Author Topic: My experience with Dr. Miguel Delgado - With pics  (Read 10710 times)

Offline nitrox987

• Bronze Member
Introduction
As most of the guys here, I started developing gynecomastia during puberty, probably around 12 and have been very uncomfortable with my chest ever since.
At the time I didn't know it was a common condition and I thought I had some kind of malformation nobody had. I couldn't talk about it to anybody and would avoid exposing my chest at all cost.
At 18 during a physical exam, even though I didn't bring it up, the doc noticed the gyne and told me "you have gynecomastia" pointing at my chest. I was very embarrassed but at least I had now a name to put on this thing.
I was not really convinced by the few before and after pictures I saw online at the time and was scared to death by surgery so I decided to just wait and hope that it would go away but guess what? it never did.
At 32, after the birth of my son, among other things I realized I would probably never go to the pool with him because of gyne. For this reason and also all the accumulated frustrations over the years I decided to finally do something about my gyne.

Consultation
I really wanted the surgery to be a one shot deal; getting surgery was not an easy decision and having a revision surgery or dealing with a poor result was the last thing I wanted.
After looking online and reading everything I could, I decided to schedule a consultation with Dr. Delgado because he was/is a very experienced gyne surgeon and happened to be in the SF bay area.
I was very nervous the day of the consultation but Dr. Delgado and his staff made it a better experience than what I thought it would be.
Dr. Delgado was very nice and knew how to put me at ease. He took the time to listen to me, examine me, explain me in details what the procedure would be and answer every single question. He then showed me 3 big binders with before and after pictures of people with very mild to extreme case of gynecomastia.
After he made sure he had answered all my questions, I was given a quote and I didn't feel pressured in any way to schedule my surgery.
I was quoted at $7500 total which included everything (Dr. Delgado’s fee, the anesthesiologist’s fee, hospital fee, vitamins and 2 vests).
After the consultation, I felt very confident with Dr. Delgado, I knew he was the surgeon for me and few days after I decided to schedule my surgery.

Surgery
After arriving at the surgical facility in Novato, I met with the anesthesiologist Dr. Gaynor who was very nice. He reviewed again my medical history with me and explained what would happen.
For some reasons I was really concerned by the anesthesia probably because I never had any surgery before. I told Dr. Gaynor I was nervous and he was great with me, he explained me exactly what he would do and made everything he could to reassure me. After he put the IV, he gave me some relaxing medicine, it was pretty much like after having a couple beers, I felt much more relax and I remember walking to the OR and feeling OK. After that I guess he gave me something stronger and the next thing I remember is waking up with the vest on with a nurse taking care of me.
Dr. Delgado came visit me and told me everything went well, I felt really relieved.
I couldn't feel any pain and after an hour or so I was sent home.
During the night after surgery my left chest became more swollen than my right. I called Dr. Delgado and he told me to come right away so he could check it out. It turned out to be an hematoma and Dr. Delgado decided to drain it the same day.
Hematomas are a possible complication of gyne surgery and every surgeon has to deal with them every now and then. Dr. Delgado was very responsive in my case and I really appreciated it.

Recovery
I didn't really experience pain after surgery but there is definitely some discomfort the first few days. You can't move the way you would want to, especially with the drains.
My drains were removed after 4 days and contrary to what I had read, it was a painless experience for me. I also got to see my chest for the first time and although there was some swelling and bruising the contour looked good and I was really happy.
Without the drains my mobility was greatly improved and after a week or so I felt pretty much like normal.
Dr Delgado recommended wearing the vest during 6 weeks and to not exercise for 4 weeks. The vest was not really an issue, it was actually fairly comfortable and I was not too bothered by it. Not exercising was probably the hardest part for me but I didn't want to take any chance so I waited 5 weeks to play tennis. I felt great when I played and I didn't experience any pain or whatsoever.
From 6 weeks on I stopped wearing the vest and resumed all my activities with no problem.

Pictures
Here are my before and after pictures (9 months post op). I would be curious to know what you guys think so please do not hesitate to comment. Personally I am extremely satisfied, I think I look just like I should have in the first place. If you're wondering where the lipo/drains scars are, they are high up in my armpits which makes them virtually invisible.
I don't have any picture with my arms over my head or when flexing but it just looks natural no matter what I do.

Advices
If your life is affected by gyne like mine was you should definitely consider surgery, it will be a life changing experience.
I would of course highly recommend Dr. Delgado as a surgeon given how positive my experience with him and his staff was.
Please make sure whoever you choose is an experienced gyne surgeon who can show you more than one or two before and after pictures. I have read too many stories on this board of people needing a revision because they chose an inexperienced surgeon. Get it done right the first time and get the best possible result.
If you have any question, I would be more than happy to help so please feel free to ask.

Conclusion
I had my surgery 9 months ago and I can't believe how much it changed my life. I have spent my first summer in 20 years without thinking about my chest and not trying to hide my gyne.
I went to the pool with my son several times, went to the beach and took my shirt off, wore shirts I would have never worn before. It even improved my tennis game probably because I just don't think about my chest anymore when playing.
It was definitely a life changing experience for me.
Thank you Dr. Delgado!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 03:07:37 AM by nitrox987 »

Offline cms5402

• Posting Member
I'm so happy for you!  You have such a great result.  Totally naturally looking, no visible scar tissue.  I have my surgery a week from Thursday... My case is on the milder end -- puffy nipples, some glandular tissue to be excised.  I cannot wait...

Offline nitrox987

• Bronze Member
Thanks for your kind words.
I read your thread and I think surgery will do wonders in your case, both psychologically and physically.
All the best for your surgery!

Offline grotesk_uk

• Posting Member
Amazing results - wow! I would be so happy if I could look like that in six months.

Offline nitrox987

• Bronze Member
Thanks!
If you decide to have surgery and pick an experienced surgeon I am sure your results will be just as good.
Good luck man!

Offline john661

• Posting Member
I know its been a long time since the last reply but I'm having surgery in two days with Dr Delgado and I must say you look awesome man. I'm hoping for the same results as you! I'm just terrified of surgery and I'm really nervous. Its nice to know Dr Gaynor will give me some stuff to relax a little though haha. Congrats man! Cant wait to have sex without a shirt on!

Offline HellandBack

• Bronze Member
Haha john nice! Yea these are great results gives us hope

Offline nitrox987

• Bronze Member
Thanks guys!
Sorry John, I am little late but I hope everything went well.
Take it easy for the next few days especially with the drains.
Good luck with your recovery!

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
Where did he hide the scars? Did he use a smaller incision than most doctors? Was ultrasonic uses or traditional lipo?

Thanks.

Offline Viking75

• Bronze Member
fantastic result, congrats

Offline nitrox987

• Bronze Member
The scars of the incisions are there but they are short and if you are not looking specifically for them they are invisible. Now, at 2 years post op they are barely visible even you look closely.

Concerning the scars for the lipo, they are high up in my armpits which makes them completely invisible. I am glad I don't have the two symmetrical lipo scars on the sides like I often see on post op pics.
I believe it was traditional lipo BTW.

Offline perry_78

looking really good, congrats buddy.

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
The scars of the incisions are there but they are short and if you are not looking specifically for them they are invisible. Now, at 2 years post op they are barely visible even you look closely.

Concerning the scars for the lipo, they are high up in my armpits which makes them completely invisible. I am glad I don't have the two symmetrical lipo scars on the sides like I often see on post op pics.
I believe it was traditional lipo BTW.

I agree completely. That is one of the first things I look at when considering a plastic surgeon.

Dr.Bermant, Dr. Revis, Dr. Albin all seem to have this style I think.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024