Author Topic: A few of the usual post-op questions...  (Read 6218 times)

Offline Second_Timer

• Posting Member
Hello there,

I'm now 5 days post-op and had a couple of questions for some of the guys in the know out there....

1) The foam pad that Fielding put on:  How long do I need to keep this thing on?  Will Dr. F take this off when I go in for my 1 week post-op next week?

2) The tensor bandage:  What is its purpose?  How long should I be wearing it after Dr. F. takes the foam pad off?

3) Compression vests: Are they recommended? Would other clothing items like "Under Armour" or a tight tank top to the same thing? Does anyone know a good place in Toronto to get one?  I looked around, but haven't had any luck yet...

Thanks!
-ST

Offline CCSCC

• Posting Member
Dr. Fielding told me that SportChek sells fairly cheap compressions vests... for like 29.99 .
Itz obviously not as good as the real medical ones, but used in combination with the tensor, im sure itll werk great.

Offline rancho

• Posting Member
I'd also like to know these questions.
SEcond timer, how did the surg go?
When is your post op?
please keep us posted.
i go in next week....

Offline Second_Timer

• Posting Member
Thanks CCSCC, I'll go checkout ShortChek...  I noticed that Amazon.com sells the Underworks brand of medical compression vests as well.  I think it comes out to $39.99 US with shipping, so I'll go checkout the sportcheck one to see what they are like first.

Surgery went really well (I think).  Its hard to tell at this point because I'm still wearing the foam pad, so I haven't seen a full view of my peck yet.  I go in for my Post op tomorrow and will write an update on my other post once I can see how things look....

My one recomendation is to fill your place with some good vids or games to kill the time while you're healing up :)

Good Luck in the surgery Rancho!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Hello there,

I'm now 5 days post-op and had a couple of questions for some of the guys in the know out there....

1) The foam pad that Fielding put on:  How long do I need to keep this thing on?  Will Dr. F take this off when I go in for my 1 week post-op next week?

JCF will take the pads off during your post-op check-up.

2) The tensor bandage:  What is its purpose?  How long should I be wearing it after Dr. F. takes the foam pad off?

The tensor bandage just holds the healing flesh together. You should wear the tensor wrap or other compression garment for about 3 weeks post-op.

3) Compression vests: Are they recommended? Would other clothing items like "Under Armour" or a tight tank top to the same thing? Does anyone know a good place in Toronto to get one?  I looked around, but haven't had any luck yet...

It doesn't really matter what type of compression garment you wear as long as you do apply compression to the surgery site. Personally, I don't think that you really need a 'full' upper-body vest as you really only need to apply compression at the chest area.

A medical supply shop called C.I.M.S. Home Health Care carries what is called an Abdominal Binder made by a company called Dale Medical Products Inc.. If you click on the 'Contact Us' link on the CIMS Home Page, you will find a location closest to you. I bought the Dale Ab Binder for my post-op recovery and it was awesome. However, there was a member here recently, who also bought the Ab Binder and didn't like it. He went back to the tensor that was supplied by the hospital. Can't please everyone I guess  ::).

Anyways, you may want to check into the Ab Binder. I found it to be helpfull. With the Velcro fastener, it was very easy to put on and take off. It gave good compression, did not make me feel itchy and did not slide around like the hospital tensor wrap did.

Good luck with whatever compression garment you choose! ;)

John.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 10:31:02 AM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline fourrings

• Posting Member
I was told by Dr Fielding that it wasn't necessary to wear the tensor bandage while I slept.  Is that what others are doing as well?

Offline Raven

• Silver Member
I was told by Dr Fielding that it wasn't necessary to wear the tensor bandage while I slept.  Is that what others are doing as well?

He never mentioned this to me..
I've been wearing mine at all times, and only removed to shower.

Offline rancho

• Posting Member
Is it hard to put the tensor on yourself or do you need help?

Offline Raven

• Silver Member
I was able to put mine on alone.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I did the opposite... I wore my tensor mainly at night... To each his own....

John

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Is it hard to put the tensor on yourself or do you need help?

I found it very difficult to put the hospital supplied tensor on. That was one of the reasons that I bought the Ab Binder. The Ab Binder is very easy to put on and take off....

John

Offline rancho

• Posting Member
Off Topic:

If surgery is at 8am....
what time approx would it be over.
I don't want my gf waiting at the hospital for hours, if anything, i'll wait for her...

Offline Raven

• Silver Member
Off Topic:

If surgery is at 8am....
what time approx would it be over.
I don't want my gf waiting at the hospital for hours, if anything, i'll wait for her...

They ask you to be at the hospital 2-3 hours before surgery.. so is your surgery scheduled for 8:00am, or were you told to be at the hospital for 8:00am?

My surgery took 1 hour 10 minutes.
then you are in recovery for a little bit.

Offline Second_Timer

• Posting Member
Thanks John.

I ended up getting a full compression vest; but if I don't like it, I'll just send 'er back to Amazon.

- ST

Offline Second_Timer

• Posting Member
Hey guys,

What happens during the 2nd consultation with Dr. F?

Due to a scheduling conflict I'm going to have to cancel my appointment with him and was wondering if it was a big deal??  If its just another hour wait followed by 5 minutes of "looks good", than I can skip it I figure.... I'm now 16 days post op.  Most of the bruising and swelling seems to be gone.  There is a hard tissue feeling underneath, but I assume that this is the "scar" tissue some of you vets have described.  

Any advice is appreciated :)

- ST

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024