Author Topic: 25+ years secret, Just told my GP/mum/......booked surgery.  (Read 14366 times)

Offline tpuk

• Silver Member
8 months post op now; quick update.

Yeh its all good for my results; I feel 9/10 happy with the surgery.

I've been trying to get a tan on my upper body now because its been 24 YEARS !!!?? since it last caught sunlight.

OFC I got some mild sunburn, but UK folk never learn when the sun comes out I guess.

My mental state has waxed & waned with healing & resumption of drinking alcohol.

I don't feel that I should ever drink & I do not like the immediate associated effects like weight gain (I have maintained my weight as it was on surgery day though bc of how much exercise I do). Although I cannot physically consume anything like I used to - I still feel anything more than 1 time per week is too much - so that needs sorting.

On a positive note; I have attended a few social (not alcohol related) type group activities recently with good results; and this is a massive breakthrough for me in terms of my years of isolation and anxiety and panic disorder.

Tomorrow I'm off to meet a hiking group/s so its a big test for me (sorry I am talking like I would do on an anxiety forum - hope you understand).

On a side note a friend of mine has recently developed gyne @ 40 years of age - with a rapid onset over say 3 months, partly due to 2 medications he takes & probably alcohol. Its a very odd situation because he has never had any body fat & now has phseudo gyn/gyn developing. Not sure what to say, I can't tell him I had surgery for alot of other more complex reasons. He did do steroids - but that was over 4 years ago now.? He doesn't care though he just has his top off all the time its really turned my assumptions upside down lol.

GL guys :)

Offline tpuk

• Silver Member
Met a Lady the other night; she asked me to take my top off & I did. Felt fine - no anxiety ....different feeling

GL guys.

Offline tpuk

• Silver Member
I'm celebrating 1 year post-op (although I am sober :) )

thoughts still go out to all those guys suffering from gyne & kudos to those who have accepted/overcome it mentally.

GL all.

Offline thetodd

Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline sbarock

my son is 14, pretty severe case, wants this surgery bad.

He says he will wait if I want (i'm scared) but I shouldn't should I?

He's dealt with this all his life, now in high school, the teasing is much worse.

Are you super happy with your result? I mean, down deep happy?

How long did it take for recovery, he plays football and we have about 4 months until that starts.

thanks in advance. I'm anxious as heck.

Offline thetodd

Hes probably to young to have the surgery at 14, how long has he had it for?

If its been less than two years, it may be worth taking him to a doctor and seeing if hormone therapy can reverse it. If anti estrogens are took within the first couple of years the effects can be reversed. However if its been longer than this, he will need surgery but 14 is to young in my opinion some surgeons will do it but the majority will say wait a few years.

Recovery is hard mentally, im not sure if i could have coped with that at 14 to be honest.

Offline tpuk

• Silver Member
my son is 14, pretty severe case, wants this surgery bad.

He says he will wait if I want (i'm scared) but I shouldn't should I?

He's dealt with this all his life, now in high school, the teasing is much worse.

Are you super happy with your result? I mean, down deep happy?

How long did it take for recovery, he plays football and we have about 4 months until that starts.

thanks in advance. I'm anxious as heck.

A result of a cosmetic operation will not make me 'deep down happy', no. I would say only true love or being a father/mother evokes true happiness, or just a simple wellbeing.

Recovery was good, similar timeframe to a bruised rib maybe.

The mental scarring from the condition is worse. I am perfectly happy now with results - I don't know how long its been now but I makes a huge difference. I go hiking with my shirt off now & catch sun my skin never saw - I'm still sheepish about it but I don't care now.

Test for hormones etc, & wait till he is stable & get it done at some point.

Offline tpuk

• Silver Member
Hes probably to young to have the surgery at 14, how long has he had it for?

If its been less than two years, it may be worth taking him to a doctor and seeing if hormone therapy can reverse it. If anti estrogens are took within the first couple of years the effects can be reversed. However if its been longer than this, he will need surgery but 14 is to young in my opinion some surgeons will do it but the majority will say wait a few years.

Recovery is hard mentally, im not sure if i could have coped with that at 14 to be honest.

I agree with this, 14 is v young.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024