Author Topic: Minor Gynecomastia  (Read 5374 times)

Offline chris330

• Posting Member
Hi, I'm 17 and I've had a small case of gynecomastia for around 4 years now.  Everything that I've read/heard said to wait till after puberty stages to see if it goes and if it doesn't do something about it.  But, Its been 4 years and I really do not think its going away.  It's pretty minor but it still really bother me because my nipples get really puffy and i can see the actual shape of the gland. Now, I was just wondering what you guys think i should do about it keep waiting even though its been 4 years or try to do something about it. 

Thanks

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
Welcome to gyne.org, chris330.

Has your gynecomastia been about the same over the past 4 years or does it seem like the tissue might still be growing?  If it's always been about the same over those 4 years, chances are the condition has stabilized enough and you could consider surgery if you wanted to.  At 17 and 4 years of basically unchanged gynecomastia, I wouldn't think the chances are good that it would correct itself.  

If you think the tissue is still changing/growing, or if you've definitely noticed more changes over the past few months, then the condition hasn't stabilized yet....in which case, you shouldn't have surgery yet.  

With a picture, or two, it would be easier to gauge the likelihood of whether it could still go away and get a general opinion from others on whether they think surgery is justified for you.  

Probably a visit to a gyne surgeon would be in order just to get their opinion on your questions.  

Offline chris330

• Posting Member
How can i get the pictures up if i can't post links to websites?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
By the way, from a surgeon's perspective, there is no such thing as "minor" gynecomastia.

Each type of gyne, from small to medium to large, requires specific treatment by your surgeon.  Make sure the surgeon is interested and experienced in gyne surgery.  Since this elective surgery, take your time and choose your surgeon carefully.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline chris330

• Posting Member
I was also told that I should have my hormones checked or something along those lines?

DrBermant

Hi, I'm 17 and I've had a small case of gynecomastia for around 4 years now.  Everything that I've read/heard said to wait till after puberty stages to see if it goes and if it doesn't do something about it.  But, Its been 4 years and I really do not think its going away.  It's pretty minor but it still really bother me because my nipples get really puffy and i can see the actual shape of the gland. Now, I was just wondering what you guys think i should do about it keep waiting even though its been 4 years or try to do something about it. 
Thanks

I was also told that I should have my hormones checked or something along those lines?

Gynecomastia that has not resolved by 2 years, typically does not go away on its own. Waiting arbitrarily until someone finishes puberty who has stable gynecomastia makes little sense. I have seen many patients angry at their parents and other doctors who encouraged a wait and see approach. Even the contour of subtle puffy nipple gynecomastia can cause a great deal of emotional stress. I have addressed the emotional aspect and examples of younger patients and gynecomastia surgery on this forum:

https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=18595.msg128332;topicseen#msg128332

Hormones are best checked by an Endocrinologist. Not all patients need an endocrinology evaluation. Those with unstable issues do. With the help of endocrinologists over the years, I have evolved a Red Flag System system of Gynecomastia Symptoms.  This method was received well during my invited Gynecomastia lecture at the American Association Of Clinical Endocrinologists 2008 national meeting.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.
Board Certified
American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member: American Society of Plastic Surgeons and American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
Specializing in Gynecomastia and Surgical Sculpture of the Male Chest
(804) 748-7737

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
Assuming you are not overweight, it is unlikely that your chest size will change signficantly after having gynecomastia for 4 years. I deal a lot with patients who have what would be considered mild gynecomastia. Often, they are far more concerned with their chest than anyone else. If fact, many people will tell them that they do not have a problem at all. Still, they are very concerned with their chest. The decision, chris, is up to you. If your chest is affecting you than you should have it taken care of. At 17, your skin quality is likely prestine and your results, if done by an experienced plastic surgeon, should be excellent. If it doesn't bother you than there is no reason to do it at all. Good luck
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024