Author Topic: Help for my son  (Read 2653 times)

Offline patrick5448

Hi, My son is 20, about 5'11" and about 250, he definitely has gynecomastia. I want to know if i should suggest him seeing an endocrinologist or a plastic surgeon. I know this is hindering him from putting himself out there, and my heart breaks for him, as you could imagine. please help ! Mom

Offline trojan213

• Bronze Member
Maybe you could suggest it to your primary physician and have him/her talk to your son about seeing an endocrinologist.

Cheers.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
My first inclination would be to suggest an Endocrinologist.

On the other hand, if the condition developed in early puberty (about age 12) and has been stable for at least 2 years; it is not very likely that the Endocrinologist is going to do him a lot of good.

You may be sure that you will have some responses that urge weight loss. Obesity is often associated with overly developed breasts in men. It would be a disservice to your son to suspect that this is the only possible cause of his breast enlargement.

If the condition has been stable for 2 or more years, you may save a few steps and go directly to a cosmetic surgeon. Don't be too surprised if the surgeon desires or even requires some weight loss prior to surgery.

Almost any well qualified surgeon is going to want to do a full evaluation of your son's health. If there are indications of a glandular problem, the surgeon would likely refer you and your son to an Endocrinologist prior to surgery.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Certainly an evaluation by an endocrinologist is valid -- but be prepared for it to show no significant abnormalities.

Perhaps the more important concern is his overweight.  Obesity itself deposits fat on the chest to enlarge the breasts.  In addition, there are chemical changes induced by the fat cells which promote estrogen production, which in turn makes the gland tissue grow as well.  So obesity is a double whammy.

The best course of action (assuming his endo workup is normal) is for him to lose roughly 50 lbs or even more.  That would certainly reduce the size of his breasts somewhat and make him more comfortable in his clothing.  He would also be healthier.  Then a consult with a plastic surgeon would be advisable in learning how to deal with the remaining breast tissue and (presumably) lax skin.

On the other hand, oftentimes overweight guys are reluctant to go to a gym because of embarrassment. This is then a catch-22 situation.  When I have encountered patients with this type of situation, I may offer surgery to reduce the size of the breasts with minimal scars.  This is done with the full knowledge that the breasts will only be made smaller -- and that it will not produce a taut, contoured masculine chest.  Then the guy can go to the gym without embarrassment, watch his diet, and lose weight to a more appropriate level.  At that time, further evaluation with a plastic surgeon can determine if any additional skin tightening procedure is indicated.

In sum:  if the endo workup is normal, then a consult with a knowledgeable and experienced gynecomastia surgeon may help in determining your course of action.  Realize that a consult with a plastic surgeon may not mean surgery -- just sound advice.

Best of luck!!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Hi, My son is 20, about 5'11" and about 250, he definitely has gynecomastia. I want to know if i should suggest him seeing an endocrinologist or a plastic surgeon. I know this is hindering him from putting himself out there, and my heart breaks for him, as you could imagine. please help ! Mom

Choice of doctor depends on many factors. Which gynecomastia patients should seen by an Endocrinologist has been an issue that a series of Endocrinologists and myself had worked on for years. We evolved a Red Flag system of Gynecomastia Symptoms.  This methodology was received well during my invited Gynecomastia lecture at a recent American Association Of Clinical Endocrinologists national meeting.  The goal is to select which patients would benefit by that evaluation. I never discourage a patient seeking an Endocrinologist's advice. Some overweight conditions have an endocrine origin that need to be stabilized before that person can effectively lose weight.

However, the waiting time to see an Endocrinologist can be extended. Not all endocrinologists prefer evaluating gynecomastia.  We work with several endocrinologists here in the United States for our patients who schedule them in a timely fashion. A few of these doctors have adopted variations of our Preliminary Remote Discussion to minimize travel and to offer second opinions for those with complex endocrinology problems.

Seeing a Plastic Surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia is one way to go, but be careful of the "quick fix" mentality that can profit a doctor and leave unaddressed problems. Look for before and after examples of that specific doctor's early surgery to determine if that is a desired option. Videos on how the tissues bounce after early surgery are particularly revealing as to the compromise of the results.

Have you checked your son's Body Mass Index with a BMI Calculator?  By definition you are almost obese at the high range of overweight. BMI does not differentiate between fat, muscle, and bone.  Body Fat Calculators can help with the fat percentage and are better at helping define the fat component.

5'11" at 250 results in a BMI of 34.9 which is the highest in the Obese category, almost Severely Obese.

Plastic Surgery is not an alternative to losing weight.  With surgery, a fat person will still look like a fat person, just one with smaller breasts.

Have you ever seen a Sumo wrestler without breasts? The problem is that Male Fat Pattern extends around the chest, under the arms, and around the back.  Plastic Surgery is not a good tool for a global fat problem.

I advise my patients to get to a weight / body fat percentage they are comfortable with before considering surgery. 

Weight Loss Before Gynecomastia Surgery can help with the fat, but not the gland.  However, you cannot pick where your fat comes from. Plastic Surgery is also not a good jump start tool for weight loss.  I have seen disasters from patients from other doctors with deformities from significant weight loss after their surgery.  Men tend to put fat on first in the belly and chest bands.  We tend to take of those areas last.  Early surgery and depending on weight loss to predictably change the body is a nasty gamble.  No Surgery Body Shaping Garments are a better temporizing choice. Take some time to look at what those garments have to offer, in particular look at the video. It has been amazing looking at the expressions on my patients' faces after trying on one of these garments. I call these heavy duty compression garments an emotional band-aide. They certainly are much less invasive than "motivational" or "jump start" surgery that may burn bridges and costs a great deal more. 

As a surgical sculptor, I view weight loss as a coarse tool and my plastic surgery as a refinement tool.  I prefer to use the coarse tool first, and then my sculpture for refinement. Use of a refinement tool first, then the coarse tool of weight loss, and then the refinement tool again can be quite expensive.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024