Author Topic: An exhaustive list of what to take to surgery.  (Read 4011 times)

Offline doddy

• 06/04/2005.
This is really mainly aimed at those who have gone with Levick, but I'm sure others can make use of it too.

I was told what to bring, but I've sort of forgotten. Anyone care to help? Also, what do you wish you'd taken along that wasn't mentioned? So basically, let's just compile a list of stuff you have to take / did take and was useful / wish you'd taken.. etc etc.

Right, go!

Cheers.  ;)
etc.

Offline AJP

• Silver Member
Hehe. Quite nostalgic for me this, I remember asking much the same question!

1. Change of kegs and socks.
2. Toothbrush and toothpaste.
3. Magazines.
4. The money (unless you've paid beforehand).
5. Dressing gown/pyjamas.
6. Slippers (If you don't have any they can provide some).
7. Err....
8. That's it I think.

I'm sure there is something else but just take the sort of stuff you'd take if you were staying out overnight.

Oh, nearly forgot:

9. Prepare some chat-up lines for the nurses. ;)
Another happy Levick Lad.

Offline AJP

• Silver Member
One more thing (on a serious note this time!), if you can take a button-up shirt for the next day things will be MUCH easier. You have very little movement in your arms for a good week after the op, and putting a T-Shirt on is quite tricky!

Good luck :)

Offline doddy

• 06/04/2005.
Arnica?

Thanks for the button up shirt tip.

Offline Yorkshireman

• Silver Member
I travelled REALLY light when I went....barely took anything.....Take your mobile so you can chat to someone , as you'll get bored of daytime tv/waiting around....

Other than that, during my 3 days stay, I never one thought 'wish i'd bought xyz '...

Offline doddy

• 06/04/2005.
Oh yeah, a question:

Where do you put your wallet / mobile / keys etc when you're actually being operated on?

Offline John1984

• Bronze Member
  • Surgery done, all good
Don't take any humourous magazines.  I took Viz and I nearly bust my stitches out reading it.
My girlfriend bought me one of those Joystick things that you plug into to the TV and can play Pacman, Space Invaders, Asteroids etc....
You don't need much really, it's not a big deal.  It's only 1 day and you won't get bored on those drugs.  Man you'll be high as a kite.
Surgery performed on 29th March by Mr. Mark Gittos
Pre-Op Pictures: http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/j0hn_1984/album?.dir=/91c8
Post-Op pictures coming as soon as I can work out how to use my camera

Offline littlesmurf

I got stuck in an NHS hospital overnight and was very glad I'd brought a spare set of sleep shorts and top.  After sitting around all day postop one of the little drains fell of and bleed all over me, very unpleasent.

I also got my wife to bring in my laptop and several dvd's (post op).

Spare set of clothing incase something goes wrong, definate must.

Offline AJP

• Silver Member
Arnica?

Thanks for the button up shirt tip.

Yeah, take your arnica, just remember to put it somewhere within reach of your bed for after the op. Getting in and out of bed becomes quite a task. Especially on the painkillers; one minute you're fine, the next you're on the verge of fainting.

Don't be afraid of buzzing a nurse into your room; the less you have to do, the better.

John1984, I cannot agree more. Reading 'Top Tips' while high on Tramadol may not be the wisest idea! ;D

Offline uk_bloke

• Bronze Member
    • my pictures
doddy ,

i think they offer to put your valuables in the safe while your in theatre ,i just left my wallet and stuff in my bag in the rooms cupboard ( at that stage my wallet was pretty damn empty!)

cd walkman is a good idea to take with you.

oh and best if you trim  your armpit hair down a bit and your upper  chest hair ,this'll make the removal of the sticky bandage less painful.

good luck ,

enjoy,

paul.

Offline doddy

• 06/04/2005.
Cheers everyone. Literally 30 seconds before I read this thread again, I started having seriously freaky thoughts about the entire operation, conjuring up images of my parents at my funeral and stuff..

:-/

Offline AJP

• Silver Member
Woah mate, chill out!

Mr Levick is VERY experienced and his team are just as good. As has been said so many times, you're in safe hands. It is natural to get the odd nightmarish thought, so don't get put off.

It can't be long for you now anyway Doddy. The last few days before the op are the longest, then it's very simple and easy from then on.

All the best.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 01:07:42 AM by AJP »

Offline doddy

• 06/04/2005.
Tomorrrrrrrrrrrowwww.

Got dressed today and noticed a few t-shirts that I never wear anymore. In all fairness, I'm not sure how I ever wore them. Must have looked like a bit of a tw*t  ;)

But yeah. I've calmed down now. Got everything ready (HSBC bankers draft for £3655 made out to Mr. P L Levick, hotel room, train tickets.. etc), just waiting now really.

It all seems very surreal.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024