Both Estrogen and Testosterone. It is the balance between the two which is important.

Normally, Estrogen is disposed of by the Liver. So that the level of Estrogen does not become excessive.

Liver disease, is one of the recognized causes of Gynecomastia. Anything that might cause any impairment of Liver function could, indirectly, cause Gynecomastia. Alcohol is highly toxic to the liver and also to the testes.

I do not believe that occasional social drinking or having a glass of wine with dinner etc. would be a problem. Drinking would be a problem when you drink to the point of intoxication. Even an occasional binge could be problematic since it would simultaneously cause the Testosterone to fall while allowing the Estrogen level to rise. After a weekend binge, it may take several days for the hormone levels to normalize.

Obviously this does not have the same effect on everyone, we are individuals. Some people drink heavily and do not have any breast growth while other people are more sensitive to these changes. If you are a person who has a tendency to have breast growth, it would be best to play it safe and leave the booze alone or curtail its use well short of intoxication.

Is there any medicine you can take that blocks estrogen receptors? I heard Nolvadex but i'm not sure. Would it be better to take something like that along with alchohol rather than just drinking alchohol alone???
Surgery on 8/20/2008

Offline Clandestine

• Bronze Member
No way! Nolvadex is a prescription medicine which itself is liver toxic. Combining the two would be extremely foolish.

Nolvadex also has a slew of side effects itself, including vision problems and the forementioned toxicity. It's used as a breast cancer control/prevention agent in women but can ironically increase the risk of developing other cancers, such as in the cervix for example.

It#s extremely unlikely you'll start to develop gyne or have your condition worsen by getting sh1t faced once in a while. Just don't do it too often.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
It is unwise to combine any prescription drug with alcohol.

At the best, the drug becomes unreliable. At the worst, the drugs effect is either neutralized or exaggerated.

Offline Doomed

• Posting Member
Excessive alcohol consumption can definitely be a cause of gynecomastia.  You will see this listed on many sites regarding causes of gynecomastia.  I can't remember off hand exactly how, but it has to do with the alcohol and its effects on your hormones.  Excessive is likely defined as drinking everyday.

Surgery may be discouraged for obese men, or for overweight men who have not first attempted to correct the problem with exercise or weight loss. Also, individuals who drink alcohol beverages in excess or smoke marijuana are usually not considered good candidates for surgery. These drugs, along with anabolic steroids, may cause gynecomastia. Therefore, patients are first directed to stop the use of these drugs to see if the breast fullness will diminish before surgery is considered an option.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/plasticsurgery/gynecomastia.htm
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 12:58:29 AM by Doomed »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024