Author Topic: Is Dr. Bermant the best surgeon?  (Read 3220 times)

Offline 6655321

• Posting Member
After reading tons of posts here Dr. Bermant in VA seems to have a very good reputation.  Is he generally recognized as one of the best surgeons?

Just curious because if so I'd be willing to travel up there to see him.  I really don't want to go to someone who isn't very good and end up with bad results.

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
I'm of the opinion that a surgeon is only as good as happy as their patients are.  It appears that Dr Bermant has a high caseload of male chest reduction patients and is very up to date on gynaecomastia, the pathology and specific surgical interventions.

By the way he talks about surgery on here and on his website, it's as if he is an artist as well as a surgeon, treating each and every patient as an individual with specific needs and as such talks about his 'artists pallet' and what tools are available to him for each specific patient.

I chose my surgeon via word of mouth, Mr Levick who practices in Birmingham UK.  He has a very high caseload for MCR.  He even had surgery for it himself, so is very empathetic to the problems associated with gynaecomastia.  Mr Levick usually always works from an incision in the armpit to do his work.  I am of the opinion (and it is only my opinion) that Mr Levick is more aggressive in fat and gland removal than most other surgeons who are either to cautious in removing too much tissue, too inexperienced or try to 'craft' what is there at the increased risk of revision work needed at a later time.

The main thing to ask any surgeon at consultation is about expectation management.  Ask him or her about unhappy patients and how they were dealt with.  Ask them why they use the technique the do.

Distance and cost of surgery should be one of the smaller considerations when choosing a surgeon.  I would advise seeing at least three surgeons and get in touch with past patients via this forum.

Dr Bermant is certainly held in high regard within this forum, but then I have not been in touch with any of his past patients.

I would guess at least half the UK guys go to Mr Levick.  Other UK guys would use him if they could afford him.  He does not advertise himself (he does not need to, but then in the UK surgeons are not allowed to).  So it follows that word of mouth is probably the best form of advertising.

I am one week post-op and so far delighted with Mr Levick's work.

Hope that helps.

Offline orrible

• Previously stonecold... 9.11.05 Surgery Levick

having been on this forum for almost one year now the names that come up the most frequently as experts of their craft are x and Dr Bermant. Of course try to see results for yourself and then make up your own mind on who best suits your needs.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 07:23:16 AM by cleanup »

Offline Hypo-is-here

First of all Dr Bermant has an excellent reputation and so maybe the correct choice of surgeon for you.

However as good a surgeon as he is and he is by all accounts excellent as I say, he is also brilliant at marketing himself on this site.  

No answer comes without a link to his site and a bit of marketing of himself.

He answers questions which is great and in return he also puts himself out there to a wide audience and potential clientel.  

That is fair enough.

BUT....

This sometimes gives the impression that he is the only capable surgeon out there and that is unequivically NOT the case.

There are many capable and probably equally competant surgeons out there.

The best surgeon from an individual standpoint is one that ticks all the right boxes, some of which are;

What is their reputation.

How many operations of this kind have they done and how many do they do per year.

Are they prepared to put you in touch with patients who have been through the procedure.

How much you trust them (relationship with a doctor is vital).  

How far away are they (important for the consultations, op and post op care)

What type of surgery are they willing to perform and what option do you prefer.

What are the costs

Will they perform a free revision if the surgery is not as successful as hoped?

So there are lots of very good surgeons and you may want to have consultations with a few different ones prior to making your decision.

Either way Dr Bermant is supposed to be one of the best

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
I completely agree with hypo.

I've talked with several guys who met Dr. Bermant's cannula.  I've come to the conclusion that, overall, they are happy with their results.

When you do as many as this guy seems to have done, you're bound to upset a few guys, but his record appears to be quite clean.

From what I've read, Dr. Bermant seems to be a great surgeon, but he's an even better self-promoter.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that since he's the only one who routinely participates on these boards, that he's the only one who can successfully remove gyne.  

The truth is, there's several surgeons I'd trust with my gyne.  It's simply a matter of finding the right one.  Hypo provided us with important questions that should be asked when interviewing surgeons.

Offline Preds

• Silver Member
Keep in mind

He may self promote some but he is the only doc I ever see on here giving advise,so give hime some slack for caring.  I personally think there are quite a few docs out there that are great.  To say one is the best is BS.  To say they are among the best would be correct.
Post surgery
Got my shirt off right now!!!!! lol

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
He may self promote some but he is the only doc I ever see on here giving advise,so give hime some slack for caring.

Calling him a self-promoter is a compliment, not a criticism.

Offline Hypo-is-here

Actually I think it is just a fact.

A fact upon which it is up to the reader to infer what they like.

IMHO I think Dr Bermant is cutting an even deal.  On the one hand he is giving free advice but on the other hand that advice comes at the price of blatant self promotion.

There is no such thing as a free meal ;)

As long as interests from both sides are served it strikes me as being a happy balance and most of the time that is what we see.

In answering a question like this though it would be irresponsible not to point out the fact that Dr Bermant is just one of many competent surgeon with great reputations.

The best surgeon is the one that ticks all the important boxes like I said- whoever that turns out to be.

P.S

But yea he is one of the best by all accounts.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 02:45:03 AM by Hypo-is-here »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024