Author Topic: AskMen.com article on Gynecomastia  (Read 4277 times)

Offline LLTrain

• Posting Member
Hey guys, I found this article today from a site I'm very fond of. Before I had my surgery, I was always skeptical of this site concerning its chest workouts because they seemed to all involve men who were just out of shape. I have to admit, although I've already had the surgery, it was very reassuring to see this article on a site aimed towards men...because, after all, that's what we are!

Here is the link:
http://www.askmen.com/sports/health_200/228_mens_health.html

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
A good impartial article, Thanks for the referral.

I think that the emphasis on physical conditioning is somewhat overstressed but otherwise it is quite good.
Weight loss and physical condition will not reduce Gynecomastia, But for the best surgical outcome the person should present themselves to the surgeon in the best condition resonable.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Thanks for the link LTrain...

Yeah, excellent article! Abigail Ekue-Smith got the majority of her info from this site. ;)

However, she mentioned 'Psuedo-Gynecomastia'. IMO, there is no such thing. You either have gyne or you don't regardless of the gland/fat tissue content... The word Gynecomastia is derived from Gyne (Women) and the Greek, Mastos (Breasts)....  Woman-'like'-Breasts... If one's chest has taken on a female breast appearance, then they have Gynecomastia.

The following is from the Mirriam-Webster online dictionary...

Main Entry:
    gy·neco·mas·tia Listen to the pronunciation of gynecomastia
Pronunciation:
    \ˌgī-nə-kō-ˈmas-tē-ə\
Function:
    noun
Etymology:
    New Latin, from gynec- + Greek mastos breast + New Latin -ia
Date:

: excessive development of the breast in the male

I do not see any such reference in that definition that Gynecomastia is limited to glandular tissue only! 'Excessive development of the breast' includes the whole breast, glandular and adipose tissue. 'Pseudo-Gynecomastia' is something that someone has 'contrived' along the way.

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
i dunno, pseudo's still a useful term.  there's enough guys around with just excess fat that it creates the illusion of gyne that would just go away once the weight was lost.  yeah, pretty good general article. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
HHH...

Pseudo means 'fake' or 'false'. Therefore large Gynecomastia that is mainly made up of adipose tissue is not Gynecomastia at all? Naw I don't agree with that. C'mon dude, you've read enough posts here to know that weight loss will not get rid of Gynecomastia. Sure, it will be smaller to an extent, but the majority still remains...

GB

Offline Ryuuk

• Posting Member
Gynecomastia is just a word.. a label. So many of the men here do not have what I would call Gynecomastia because they do not have womanly like breast development at all, they simply have puffy nipples that they are self conscious about. So they label themselves with the word.

However if you were to define that a prerequisite of Gynecomastia was an over development of the GLAND in a male then yes, having excessive chest fat from eating too much would be false Gynecomastia and puffy nipples would be Gynecomastia.

But then you have to define just how puffy and large a gland is before it is deemed abnormally large.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 12:08:26 AM by Ryuuk »

Offline Hope

• Silver Member
A very informative article, especially for someone like me who still has gyne.

I dont think I have read or seen anyone that has a severe case Pseudo gyne and has successfully riod of them completely thanks to excercise... I could be wrong.
*Gyne free thanks to Mr Levick on  April 9th 2009*

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
Pseudo means 'fake' or 'false'. Therefore large Gynecomastia that is mainly made up of adipose tissue is not Gynecomastia at all? Naw I don't agree with that. C'mon dude, you've read enough posts here to know that weight loss will not get rid of Gynecomastia. Sure, it will be smaller to an extent, but the majority still remains...
i've not only read it, i've said it myself many times.  since we know pseudo means false, i understand pseudogyne to be not large adipose-heavy true gyne, but fat excess that leads to a false impression of true gyne.  therefore with weight loss, pseudo disappears, gyne doesn't.  that's why i believe the term pseudogyne's useful, it distinguishes from the real thing. 

Offline BMB65

• Posting Member
Hey guys, I found this article today from a site I'm very fond of. Before I had my surgery, I was always skeptical of this site concerning its chest workouts because they seemed to all involve men who were just out of shape. I have to admit, although I've already had the surgery, it was very reassuring to see this article on a site aimed towards men...because, after all, that's what we are!

Here is the link:
http://www.askmen.com/sports/health_200/228_mens_health.html

i read your comment on the page of the article ....i feel the same way about the winter thing and not being able to wait for warmer weather ....its motivating me to hit the gym harder than before so i could get ready for the summer .....

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024