Author Topic: hard to believe?  (Read 1951 times)

Offline reaper33

• Silver Member
many people including doctors say that 90 % of gyno cases disappear during or after puberty, is that a fact or a myth, because quite frankly no one so far has come up with a claim that their gyno disappeared on its own, i for one believe tats bull crap, once gyno kicks in it wont leave without a surgery, i had mine for 2 years not keen on waiting anymore, looking for surgeons in Chicago area. peace

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
My theory:

I believe that those who's gyne goes away just don't have it very long.  By the time they would get around to doing research and finding this site, it's already gone on its own. 

Those who finally find this web site have probably had the condition for a couple of years (on average) already and by that time it's permanent.   

That's why the vast majority of the people on these boards seem to have permanent gyne that requires surgery to get rid of.   The ones who's gyne went away just never post here.

Another thing that makes statistics seem out of kilter on the other side of surgery is that most people with successful surgeries never come back to gynecomastia.org.  I don't really blame them.  Those who have unsatisfactory results typically stay on the boards, though, discussing their various problems.  This situation would make it appear on the boards that the vast majority of surgeries are unsatisfactory, while the opposite is actually true. 
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline flex1appeal

Well, I was going to say pretty much what mr nip said but, well, he said it. So I'll sit back now.

Offline Hypo-is-here

Of course all theories here are speculation but;

What Nip has said sounds probable enough. 

I would also say that what is defined as gynecomastia by the medical community is also likely an issue in any statistical analysis.

For gynecomastia to be classified as such it has to be diagnosed, given the nature of the condition is embarrassing, I think it is a largely undiagnosed condition.  If I am right all statistical analysis is somewhat flawed. 

Also boys could see a lessoning of their gynecomastia towards the end of puberty and via some medical definitions considered to have a resolution of the problem- when in fact they themselves still may feel that they have gynecomastia.  Just by changing the definition/criteria/classification whatever you want to call it, you change the statistics and the picture/impression of what is true/going on.

Statistics and definitions are bound to play some part in the idea that 90% of gynecomastia resolves in puberty.

Oddly enough this statistic is completely at odds with the latest and almost certainly somewhat flawed statistics.. :)

It is worth remembering in such discussions (along the lines of what Nip said) that we here at this site are not necessarily representative of all gynecomastia sufferers and may present a somewhat unrepresentative/selective group.

The goalposts are on wheels, the best and latest of our knowledge is proven and universally true despite how little we may know until such time where the best of our knowledge is found to be flawed or invallidated by the advancement of what we know and a greater level of understanding/knowledge.  I quote the latest truth as being the truth as this is the nature of science and all we can go off.  You might think I have just spoke in riddles, in fact I have stated the very nature of how scientific learning works and its greatest flaw, something known as the paradigm shift.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 10:18:15 AM by Hypo-is-here »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024