Author Topic: How long usually do they keep stitches in?  (Read 3797 times)

Offline latediagnosis

• Silver Member
I'm getting surgery on the 22nd and I'm wondering how long roughly the stitches stay in, I will be able to ask my surgeon on the 22nd but I want to know now for peace of mind. The reason I ask this, is because my vest arrived a few days ago and is comfortable but it has these adjustable shoulder straps at the top which are revealing unless I wear a 4XL t-shirt or a large sweater. This is a problem as its approaching summer in australia and I sweat very easily.

As I understand, you cant lift your arms very high above your head with the stitches and it would be very hard to put on a tight vest with no zips. So my solution is to either wear my underworks garment or buy an under armor heat gear garment and use these a week or two after the surgery (wear the real garment for the first 1-2 weeks).

Also how long do people usually wear the vest for? I'm only getting gland removed by a reputable surgeon.

Offline latediagnosis

• Silver Member
I'm getting surgery on the 22nd and I'm wondering how long roughly the stitches stay in, I will be able to ask my surgeon on the 22nd but I want to know now for peace of mind. The reason I ask this, is because my vest arrived a few days ago and is comfortable but it has these adjustable shoulder straps at the top which are revealing unless I wear a 4XL t-shirt or a large sweater. This is a problem as its approaching summer in australia and I sweat very easily.

As I understand, you cant lift your arms very high above your head with the stitches and it would be very hard to put on a tight vest with no zips. So my solution is to either wear my underworks garment or buy an under armor heat gear garment and use these a week or two after the surgery (wear the real garment for the first 1-2 weeks).

Also how long do people usually wear the vest for? I'm only getting gland removed by a reputable surgeon.

Going to answer my own questions after doing some searches which I should have done before posting this..

Stitches usually last 10-20 days depending on what kind of stitches and technique your surgeon uses, permanent, dissolving etc. It is best to use a surgical grade vest for the first month at least as the compression on under armor and other garments is usually not as good and it does not keep its initial tightness, the surgical compression vests are in a league of their own.

So basically I paid $110 for a stupid vest with shoulder straps, which is not discrete unless you're wearing something massive over the top its too late to get a new vest aswell :( I might tell my surgeon to reconsider where they tell their patients to purchase their vests.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024