Author Topic: re:weight loss right b4 surgery?  (Read 5393 times)

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!
Do you think that losing too much weight in the weeks before surgery (say 6-10 weeks prior) , or being dehydrated in the days before, could give one's ps the impression that there is not that much fat on your chest, or that there isnt enough fat to risk doing too much lipo (which you would otherwise be in need of , on a normal day of a normal month in your life), and hence lead to the ps performing less lipo than he/she might really need to?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 03:15:57 PM by tonysoprano »
... and the saga continues

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!

Offline orrible

• Previously stonecold... 9.11.05 Surgery Levick
that a good question. I also would like to know the answer. I wouldnt think it would be a good idea to lose water though as water retention can add to gyne, so i would say its better to be more normal when going into surgery.

Have you got a revision date set yet T?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Lets get real.  We are talking about an area where fat normally deposits anyhow.

I'd suspect that any very recent change of weight just prior to surgery could be misleading to the surgeon.  

I'd suspect you'd get better results if your weight was fairly stable.  

That is of course only an educated guess.
Grandpa Dan

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!
Perhaps Dr B. has an angle on this one...

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!

DrBermant

Do you think that losing too much weight in the weeks before surgery (say 6-10 weeks prior) , or being dehydrated in the days before, could give one's ps the impression that there is not that much fat on your chest, or that there isnt enough fat to risk doing too much lipo (which you would otherwise be in need of , on a normal day of a normal month in your life), and hence lead to the ps performing less lipo than he/she might really need to?

In general, weight loss before surgery to what you feel comfortable is better than weight loss after surgery.  Losing weight gradually is better than rapid weight loss.  Skin tends to better adjust with slower weight loss.  Gradual weight loss tends to be a change of habit.  Rapid weight loss frequently fails.  I prefer my patients to be a stable weight before my male chest sculpture.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline toaster

• Gold Member
If you are planning on losing weight and are deciding whether to do it before or after surgery, I would highly recommend losing the weight after surgery.

Dr. Bermant basically only said not to lose weight too fast and that you should get surgery at the weight you're going to be permanently.  i.e. don't go on a crazy diet, have surgery, and then gain it all back after.

With that being said, I would suggest you not do anything special to lose weight before surgery.  While I would not say to try and gain weight (although that's what I did and was very happy I did), the surgeon will sculpt you for the body you've got on the day of surgery.  If you lose weight, the surgeon will take out less fat (because you'd have less fat).  This is fine if you're never going to gain the weight back again.  However if there's any chance you'll go back to your fatter weight, then you should be at your fatter weight for surgery.

If you're obese however, then it might not be possible to have the surgery at that weight, so you might have to permanently lose the weight first.

My weight fluctuates from 170 at the lowest to 195 at the highest (i'm 6'0").  I had 2 surgeries - the first with Bermant when i was in the low 170's.  He didn't take out nearly enough fat and I was unhappy with the results.  For my second surgery with Dr. Sanders, I deliberately gained 20 lbs.  He removed much more fat than Bermant and I am still very very happy with the results.

Offline orrible

Thats interesting an point toaster.

I also went into surgery slightly heavier than i would otherwise have done, thinking that my surgeon would remove the lot so i wouldnt be worrying about weight fluctuation as i got older or heavier for whatver reason. Anyway i still have been left with to much in also.

Can i ask how long you had to wait for until you were able to have revision surgery after your intial op? I to will be planning on having revision surgery so any info you can give me regarding this would be much appreciated.

Offline brm

• Bronze Member
Hi Stonecold. I have no answer for you but a question. I think I can remember you had gyno from anti hair loss drugs. How are you doing in this department. What's your exact regimen (internal and topical)? Are you successful?

Offline orrible

BRM

Yes thats correct. I have no regime to speak of now just nizoral twice a week. I continue to lose hair. I wont ever use internals again and havent tried topicals yet.

Offline brm

• Bronze Member
You should try minox. This can not have any antiandrogenic effects and may not entertain or worsen any gyne case. I've been on 5% for 7 years. I'm taking the plunge in a few days with the 15%. I'll tell you.

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!
thanks for response DOC.

toaster and others : I went into my op april last year quite significantly underweight (as I had worked very hard to get down  to a weight as low as possible, hoping and believing that my ps would think that for a guy as skinny, non-muscley and with as flat abs as I was, that nothing other than an absolutely low- fat ,surfboard-flat chest would suffice or look right for the extremely lean and zero muscle body that I presented with on the day. I believed that my ps would have simply thought this was my normal shape and that I was naturally this skinny, and thus my rather mild case of gyne was even more  unsuited to the rest of me.

however, at my 5 day post-op follow up it turned out that I had very little fat removed via lipo (to my shock only 15-20 cc per side of fat , my ps claimed) and that the great majority of my op was the excision paRT.

before my op a yr ago I got down to 58 kilos ( and Im 5'8 ft and was 24 years old at the time- scary!), but my normal average weight is around 62-64 kg (but almost none of it is muscle mass).

so heres my dilemma : am planning a revision for about 2 months from now, and am back at 64 kilos. Do I try and drop a couple (I feel and look better at 62 anyway) or just chill and cut down on my running regime for the next few months or do I take toaster's very ironic advice (ironic to the advice most people receive - to drop weight before the op - on an almost daily basis), and actually try to gain a few extra kilos for surgery day via lack of exercise and less than ideal diet??

Is this plausable , and likely to render a more satisfactory result post-op? especially if I get back in shape post-surgery , and lose more bodyfat)????

thanks fellas
any more advice on this issue greatly appreciated.

cheers
T

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!

Offline snugs

• Posting Member
Frankly, i wouldn't worry about your bodyfat too much. You can lose fat through diet and exercise - it isn't impossibly hard, despite what some people would make you think. But getting rid of the gland can only be accomplished by surgery.

In the end i think it would be best for you to talk to your surgeon about this. Share your concerns with him and see what he says.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024